RIP Gary Moore

Da_Gambla

Dormant account
If you are an afficiado of 70's and 80's rock guitar icons, you have lost one of the greatest today. Gary Moore passed away in his sleep, whilst on holiday in Spain, at the way too young age of 58.

As a rock guitarist myself growing up in the 80's, we were all focused on the bigger than life and very real Guitar Heroes of the time; Jimmy Page, Angus Young, David Gilmour, Michael Schenker, Eddie Van Halen, the list went on. Gary seemed to literally appear from nowhere, and I keenly remember the first listens I had to his material. His tone was matched with his feel. He could lift you up to the clouds with floating bent notes that sustained forever, launch you into outer space with his furious ascending runs, and crash you back down to Earth with a flurry of palm-muted lower string phrasings and growls. He was pretty much the perfect blend of a slow-handed Clapton and a heavy metal guitar god. Gary wasn't much of a stomp-box player, and favoured the subtle nuances of his tremolo bar and volume knob to execute those not-so-in-your-face phrases that were so haunting and timeless.

In Gary's lifetime, we got about 6 different guitarists. He could play straight rock, metal, blues, progressive, and hybrid mixes of all those styles. His career was most oft criticized by the apparent ADD approach to whatever style he was currently shrouding himself in. I think that's what I liked about him the most. He didn't care what people labeled him, and as soon as someone was bold enough to try it, Gary would break into another realm.

RIP mate, and thank you for sharing your gift with the world while you were here.

- Keith

Informative Links:

Gary's profile @ Dino Guitarists:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Gary's Official Website:

YouTube videos:

The Loner - All guitar instrumental, studio version with video. This is pretty much the complete Gary Moore package of his subtle side:

Empty Rooms (Live) - While not an instrumental, this capture of a live performance captures just the main guitar solo through the end of the song. The best of the best are judged not only by their studio work, but how they communicate the material live. This shows what Gary could do with everything at 11, and his melodic sense at infinity. The volume swells at the very end were always a big influence on my style:

Victims of the Future (Live) - A young Gary Moore with something to prove. Gary went through so many stages as a musician, and this was when he wanted to show his prowess. Hold onto your face, it's about to get a solid melting:

Shapes of Things (Live) - From same concert as VotF. You thought the above was bad-ass? Couldn't really top that? Ok, well remove everyone over the age of 70 from the room if you intend to watch this. I'm not responsible for any premature heart attacks. This is a balls-out metal guitar clinic. I'm sure every time Gary ever watched this later in life, he had to laugh and ask himself "what the hell was I thinking back then?!":

- Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary was definitely an influence on me back when I was trying to be more melodic than flashy. Here's a guitar instrumental I did called "In Too Deep". It was a MIDI backing track transferred over to a Yamaha 4 track machine, and then my guitar went directly into that. Guitar was a Jackson Reverse Dinky with Floyd Rose tremolo. Processor was a Scholz R&D Rockman X100 into a Roland SDE-2000 digital delay. In order to meet filesize maximums, I had to resample it from 44,100khz down to 11,025khz, which makes it sound like AM radio, but you can get the drift. If it's too crappy sounding, let me know and I'll host the original or pull it down.

Cheers!

- Keith

Guitar was a Jackson Reverse Dinky with Floyd Rose tremolo. Processor was a Scholz R&D Rockman X100 into a Roland SDE-2000 digital delay. In order to meet filesize maximums, I had to resample it from 44,100khz down to 11,025khz, which makes it sound like AM radio
English ONLY on this site please! :p

KK

RIP Gary Moore
Gary is a great guitarist
Rock on & God Bless

Guitarist Gary Moore 'died of heart attack
Initial post-mortem results have indicated that Belfast-born musician Gary Moore died from a heart attack.

The former Thin Lizzy and Skid Row guitarist died early on Sunday, hours after arriving at a hotel in the Costa Del Sol.

Spanish police said although toxicology tests on bodily fluids are still to be completed, at this stage they are not treating death as suspicious.

A judge is expected to authorise the release of the body to the family soon.

The Northern Ireland guitarist was only 16 when he moved from Belfast to Dublin in 1969, to join Skid Row, which featured Phil Lynott as lead vocalist.

He was later brought into Thin Lizzy by frontman Lynott to replace the departing Eric Bell, another guitarist from Northern Ireland.

Moore also gained acclaim for his solo work and performed on stage with a range of major artists and released 20 studio albums.

On Monday, Bob Geldof said Moore was "without question, one of the great Irish bluesmen".

"His playing was exceptional and beautiful. We won't see his like again," he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back