Richard Dawkins & Ricky Gervais on Religion

Also a Dawkins fan here haven't read his books but seen alot of debates with him.
James Randi is also a really cool guy.

Must reads:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
(especially if you have kids)

As for Randi - I'm a subscriber of Skeptics magazine where "The Great Randi" contributes regularly. :D

I have watched God delusion on youtube and right now im watching magic of reality.

When it comes to skepticism I try to watch as much as possible on youtube like skepticon or the amazing meeting on yt.

If I may offer some counterweight to these atheists theories in the form of The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions by David Berlinski.

In brief:

• Has anyone provided a proof of God’s inexistence? Not even close.
  • Has quantum cosmology explained the emergence of the universe or why it is here? Not even close.
  • Have the sciences explained why our universe seems to be fine-tuned to allow for the existence of life? Not even close.
  • Are physicists and biologists willing to believe in anything so long as it is not religious thought? Close enough.
  • Has rationalism in moral thought provided us with an understanding of what is good, what is right, and what is moral? Not close enough.
  • Has secularism in the terrible twentieth century been a force for good? Not even close to being close.
  • Is there a narrow and oppressive orthodoxy of thought and opinion within the sciences? Close enough.
  • Does anything in the sciences or in their philosophy justify the claim that religious belief is irrational? Not even ballpark.
  • Is scientific atheism a frivolous exercise in intellectual contempt? Dead on.

If I may offer some counterweight to these atheists theories in the form of The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions by David Berlinski.

In brief:

• Has anyone provided a proof of God’s inexistence? Not even close.
  • Has quantum cosmology explained the emergence of the universe or why it is here? Not even close.
  • Have the sciences explained why our universe seems to be fine-tuned to allow for the existence of life? Not even close.
  • Are physicists and biologists willing to believe in anything so long as it is not religious thought? Close enough.
  • Has rationalism in moral thought provided us with an understanding of what is good, what is right, and what is moral? Not close enough.
  • Has secularism in the terrible twentieth century been a force for good? Not even close to being close.
  • Is there a narrow and oppressive orthodoxy of thought and opinion within the sciences? Close enough.
  • Does anything in the sciences or in their philosophy justify the claim that religious belief is irrational? Not even ballpark.
  • Is scientific atheism a frivolous exercise in intellectual contempt? Dead on.

Well, then here are three books for your Christmas reading list :D:

The Grand Design: by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow

The Universe Next Door: Twelve Mind-blowing Ideas from the Cutting Edge of Science by Marcus Chown

God is not Great: Richard Hitchens

Good reading and viewing there folks, thanks...

And may I also toss in a recommendation for the
. Sadly, I let all my skeptics mags subscriptions run out a few years ago (way too pricey) but there's great reading at both the Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back