Seventh`s decorating tips......

Seventh777

RIP Roy
Planet Tharg, dark side, where nothing grows.
After watching those renovating programmes and their *experts* I am appalled at some of the tips the so called experts give, one in particular was mastic sealing new/old bathroom suites and tiling, after biting my tongue whilst watching the overpaid and obviously under-trained tradesmen wrongly put masking tape above and below where the mastic joint was to be applied, and then smoothing it with his finger, I turned the T.V. off and decided to create this thread (which I will be adding to every Friday), in the hopes of undoing all the entirely wrong crap advice they spew out.

Okay, back to this weeks top tips, and hopefully turn a nightmarish task into one that you will finally enjoy, and the final job looking like it was done by experts, for this job you will need..

1). A mastic gun, purchase this from a decorating suppliers merchant rather than a cheap and nasty version from your local D.I.Y. store, any aspect of decorating should be addressed thus - If you want it to look professional then use professional tools and materials (I will cover this more intricately in the future when I give painting tips), just to add, there is very little in the price difference`s between a poor and solidly constructed mastic gun, the latter ofc will last a whole lot longer and give a far smoother fluid dispersion.

2). Silicone sealant, this will also be available at a decorating suppliers merchant.

3). Any empty spray dispensing bottle (Mr Muscle type etc).

4). A chopstick type small piece of wood, with the ends chamfered to a roughly 45 degree angle, as these are tapered they give two different sizes (depending how wide your mastic joint will be), if you are applying mastic to several joints and some are larger or vice versa then shapen other stick-like pieces of wood to suit.

5). A bucket.

6). Washing up liquid.

7). A sharp blade (crafting knife, box cutter, Stanley knife).

8). A decoraters sponge.

Okay, firstly cut the nozzle on the tube of sealant to roughly 45 degrees again (do not cut to far down the nozzle as this will lead to way to much mastic coming out), make sure the surfaces where you are applying are dust free and bone dry, if you have never used a mastic gun before go outside somewhere and practise on something that is none significant and has a right angle, once you have perfected how/when to stop/start squeezing the trigger and creating a neat and tidy line, go back into your bathroom/kitchen/wet-room (utility room).

Fill the bucket/spray bottle with clean cold water and add a squeeze of washing up liquid, put the sponge and all the shaped sticks into the bucket of cold water and let them soak. Apply the mastic to every single joint that needs masticating and leave for roughly 10 minutes, spray water, using your bottle, liberally all over the mastic you have just applied making sure the areas above and under the mastic are well covered, take out one of your shaped sticks and gently run the angled edge over the mastic thus creating a smooth and tidy straight joint, any excess mastic will ooze onto the damp surfaces and this will prevent it from sticking and make clearing up the excess mastic nice and easy, clean this off with your firmly squeezed sponge, if you are going to be using the mastic again at a later date then place a tight fighting screw into the nozzle keeping it air free.

There, hope this has helped those D.I.Y. fanatics out there to accomplish a very professional looking job, with relative ease and cost affective.

Tune in next week for a very user friendly, detailed, instructional how to, on that absolutely nightmarish task of Gyproc Coving.

Bye for now....

Roy.

Last edited:
After watching those renovating programmes and their *experts* I am appalled at some of the tips the so called experts give, one in particular was mastic sealing new/old bathroom suites and tiling, after biting my tongue whilst watching the overpaid and obviously under-trained tradesmen wrongly put masking tape above and below where the mastic joint was to be applied, and then smoothing it with his finger, I turned the T.V. off and decided to create this thread (which I will be adding to every Friday), in the hopes of undoing all the entirely wrong crap advice they spew out.

Okay, back to this weeks top tips, and hopefully turn a nightmarish task into one that you will finally enjoy, and the final job looking like it was done by experts, for this job you will need..

1). A mastic gun, purchase this from a decorating suppliers merchant rather than a cheap and nasty version from your local D.I.Y. store, any aspect of decorating should be addressed thus - If you want it to look professional then use professional tools and materials (I will cover this more intricately in the future when I give painting tips), just to add, there is very little in the price difference`s between a poor and solidly constructed mastic gun, the latter ofc will last a whole lot longer and give a far smoother fluid dispersion.

2). Silicone sealant, this will also be available at a decorating suppliers merchant.

3). Any empty spray dispensing bottle (Mr Muscle type etc).

4). A chopstick type small piece of wood, with the ends chamfered to a roughly 45 degree angle, as these are tapered they give two different sizes (depending how wide your mastic joint will be), if you are applying mastic to several joints and some are larger or vice versa then shapen other stick-like pieces of wood to suit.

5). A bucket.

6). Washing up liquid.

7). A sharp blade (crafting knife, box cutter, Stanley knife).

8). A decoraters sponge.

Okay, firstly cut the nozzle on the tube of sealant to roughly 45 degrees again (do not cut to far down the nozzle as this will lead to way to much mastic coming out), make sure the surfaces where you are applying are dust free and bone dry, if you have never used a mastic gun before go outside somewhere and practise on something that is none significant and has a right angle, once you have perfected how/when to stop/start squeezing the trigger and creating a neat and tidy line, go back into your bathroom/kitchen/wet-room (utility room).

Fill the bucket/spray bottle with clean cold water and add a squeeze of washing up liquid, put the sponge and all the shaped sticks into the bucket of cold water and let them soak. Apply the mastic to every single joint that needs masticating and leave for roughly 10 minutes, spray water, using your bottle, liberally all over the mastic you have just applied making sure the areas above and under the mastic are well covered, take out one of your shaped sticks and gently run the angled edge over the mastic thus creating a smooth and tidy straight joint, any excess mastic will ooze onto the damp surfaces and this will prevent it from sticking and make clearing up the excess mastic nice and easy, clean this off with your firmly squeezed sponge, if you are going to be using the mastic again at a later date then place a tight fighting screw into the nozzle keeping it air free.

There, hope this has helped those D.I.Y. fanatics out there to accomplish a very professional looking job, with relative ease and cost affective.

Tune in next week for a very user friendly, detailed, instructional how to, on that absolutely nightmarish task of Gyproc Coving.

Bye for now....

Roy.

Good enough to eat then:D

Errr, what am I masticating? or rather masticing?

Buffalo wings sound really good! *slaps Nate, wasn't hungry...*

so . I head off to purchase a few tubes of mastication. found tons of caulking, but alas, no mastication in a tube, so I ask the clerk for help. i let her read this thread from my android app... she suggested maybe ordering some online. any local dealers from the other side of the pond have mastication tubes in stock, willing to ship to U.S.?, or are we "protected" by our government from indulging in such heinous things as that ?:D

so . I head off to purchase a few tubes of mastication. found tons of caulking, but alas, no mastication in a tube, so I ask the clerk for help. i let her read this thread from my android app... she suggested maybe ordering some online. any local dealers from the other side of the pond have mastication tubes in stock, willing to ship to U.S.?, or are we "protected" by our government from indulging in such heinous things as that ?:D

I know you are protected from SMOKING joints, but didn't think this also applied to mastication. In fact, both mastication AND smoking of joints is legal in Holland, provided it is done in designated "bars" or "coffee shops":D

I know you are protected from SMOKING joints, but didn't think this also applied to mastication. In fact, both mastication AND smoking of joints is legal in Holland, provided it is done in designated "bars" or "coffee shops":D

hmmm...do they have slots at said "coffee shops" ?

(probably wouldn't matter. I'd get asked for identification and they wouldn't let me play as I'm from the US) :)

Choices, Choices...

Diagrams or diaphragms??

First one, and then the other!

Handymen are rather handy, its even in the name! :p

In all seriousness though- I could use some help around my house. I've got a beautiful apartment here in Tel Aviv that I'd like to improve on the cheap, since the plan is to knock the building down in the next year or so.

The apartment was once even featured in a Greek Travel Magazine to represent the 'Tel Aviv' lifestyle.

One of the things I'd like to do is add weather-stripping of some kind to the windows and doors, and to perhaps get something to help cover the cracks in the walls.

Seven- you wouldn't happen to have a good recipe for a plaster I could figure out how to do Fresco with, do you? I think it look pretty damn cool for me to use some color on the walls in such a way.. The place already looks bohemian and generally great to chill out in.

I really want to seal the windows better to help with my dust problem!

Anywho- any help is appreciated! Thanks :thumbsup:

First one, and then the other!

Handymen are rather handy, its even in the name! :p

In all seriousness though- I could use some help around my house. I've got a beautiful apartment here in Tel Aviv that I'd like to improve on the cheap, since the plan is to knock the building down in the next year or so.

The apartment was once even featured in a Greek Travel Magazine to represent the 'Tel Aviv' lifestyle.

One of the things I'd like to do is add weather-stripping of some kind to the windows and doors, and to perhaps get something to help cover the cracks in the walls.

Seven- you wouldn't happen to have a good recipe for a plaster I could figure out how to do Fresco with, do you? I think it look pretty damn cool for me to use some color on the walls in such a way.. The place already looks bohemian and generally great to chill out in.

I really want to seal the windows better to help with my dust problem!

Anywho- any help is appreciated! Thanks :thumbsup:

Firstly - My plastering skills are very limited and cover the basics that are normally required in day to day circumstances, so, rather than give you poor or inadequate advice, this guy explains the art of Fresco/Pargetting beautifully....
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Back to your apartment and tips/advice, I have a better idea for my thread, as from this Friday I will create an imaginary room scenario that has just been built/re-plastered, in doing this I will then cover every single aspect of decorating a room from scratch, starting at pre-filling before a mist coat to fine filling pre -top coat, anyway`s stay tuned and hopefully when i`m done I will have saved you loads of cash, whilst your bachelor pad will be elevated to love nest status ;).

Tile, Tile!

Okay, let`s see just how building savvy my captive audience are, you have a bathroom to tile and will need the relevant tools, list the tools you will need to buy or borrow from a friend ;).

Trowel. Water. Sand. Grout-Mixture (I tend to like a thin-set). I always get a puddy-knife. I'm also very fond of a cheap silicone spatula to make the grout particularly nice.

Luckily, In Israel, the sand is already in my apartment- under the tiles. I'll need, at best, one good bucket to just make sure everything is properly level.

Best thing is its really easy to do in spurts- a little on a weekend or day off!

I'll admit though, my tile laying skills have not had any practice for about fifteen years at this point- last time I did tile work was for my Father, in Florida for his swimming pool construction company! :p

Trowel. Water. Sand. Grout-Mixture (I tend to like a thin-set). I always get a puddy-knife. I'm also very fond of a cheap silicone spatula to make the grout particularly nice.

Luckily, In Israel, the sand is already in my apartment- under the tiles. I'll need, at best, one good bucket to just make sure everything is properly level.

Best thing is its really easy to do in spurts- a little on a weekend or day off!

I'll admit though, my tile laying skills have not had any practice for about fifteen years at this point- last time I did tile work was for my Father, in Florida for his swimming pool construction company! :p

I should have made my question more precise, I meant tiling walls (ceramic tiles) and not floor tiles ;).

are the walls up?, or will i be neeeding to install concrete backer board? I guess ill need to have my mastic (tile adhesive here in the states) not the caulk stuff you were eating in the beginning of this thread, :D and a trowel. notched, depending on size of the tile. tile saw, grinder to cut around the shower control valve. maybe a ceramic hole saw, depending on where the spouts layout on the tile, or again, use the grinder. drop cloth to put in the tube so as not to get it all gummed up with the inevitable blob of glue/ grout that WILL fall onto the tub/shower pan. beer, plenty of beer. (kinda goes without sayin') little platic spacers, if the tiles arent lugged or if you wanna be really anal about it, although I can set by eye quite well. caulk and a caulk gun (not a cheap gun either) thats why most homeowners cant caulk (masticate) to save their lives...grout float, sponge, beer. :)

I should have made my question more precise, I meant tiling walls (ceramic tiles) and not floor tiles ;).

Now we both look like fools! Quick! Make a distraction!!!!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Now book it, Seven!!

Actually- my 'for the walls' project involves me collecting tons of sea-glass from the beach and making mosaics on my walls... For that? I'll probably use the same plaster I'd use for the Fresco project, and likely make the project two-tier.

With the cracks that are in my walls/Ceiling I really think it look neat to have just sections of tile mosaic and fresco.

With the high ceilings and arches. Well. Its pretty special! :)

are the walls up?, or will i be neeeding to install concrete backer board? I guess ill need to have my mastic (tile adhesive here in the states) not the caulk stuff you were eating in the beginning of this thread, :D and a trowel. notched, depending on size of the tile. tile saw, grinder to cut around the shower control valve. maybe a ceramic hole saw, depending on where the spouts layout on the tile, or again, use the grinder. drop cloth to put in the tube so as not to get it all gummed up with the inevitable blob of glue/ grout that WILL fall onto the tub/shower pan. beer, plenty of beer. (kinda goes without sayin') little platic spacers, if the tiles arent lugged or if you wanna be really anal about it, although I can set by eye quite well. caulk and a caulk gun (not a cheap gun either) thats why most homeowners cant caulk (masticate) to save their lives...grout float, sponge, beer. :)

Lol, you included the most important workman`s tool - beer, I won`t reveal all just yet, in-case more people answer, but, I hasten to add you have forgotten a vital and always overlooked tool ;).

Now we both look like fools! Quick! Make a distraction!!!!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Now book it, Seven!!

Actually- my 'for the walls' project involves me collecting tons of sea-glass from the beach and making mosaics on my walls... For that? I'll probably use the same plaster I'd use for the Fresco project, and likely make the project two-tier.

With the cracks that are in my walls/Ceiling I really think it look neat to have just sections of tile mosaic and fresco.

With the high ceilings and arches. Well. Its pretty special! :)

Yours is a completely different task in hand from the normal cookie cutter tiling scenario, if you are going to create a mosaic I would strongly advice you use adhesive backing mats, this makes the job a whole heap easier ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back