Saying a Final Goodbye To a Pet (Friend)

LaurieJim

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
At 9:45 p.m, we lost our beloved Dixie, a wonderful family member of 13 years, a pet who rode with me to school everyday to drop the girls off and pick them up again.

I was with Dixie when he took his last breath and held him in my arms, it was like losing someone, not just a pet, but a dear friend.

We took him, wrapped up in his favorite blanket to his vet who met us after businesss hours and we all said our last goodbyes, they will be picking Dixie up in the morning to be cremated and his ashes given back to us in a small box.

I never knew how much this would hurt, im a strong person but i guess not strong enough, im hurting so bad......................laurie

R.I.P Dixie

LJ it is very hard to put a beloved pet down as the love us unconditionally (sp) no matter how much we yell at them or shake that newspaper at them we had to put my daughters dog down a few months afo an he was just 7 yrs old but was ate up with cancer it is very very hard
It is also hard on the dog we still have they was both males an did things that drove me nuts but we still love them Rusty is buried in our backyard the Grandkids made little headstobes for Rusty an 1 day soon they will be doin it for Ace also
Heart is with you

hugs
Cindy:)

Commiserations LJ. Losing a beloved furry one can be a lot harder than many people realize.

Ahh Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear that Dixie passed away. It is always very hard losing a dearly beloved pet such as he was to you. It will take some time for you to get over, that's for sure. I know when we lost one of ours last year it was very hard for us for several weeks trying to get used to the fact they were no longer around. We had her cremated too and set her pic and collar together to remember her by. :)
____
____

My heart goes out to you. I too lost 2 of my furry children recently. My backyard is beginning to look like a pet cemetery. To most (and this is just an assumption on my part) they are more than just pets. They are family members. You love them, you get angry with them, you confide in them. They love you unconditionally and are some of the best support when things are tough. They are great listeners and won't ever tell you things you don't want to hear. They can be great at cheering you up, giving you comfort when you need it, and have the ability to make you laugh at some of their antics. There is no greater gift we can give ourselves than a furry friend. This is what makes it so difficult when their end is near.

A poem for you, one of my favorites...

A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

Laurie I'm so sorry to hear that Dixie passed away.
Our pets are our children.
We had a friend of ours just lost a great friend after 14 years this past Thurs.
R.I.P Dixie
B-T
Link Removed ( Old/Invalid)
Expired Image

I too am sorry for your loss. I will say though, that you really haven't lost your friend, since you will be seeing them around the house for a long time after, as we did our Prissy after we lost her after 18 years.

To this day I see her peeking around corners and such from the corner of my eye. My hearfelt sympathy goes out to you, but be on the lookout for those small tells your Dixie is going to leave you to get your attention.

Laurie....I am so sorry..I have been through this more times than I care to remember. They are our friends, "children", we take care of them and they us. They are devoted and don't care what we look like in the morning....they ask for so little. Dixie will always be a part of you....it takes time...take care.

Karen

My heart goes out to you.

I lost my little guy several months ago, his death left a huge hole in my life.

But life does go on.

We got a new 8 week old puppy a few days ago... He is so cute... Ahh it starts all over again...

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you, Laurie. It is always terrible to lose a pet that you have loved and cared for.

I always thought it would get easier as I got older, but no, it seems to take a bigger piece out of you when you lose them.

Over time, the sorrow fades some and the happier memories take over.

Take Care, Laurie.

Laurie,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs are such wonderful family members and I know the pain you are feeling right now. In time the pain will ease, and you will be left with happy memories of Dixie.

i know what you are going through the same thing happened with mine 14 years and i held him till it was over too it's been 2 years and i still miss him and can't not bring myself to get another it is too hard to go through that again i am sorry for you loss take care

ahhh Laurie...I must be a big softie cause I got the sniffles reading your post. :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you're feeling, I lost my best friend a few years ago and I still miss him even though I have a new best friend now. It's bloody hard. Hang in there. ((hug))

Dear Laurie, I am very sorry and know how you feel. A few years ago we had to take our dog, a german boxer, to the vet and have him put to sleep, after they found he had a brain tumor. When a beloved pet is dead, there are still nice and memories left.

Balky

What a cutie.

I'm sorry for your loss. I am dreading the day when I have to go through what you have gone through.

I like that you are going to have Dixie forever with his ashes.

Thank You

I wanted to say thank you for those nice and healing words from my fellow meister members, i just picked up Dixie's ashes and i felt like its brought me to having some closure.

They gave me a certificate with a beautiful poem and i wanted to share it with those of you who have lost a dear friend in the past, i found peace when i read it.

Thanks again guys for being there, you will never know how much your kind words meant to me:)................laurie

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Precious Pets!

My heart goes out to you! It is hard to say goodbye. I have had dogs and cats for over 20 years. . . . . . They all came to me, I didn't have to go looking . . . . . . my Husband says there is a giant neon sign above our home . . . stating: if you need a home, this is it!
Losing a pet is so difficult, but, I have been fortunate to have had the pleasure (and, Treasure) of many long walks, many fireside chats and more cuddles that I can count . . . . . and that makes for many precious memories!

Take good care . . . . . keep a quiet smile inside . . . . you are not alone!

Fond Regards,

Julia

So sorry to hear about Dixie Laurie.
Pets become so much like a part of the family and its heartbreaking when they pass away.
Dixie belonged to a wonderful family and most importantly of all you will have great memories forever :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back