Pokerstars, Absolutepoker, Ub and Fulltilt Seized By Doj

What does the FBI warning have to do with players in Norway? The site is up and running for everyone outside of the USA. There are 150k+ players at any given time.

The sites were not shut down. DoJ indicted people involved with sites and processors and poker sites in turn stopped allowing US players.

Well...pokerstars.com domain is "closed" from Norway as well. I only see the FBI warning if I try to enter Pokerstars.com from Norway.

But yes, Pokerstars.NET is valid for players. My point of course, is that the TV commercials here are still promoting Pokerstars.COM. I just find that a bit funny. New players from Norway who follows the adress (from the commercial) will only find a warning from FBI.

Shut down? I did not say that Pokerstars was shut down or anything like that. Don`t know where you got that from.

Last edited:
FWIW,
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
:
Simon Goodley
guardian.co.uk, Monday 18 April 2011 20.47 BST

Shares in UK online gaming companies have soared after the websites of some US rivals were shut following a government crackdown on illegal gambling.

Bwin.party shares shot up 30%, with Playtech and 888 Holdings up 8% and 19% respectively, as investors bet on high-value players, affiliates and processors switching to safer sites.

The big wins for the European companies, which do not operate in the US, followed moves by the US government on Friday to charge the founders of three of the world's largest online poker companies. In what amounted to the most drastic crackdown on electronic gambling since Congress banned the industry in America in 2006, the government accused the creators of Full Tilt Poker, PokerStars and Absolute Poker of illegal gambling, money laundering and bank fraud. (
)

I havn't played Poker in years, but after losing so much on slots I decided to join Full Tilt of Wedensday before I heard of this news. I managed a few withdrawals and although I'm not from the US I was definitely worried that it might affect payment processing.

Thankfully the money was paid into my bank this morning so I guess it is safe enough to continue playing...

btw, Can anyone tell me the odds of losing with 4 of a kind to a straight flush? this happened to me on my first day but I thought such things were very unlikely to ever happen...

Attachments

• poker17777.jpg
    poker17777.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 138
I saw this on webinar on facebook and signed up to attend. Anyone else planning to?

Panelists:
Michael Caselli, Editor in Chief, iGaming Business
Peter Bertilsson, Managing Director, Ongame
Joseph M. Kelly, Ph.D., J.D, Associate, Catania Gaming Consultants
Chris Krafcik, Editor At Large, GamblingCompliance
Joe Brennan Jr., Chairman, iMEGA
And More TBC

I saw this on webinar on facebook and signed up to attend. Anyone else planning to?

Panelists:
And More TBC

I'll be there :D

Panelists:
And More TBC

That link doesn't work for me.... Sounds interesting though!

I havn't played Poker in years, but after losing so much on slots I decided to join Full Tilt of Wedensday before I heard of this news. I managed a few withdrawals and although I'm not from the US I was definitely worried that it might affect payment processing.

Thankfully the money was paid into my bank this morning so I guess it is safe enough to continue playing...

btw, Can anyone tell me the odds of losing with 4 of a kind to a straight flush? this happened to me on my first day but I thought such things were very unlikely to ever happen...

I don't play poker but you can't have been far off a Bad Beat jackpot there I would have thought!

Me thinks I found a piece of the puzzle that provides a bigger picture:

...The DoJ will insist on a guilty plea to something, which might kill the operators’ chances of getting licensed when American laws change. And no amount of money will buy them the right to open up again without a change in the law. ...

That theory goes back to them killing off the major competitors prior to law being passed allowing online poker. Personally I don't see it. I think they will have been investigating this for a long time and can see a nice big fat fine at the end of the tunnel, the fact that they will shut them down in the states is a bonus point.

How UB are still in business though after the superuser scandal i'll never know, some people are far too trusting of a faceless company!

Who knows? I'm inclined to believe that Bryan is on the right track - there are much bigger dollars to ultimately reel in (billions, in fact) than just a few hundred millions in DoJ fines or 'settlements' that might never be paid.

I can't see Pokerstars and Full Tilt going down without a major fight on this one...it's going to be very informative and interesting to see how they respond to this in a legal sense - you can bet they have squads of the best lawyers that money can buy poring over the indictment right now.

BTW the Antiguans issued a statement today condemning this move and hinting that they intend to go back to the WTO having achieved little that is useful in their negotiations with the US Trade officials.

If anyone is having trouble accessing PokerStars from non-us, just go to PokerStars.eu instead. Also US players can still use the .net sites to play for fake money.

If you missed the webinar it is now archived and can be viewed online. Audio isn't 100% unfortunately but it works well enough that it isn't very annoying as we had almost a 1,000 people online which is huge for the software.

Just click "view webinar"

If you missed the webinar it is now archived and can be viewed online. Audio isn't 100% unfortunately but it works well enough that it isn't very annoying as we had almost a 1,000 people online which is huge for the software.

Just click "view webinar"
Thanks Alex. It was an interesting discussion.

I would recommend to anyone interested in this subject to take an hour out and listen to the archived version.

The echoes didn't really bother me BTW. I understand it's the tubes getting overloaded :p

Have you got a link to this? :)

It was an actual press statement from the Antiguans - this will give you the sense of it:

THE INDICTMENTS; AN OLD FOE REACTS (Update)

"US authorities continue to prosecute non-domestic suppliers of remote gaming services in clear contravention of International law," says Antiguan minister.

The Antiguan Minister for Finance and the Economy, the Honourable Harold Lovell, has expressed his disappointment in what he claims is "...the latest effort by the American authorities to shut off competition in remote gaming in violation of International law."

In a statement Tuesday, the minister said: “I am concerned that at this point in time United States authorities continue to prosecute non-domestic suppliers of remote gaming services in clear contravention of International law.

"I am not aware of any other situation where a member of the World Trade Organisation has subjected persons to criminal prosecution under circumstances where the WTO has expressly ruled that to do so is in breach of an International treaty.”

Antigua’s legal counsel in its dispute with the US at the WTO, Mark Mendel, commented: “The WTO ruled that these kinds of laws criminalizing the provision of remote gaming services are contrary to the obligations of the United States under the WTO agreements.

"The United States, being a very heavy user of the WTO rules to its own benefit, simply cannot continue to prosecute persons for engaging in legitimate International commerce.”

Mendel further noted: “What the United States has attempted to cloak as a moral issue is now clearly nothing but economic protectionism at its worst.

"Rather than engaging with Antigua and the world gaming community to reach a reasonable accommodation on this relatively new but now globalised form of economic commerce, the United States has instead determined to protect its domestic gaming interests regardless of International legal obligations.

"This is very hard to reconcile not only with its pronouncements regarding the imperative of other countries to strictly observe their WTO trade obligations but also with stated official United States government policy of adherence to the rule of law.”

In a protracted dispute process, Antigua won its dispute over online gambling in the WTO some years ago (see previous InfoPowa reports). Since then the islanders have spent considerable time and effort trying to reach a compromise with American authorities that would recognise the legitimacy conferred by the WTO judgement with respect to Antiguan remote gaming services.

The government's statement concludes: "Last weeks’ indictments and other recent developments would seem to indicate that the United States is still unwilling or unable to tackle the issue of offshore remote gaming services in a mature and legally compliant fashion.

“At this time we are examining all of the options we have against the United States as a result of the WTO decision. We are confident that the WTO rulings have significant strength and we are now looking into ways to capitalise on that in order to achieve our objectives.”

In a parting shot, Mendel comments: “Given the time that has been spent by the Antiguan government on sincere attempts to negotiate a reasonable settlement with the United States, and the very meagre results that have come of those discussions, it might be time for Antigua to go back to the WTO and compel American compliance with the rulings that this very small country fought so hard for and deserves to see implemented.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back