Safety Device For Ocean Swimmers/Surfers/Divers

OMG I just watched the videos of 'Shark Shield in action" - that would be scary as hell.

It's a bit like playing high stakes on HV slots, it's pretty scary at first. After a while though, you get used to it.

Well... at least some of us do :D

All jokes aside, you can't take anything for granted when you're in the water, shark shield or not. Got to have ya wits about ya at all times ;)

Yeah, that short range thing would be a little scary:

10 meters: here he comes!

5 meters: still coming!

2 meters: will he or won't he?

1 meter: uh, guys! you did say this works on ALL sharks, yes?

:D

And from the vids, it doesn't seem like the great whites are really all that bothered by it. They're more like, "Meh, I'm not really that hungry....right now." :eek2:

Yeah, that short range thing would be a little scary:

10 meters: here he comes!

5 meters: still coming!

2 meters: will he or won't he?

1 meter: uh, guys! you did say this works on ALL sharks, yes?

:D

Shark shields were designed to typically work at distances of less than one metre, because extensive research has shown that sharks can only detect electrical currents at very short distances. So while it's on the scary side seeing a shark get so close, they work as designed in the majority of cases. Not all.

Earlier models failed on select species, and unfortunately back in 2008 a swimmer wearing a shark shield in South Australia was attacked and killed by a shark. There were various other failings of early models detected during international tests back in the same year.

The good news is that the technology is improving all the time and I for one feel much safer using one today, compared to say 5 or 6 years ago.

Whilst shark shields are much better than no protection, their effectiveness in deterring the attacks of select species such as the Great White is mixed, and far from infallible at this time. This highlights the importance in ongoing research into the anatomy of the species, and how it's inbuilt navigation system uniquely responds or is adversely affected by electrical currents.

With advances in shark anatomy research over time this should lead to tweaking of key components of Shark shields, with the aim of long term effectiveness on all shark species.

It should be noted that shark shields only impact the sharks highly sensitive electrical receptors temporarily, and evidence to date shows that the electronic device is relatively humane.

Last edited:
Think it also depends on how hungry the shark is, if they were really starving i expect nothing could deter them

True!

Best to not find yourself in the water with frenzy feeding sharks. Even sporting a power head with your diving buddies close by in this scenario is risky.

I can attest first hand that the best shark shields on the market are very effective in many cases on several species of sharks. I can also confirm that some species of sharks (particularly the Great White) will bypass the effectiveness of some of the shark shields on the market, especially when in aggressive feeding mode.

I never dive alone, I always incorporate the buddy system, and I exercise as much caution as is reasonably possible. Safety is at the forefront of my mind when I'm visiting their world. Sometimes that is easier said than done, especially when you are also focused on doing your job.

One thing is certain, a cocky and complacent approach is not welcome, nor is it rewarded down there.

I haven't been bitten to date, touch wood.

Last edited:
True!

Best to not find yourself in the water with frenzy feeding sharks. Even sporting a power head with your diving buddies close by in this scenario is risky.

I can attest first hand that the best shark shields on the market are very effective in many cases on several species of sharks. I can also confirm that some species of sharks (particularly the Great White) will bypass the effectiveness of some of the shark shields on the market, especially when in aggressive feeding mode.

I never dive alone, I always incorporate the buddy system, and I exercise as much caution as is reasonably possible. Safety is at the forefront of my mind when I'm visiting their world. Sometimes that is easier said than done, especially when you are also focused on doing your job.

One thing is certain, a cocky and complacent approach is not welcome, nor is it rewarded down there.

I haven't been bitten to date, touch wood.

And I hope and pray you never will Hydr0 ..... have a feeling there are lots of folks who are very fond of you mate!

I wonder how Batman managed to keep from getting a hole in his tights after having a shark chewing on his leg for 5 minutes, when whenever I put nylons on I have runs in both legs before I even get my shoes on. :confused:

I wonder how Batman managed to keep from getting a hole in his tights after having a shark chewing on his leg for 5 minutes, when whenever I put nylons on I have runs in both legs before I even get my shoes on. :confused:

Haha.... Super Lycra for a super hero!

Thought the special shark repellant bat spray was a nice touch, although I think a can of mace or hair spray would have done the trick :D

Thought the special shark repellant bat spray was a nice touch, although I think a can of mace or hair spray would have done the trick :D

Did you notice how bloody long it took Robin to find the right can though? Maybe they should put some pictures or something on the labels.

Anyhow sorry Suze for the derail, I just can't help myself sometimes. :oops:

I was waiting for Batman to swing a big-azz bat man! ;)

Can't comment on nylons .... never wear 'em.

'Holy exploding rubber shark Batman' :laugh:

Manta Ray and Whale repellants! You just never know when 2 of the most harmless creatures of the ocean are going to attack :rolleyes:

I wonder who's piloting the bat copter when Robin helps out Batman on the ladder, auto pilot? :confused:

Funny stuff!

Last edited:
Manta Ray and Whale repellants!

Another derail: I was watching this old sci-fi movie with Ray and there was this alien spaceship that was pretty cool, and I said, "It kinda looks like a manta ray" and Ray says, "No....it doesn't look like a man to me." :rolleyes: Now of course every time I see the words 'manta ray' I have that stupid joke in my head.

Yet another derail: I notice that the older I get the more one thing reminds me of something else! I could go on and on.... :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back