Poker questions please

babs7262

Banned User
Hi
Most of you know I love my slots but I actually started out gambling in the Poker room at the Trop. I have much love fro 7 card stud and I have been playing it way before all of the media crap started.

I have a few concerns about poker rooms and wanted to know some input or shed some light on the subject. It took me this long (lol) to even ask about it because I truly love the game and like to play fair

How does one know that you are playing honest games online? I mean, how do I know there arent 4 guys that are friends with their own PC's and playing in the same virtual room and IMing each other with what cards they are holding?

Is there a way that the poker site can tell if such activity is going on? I am use to holding real cards and seeing faces for "tell" and online, you have none of that. Its a different animal if you ask me then the good ole days of poker tables in a room with the chips all lined up.

Am I way off base? Should I be reluctant to play? I miss playing poker but I am leary about this online poker stuff. Maybe someone could help me understand or atleast tell me if Im right and I shouldnt waste my time or money. THere are so many poker rooms out there. I guess I could by the accredited list

GaryWatson

Dormant account
You can guage it with betting patterns. If you think there is something odd, move away from that table. Other than that its really up to poker sites to detect players.

bb28

Dormant Account
Hi
Most of you know I love my slots but I actually started out gambling in the Poker room at the Trop. I have much love fro 7 card stud and I have been playing it way before all of the media crap started.

I have a few concerns about poker rooms and wanted to know some input or shed some light on the subject. It took me this long (lol) to even ask about it because I truly love the game and like to play fair

How does one know that you are playing honest games online? I mean, how do I know there arent 4 guys that are friends with their own PC's and playing in the same virtual room and IMing each other with what cards they are holding?

There really isn't any way to know for sure. As Gary said if you suspect something suspicious, pack it up and move.

Is there a way that the poker site can tell if such activity is going on? I am use to holding real cards and seeing faces for "tell" and online, you have none of that. Its a different animal if you ask me then the good ole days of poker tables in a room with the chips all lined up.

Well the poker sites are supposed to have measures in place to protect us but who knows if they actually monitor or look for suspicious activity.

Am I way off base? Should I be reluctant to play? I miss playing poker but I am leary about this online poker stuff. Maybe someone could help me understand or atleast tell me if Im right and I shouldnt waste my time or money. THere are so many poker rooms out there. I guess I could by the accredited list

I play some but yet I know that it's a risk and do I trust them.....not really, but I've accepted the risk, but yet I don't play large stakes either. I'd be very weary of that.

Just my 2 cents.......:)

hippo925

Dormant account
babs, i used to play poker a lot... texas hold'em of course. i have always had a good insight into the game and i've made quite a bit of money (in the past) playing poker online at partypoker. i stopped playing poker online when one of three things happened: either everyone got better and the fish vanished, the software "equalized" play between players, or i suddenly sucked at poker overnight.:what: as for collusion, it's quite obvious when it's happening and partypoker did nothing to control it regardless of complaints. i moved tables, lowered stakes (collusion happens a lot less on lower limit tables), then finally quit online poker. i always suspected there could be something strange or vulnerable about online poker... and now we all know it's true. you just have to choose a site carefully.

zebedy

No!!!! Im Spartacus
Hi

i usually stick to the larger well known poker sites like pokerstars, if ive had concerns about someones play or suspected collusion i just email support with the details, they check it out and email you the result, if i feel im being cheated i just sitout and watch the play , as gary said you can tell alot from the betting patterns

winbig

Keep winning this amount.
I have to agree about Stars...Upon receiving any emails regarding collusion or chip dumping, they start investigating it immediately. Maybe if AP had done the same, they wouldn't be in the mess they are in today.

I remember a tournament recently where there was a guy sitting with a $1 stack. Of course it's possible to legitimately have $1 left, but odds are against it....of course I and a lot of others figured they called all but the remaining $1 and folded....but after emailing support, they looked into it immediately and come to find out he actually had another player covered by $1 and had lost the pot fh vs. a larger fh...lol

HUNTS!!!!!

Dormant account
babs, i used to play poker a lot... texas hold'em of course. i have always had a good insight into the game and i've made quite a bit of money (in the past) playing poker online at partypoker. i stopped playing poker online when one of three things happened: either everyone got better and the fish vanished, the software "equalized" play between players, or i suddenly sucked at poker overnight.:what: as for collusion, it's quite obvious when it's happening and partypoker did nothing to control it regardless of complaints. i moved tables, lowered stakes (collusion happens a lot less on lower limit tables), then finally quit online poker. i always suspected there could be something strange or vulnerable about online poker... and now we all know it's true. you just have to choose a site carefully.

damn hippo u just summed it all up right there!!!
i used to make A LOT of money at poker but as u have said i either became crap over night or people got a lot better!!
some of the outdraws you get are outrageous

pokeraddict

Webmaster
Gotta love these conspiracy theories. I guess the response is I'm so bad they must all be rigged so I can get better cards.

Anyway you can't go wrong at Stars or FTP. These rooms routinely refund players money from cheaters even if you don't know about it. These sites have security measures in place such as linked accounts through transfers, playing at the same table too often or suspicious play. These two rooms will also look into any security issue you bring up, Stars especially. One thing they do to catch cheats is figure out when a disproportionate amount of hands are played with the same players. With poker rooms this big there is no reason why the same 4 players would always be at the same $100 NL tables.

RobWin

closed account
I used to play a lot of texas hold'em online and after I really started thinking about all of the collusion that could be possible going on I quit playing it online...and the problem with the specific poker room actually looking into it (collusion), they are only able to check on their own chat logs and such...no way that they can actually check on another private chat room or something like yahoo instant messenger where four or more other players at your same table could be talking and discussing what each is holding and how they will end up playing out their hands...:rolleyes:

babs7262

Banned User
Exactly Rob or even have their Skype on and talk with the other guys like thier in the same room! Skype has multi conversation and I know it can be done and they talk for free

Now its all coming back to me loll. Remember I wrote a post back in August asking what this craigs list ad meant? The guy was looking for an onlilne poker player? Thats what the ad was for now that I think about it

Ill stick to live at the Trop :)