Once In A Lifetime Picture

LaurieJim

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
This awesome picture was taken in the Bitterroot National Forest in
Montana on August 6 by a fire behavior analyst from Fairbanks,
Alaska, by the name of John McColgan, with a Digital camera.

Since he was working while he took the picture, he cannot sell or
profit from it, so he should at least be recognized as the
photographer of this once-in-a-lifetime shot.

Notice the ungulates, in the water, only alerting to the photographer.

Profound...

I buttfloated on down, next day we had elk stew with mushrooms:eek2:

Bloody hell!! The freakin' world's on fire!!

Thanks for posting that pic, Laurie. It's wonderful and horrible all at the same time...

Thanks!!! I love beautiful pics

I have some to share as well. The 2 snowy ones I took while driving through Valley Forge Park and the 3rd one will be on the next post (not enough room)

This one is Sedona AZ

my brother and his wife spend alot of weekend there and he took this pic and sent it to me. It looks like a breathtaking relaxing quiet place, doesn't it?

BTW...What a great thread, thanks for starting it. Photography can be quite beautiful

photosig.com a great place to get critiques for your photography.

34880-a9c9334bba1e8c5d.jpg

The snow has most of the fires out now. It got thick this summer.

Link Removed ( Old/Invalid)

The heros that fight these fires are unsung. Almost every year we lose some. Funny, tonight I'm wearing a t-shirt called rainmakers, from when I worked in Idaho in '94 on the Payette (support). i remember as far back as 5 or 6 years old, someone I knew was fighting a fire, or dying in a mine, or injured in a war.

That is a beautiful fire pic. i was just making light because, living in the woods, it's all real.

:D

Lojo,

I've never been up in the NW part of the country, but I have always seen that it is beautiful. You"re a lucky guy to be up there! Did you take that from your home? Did the fires get close enough to make you nervous?

Back in Colorado, we had fires in the mountains just east of Boulder, and could watch them and always pray they didn't get down to the foothills, where so many folks live. I luckily was always a "flatlands" gal. IMO, fire is one of the most beautiful of nature's tricks against her creatures, though it did serve a valuable purpose renewing the earth before we took up so much of her space. Thanks, for sharing the picture.

Jod

Lojo,

I've never been up in the NW part of the country, but I have always seen that it is beautiful. You"re a lucky guy to be up there! Did you take that from your home? Did the fires get close enough to make you nervous?

Back in Colorado, we had fires in the mountains just east of Boulder, and could watch them and always pray they didn't get down to the foothills, where so many folks live. I luckily was always a "flatlands" gal. IMO, fire is one of the most beautiful of nature's tricks against her creatures, though it did serve a valuable purpose renewing the earth before we took up so much of her space. Thanks, for sharing the picture.

Jod

Yes, i am lucky, but it deteriorates every year (too many people). That pic was from my home a couple of years ago, deeper in the woods now. Fire itself wasn't a hazard at home this year, mostly in the wildwoods, but the smoke was bele beli batt.

ahhh, the prairies fires, short grass, sweet grass, in the days the buffalo roamed. We're all fexed now, i fear. Think of how absurd it is that the antarctic is melting due to 'global warming' and the major powers are rasslin over who gets the oil out of it. Fexed I tell ya :)

Lojo.

Yep, you are very correct. I left CO for the reason that after living my entire adult life on the prairie NE of Denver, isolated, when I left 7-8 years ago all the land was bought up around me! I was in suburbia! Dead bods in farm fields around my little farm, it was absolutely horrible. Oh, well time marches on, no?

Jod

Breathtaking picture Lauriejim. Anyone besides me see sadness in it? The way the poor deer are just standing there in the stream, lost?

Awesome to look at though.

This is where my illness gets me..I dont notice stuff. Im embarrassed to say (until Pina said something) that it was a pic from a fire.I thought it was so bright sundown (im such an idiot). Your right Pina, those poor deer.

I remember when my cousin lived in a small forest near Colorado Springs, we went to the Flying W dude ranch for a week and she literally lived in the woods (cabin and dirt floors, no running water) she is the hippie chick of the family and your right, CO is so built up now, it's a shame. my brother has a vacatioin home in Crusted Butte(sp), It's one of the only placed that still have alot of openess left. What a treck to get there! I havnt been there because you have to fly to denver, then take a puddle jumper to gunderson airport and then drive another 45 minutes up hill. It's a hard place to get to but what a view (from what Ive seen) They call it a ski in ski out house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back