Sen Harry Reid Wants to legalize online poker

ksech

Dormant account
Maybe Barney Frank is thoroughly searching for a must approve bill he can attach his HR2267 to, like they did with the UIGEA?

nisosbar

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
Why weakens nisosbar? :) or is that a derail?

As you may be aware, social security is financed in part by payroll taxes - those automatic payments made on your behalf like unemployment insurance premiums. Currently, such taxes are about 6%. Obama proposes reducing this tax to 2 or 3%. His own deficit commission claims that social security is fiscally weak; so why are they making it fiscally weaker by reducing the payroll tax? If anything, a Democratic president should be strengthening it.

As to why it upsets me, that's because for many people, social security will be the only thing they have to count on in their retirement years. For better or worse, that is much more important (to me) than anything else up for consideration. Cheers. :)

felicie

Dormant account
It is attached to the tax cut bill and the republicans DO want that so I imagine it's all about scratching each others backs? It sure is comforting to be constantly reminded that these back scratching politicians treat every day issues important in our lives as if they were on 'Lets make a Deal'. Come on down Senator! will it be door #1 or door #2 or this little box with a big red bow. :rolleyes:

P.V.

webmeister
Online poker draft, Harry Reid.

I haven't seen this posted yet, so here you go. This is the current draft for the legalization of online poker within the U.S..

Kind of boring but for those who want to keep up, some of it is interesting.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

felicie

Dormant account
Thanks P.V. and that's the last time I'm reading it as I cannot find anything positive or good about it in regards to what I've come to enjoy as online gambling. The 'regulatory regime' is moving in. :(

jetset

RIP Brian
ESPN's Andrew Feldman is quoting informed sources as saying that the Reid bill is dead in the water and will go no further in the few days remaining of this Congress - either as a standalone or attached to the coattails of some other bill.

It appears that Barney Frank's HR 2267 is going the same way, unless he can pull something out of the hat at the last moment.

<sigh> another year lost...

jetset

RIP Brian
Harry Reid's last hurrah as this year's Senate Majority Leader - this was the spending bill onto which some speculated he would try to tack his legalised poker proposal.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

felicie

Dormant account
Sounds like one hell of a big mess and you probably couldn't find the poker bill or anything else in it for that matter.
As it stands, we really don't know where the poker bill is do we. The repubs probably put it in File 13 and you know what that means.
I like the part where Reid's going to work with Mitch to produce a bill to keep the federal government running into early next year. And then what? I think they should quit running and take care of business.