Phil Ivey taking legal action against Full Tilt

That is one serious allegation regarding EGR's report, and I intend to follow up on this with them.

But they were not the only ones carrying the "DoJ has unfrozen an FTP account to enable it to pay players" story - it is widespread across even mainstream print media.

Could it be that FTP was deliberately misleading or misinforming media? That would be an extremely risky strategy imo.

EGRs article was used as source at most places. They could have confirmed it with DOJ before releasing their article. Main point however is that it was false and never should have been released without any kind of confirmation.

Doubt that FTP would have deliberately mislead media, some employee at FTP could have tough.

EGR very often publishes the slightest sniff of a story so I wouldn't bank on alot of their stories being accurate, however that said I don't think I've ever seen a retraction from them, which means anything they do publish which is false is very often shrugged off and kept internal amongst clients and service providers.

In other words, I'd be open to the challenge of the EGR story, it could make sense, although I suspect Ivey should be in the know and if he knew that the accounts weren't unfrozen, would he file the suit?

I'm not connected in any business sense with EGR but I think your assessment above is rather harsh and undeserved. I believe in general they do a good job of business reportage and have some useful insider contacts in the industry which often give valuable insights into issues.

That's my personal view, but I respect that you are entitled to your own.

Things are turning nasty - statement from Full Tilt Wednesday:

“Contrary to his sanctimonious public statements, Phil Ivey’s meritless lawsuit is about helping just one player – himself. In an effort to further enrich himself at the expense of others, Mr. Ivey appears to have timed his lawsuit to thwart pending deals with several parties that would put money back in players’ pockets. In fact, Mr. Ivey has been invited -- and has declined -- to take actions that could assist the company in these efforts, including paying back a large sum of money he owes the site. Tiltware doubts Mr. Ivey’s frivolous and self-serving lawsuit will ever get to court. But if it does, the company looks forward to presenting facts demonstrating that Mr. Ivey is putting his own narrow financial interests ahead of the players he professes to help.”

Now that's embarrassing. Maybe he should sue FT for that statement. :p

Litigation always carries the risk that the other party will feel they have a stronger case....and then the originator of the action finds that he/she has a tiger by the tail, and all sorts of damaging disclosures and claims can be aired.

FTP has a record of playing hardball when sued - remember Deliverance Poker; Clony Gowen; Jason Newitt; Lary Kennedy and Greg Omotoy?

There are probably others that chose to joust with this company.

I'm not connected in any business sense with EGR but I think your assessment above is rather harsh and undeserved. I believe in general they do a good job of business reportage and have some useful insider contacts in the industry which often give valuable insights into issues.

That's my personal view, but I respect that you are entitled to your own.

90% of their stuff is probably accurate, but like any press the report on things they believe may be true without getting the real facts. The stuff they get right is good, I'm just always wary of their 'exclusive' reports.

It looks to me that the DOJ has effectively done what it wanted to do- take down the largest online poker sites and instead of everyone coming together to defend, they are all going to climb heads to stay afloat. I guess that's human nature but working together to solve the problem of US players not being paid makes more sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back