quick question - for anyone with computer skill

but from what i can tell, basic is garbage, and to do anything "power-user" or gaming-wise you'll need something capable of running premium anyway. i don't pc game, but i do want to play SPORE when it comes out.

views? :thumbsup:

If you're into gaming, stick to XP. Vista has no advantages until more games go mainstream with DX10 features.

i heard that home basic has a lot of the functionality of the vista o/s disabled, and then what's the point (in my eyes)?

and i know the o/s has nothing to do with how powerful your machine is, but i'm assuming systems that ship with basic are not going to be capable of running premium and thus lacking in power, or else they'd have premium.

or is it really that much of a price point in just the o/s that you can afford plenty of power but still choose not to have premium?

and i'm not into gaming, and i'm not upgrading for that purpose. my lappy is getting old, and lappies cannot be upgraded that much, so it's time for a new one. plus my mom wants a computer, so it might as well be me getting a new one and her taking this one, since she doesn't need very much out of it but word processing, surfing, photos.

but you're almost forced to get vista on a new computer, unless it was like special ordered. and if i am getting vista, i don't want a watered-down version that lacks functionality and looks substandard.

i hear what you guys are saying though.

:thumbsup:

If you get a laptop, forget Vista and stick w/XP. Vista is a memory hog, and laptops seem to really have a problem with it. Just my 2 cents.

i heard that home basic has a lot of the functionality of the vista o/s disabled, and then what's the point (in my eyes)?

and i know the o/s has nothing to do with how powerful your machine is, but i'm assuming systems that ship with basic are not going to be capable of running premium and thus lacking in power, or else they'd have premium.

or is it really that much of a price point in just the o/s that you can afford plenty of power but still choose not to have premium?

and i'm not into gaming, and i'm not upgrading for that purpose. my lappy is getting old, and lappies cannot be upgraded that much, so it's time for a new one. plus my mom wants a computer, so it might as well be me getting a new one and her taking this one, since she doesn't need very much out of it but word processing, surfing, photos.

but you're almost forced to get vista on a new computer, unless it was like special ordered. and if i am getting vista, i don't want a watered-down version that lacks functionality and looks substandard.

i hear what you guys are saying though.

:thumbsup:

For the home version, forget what they say about running it with 512MB of ram. For it to room somewhat smooth, have at least 1G, or just format the thing when you get it and stick your current copy of XP on it :thumbsup: (but be sure you have the drivers for everything before you do this :D)

For the home version, forget what they say about running it with 512MB of ram. For it to room somewhat smooth, have at least 1G, or just format the thing when you get it and stick your current copy of XP on it :thumbsup: (but be sure you have the drivers for everything before you do this :D)

Good point win, you can't ever go wrong with more RAM...:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back