Once again America cries

cpdnd31

Ueber Meister
webmeister
CAG
If you live in America then you have all seen the tragedy unfold. You have seen the people in shock as they tell the horror story of what happened in Colorado. 12 dead 59 wounded. I will never understand the pain these people are feeling but I watch and pray to my God that they may find peace once more. When the Twin Towers fell I remember watching that and thought who would even think of doing something so destructive. Now I watch the news tonight and those same thoughts come back to haunt me. As I'm listening to how these people were trapped and hunted down I think what kind of person could feel no emotion to do this to so many. The only thing I could do as I watched was explain to my children what was happening. I answered there questions, I tried to make it a learning experience. My son said mom I don't think I ever want to go to the movies again. I understood how he felt. Then the mom in me had to kick into overdrive because honestly after seeing this I don't want him to go. However I said my most rational thought. I said you can't let others put fear in you. Don't let someone make you stop what you enjoy doing because they win. I tried to make myself believe in the words I was saying to him . I really did but God never in my life did I want to hug my child and not let go of him. I just honestly wanted to say please say your prayers tonight, hug your loved one, and be grateful. That's all we can really do when these things happen.

I use to think I wish our government would hurry up and make online gambling happen, now I'm thinking I wish our government would do something about these dam people who are able to get guns and kill.

I am so saddened and sickened by what happened.

I know how you feel about your kids because when I heard about it, I thought the same thing. But you cannot live your life afraid of the 'what ifs'.

What can be done to stop this violence? I don't believe in gun control, never have and never will. But I know that here in Texas reputable gun dealers have to call, can remember the name of the department, give them your ID and they tell the seller yes or no right on the spot. I've had to do it too many times and this goes for long guns or pistols. Heck, even bullet purchases are documented.

Pawn shops in Texas sell guns but they can only buy and sell so many to one person per month. There are other laws in Texas that deal with purchasing firearms that are meant to throw up a red flag.

I guess I said that to say this, why did no one question this guy's purchases? Does Colorado not have gun laws like we do in Texas? How are these crackpots slipping thru the cracks?

Makes me want to just circle the wagons and not let anyone in. :mad:

My heart goes out to those affected.

I must say though,how long must this continue? Schools being "shot up" like Columbine,Chardon etc.

There has to be a time when the people that make these crazy gun laws say enough is enough,they seem to think these crazy people walk into a gun shop doing a crazy dance or something and that they can or will identify them this way.

What they don't seem to realise is even crazy people are clever,maybe with America's election coming up this will change a few peoples minds about guns-or America will unfortunately have more and more "shoot up memorials" that needn't have ever happened.

Any loss of life is awful but its only a matter of time before another Dunblane happens if these gun laws are continued to be allowed.

I have said this for a long time now and it saddens me to think that the even the 'policemen of the world' cannot solve such a simple problem like this one.

Guns=Military and police use.Nothing else.

I am from there Aurora Colorado

I am proud to say I am from Colorful Colorado as it is known, I was raised in the country with the values of country life and helping your neighbors, leaving your doors unlocked etc.

With the country lifestyle, and the great outdoors, you also get the avid hunters, which I am not one. Being able to buy a gun in Colorado would not raise the alarms that it would in any other state, but I don't know for sure I don't own one. I just know the lifestyle and the culture.

None of us know the full story yet, the initial reports are coming out, that he was depressed with his educational accomplishments, having many degrees and only able to find a job at McDonald's. Of course this would never be an adequate excuse for what he did, just a reflection of our economics times.

Colorado does have some strict laws, one of them is the banning of pitbulls. This was a tragic event and Colorado will pull together, I live in California now and I can say one thing I miss most is in Colorado you know your neighbors, they look out for you and you for them. My prayers go out to the families affected by this terrible tragedy.

This is indeed another terrible tragedy - my sympathies to all effected. :(

I just wanted to quickly say something about Gun Laws.
In the UK we have possibly the strictest gun laws in the world - yet guns are still used by criminal and murders (albeit in MUCH smaller numbers than in the USA, thankfully).
The point is, making something illegal does not stop people getting hold of it if they are really determined - I mean, look at drugs!

But more important is that, as Freddie sang, "a gun never killed nobody, you can ask anyone; people get shot by people..."
The guns themselves are not the big problem - it's the people who go crazy and use them against other people.
I can't see how this can ever be stopped; so no matter what any governments do, I can't see there ever being an end to tragic events like this. :(

KK

Watching the world-wide reportage on these tragic murders inevitably makes one think of the terrible loss to family and friends - we can all relate to how they must feel simply by thinking about how we would react if it was our own near and dear ones involved. I think one of the victims was a young child, and that must have been devastating in a generational sense for an entire family.

Then there are the injured, who must face pain, discomfort and expense...perhaps even lasting disability.

This guy also booby-trapped his apartment, apparently - bloody hell, what sort of loony does that as well as taking the lives of a slew of innocent people he doesn't even know? The man has to be a mental case.

But I think our culture may be playing a role in these awful events where humans go off the rails totally. Technology now enables us to encounter gratuitous violence in the most gory detail everywhere we look - there is very little held back on television, in computer games, at the movies, in comics and books, on the news. And we are being exposed to this unhealthy mental diet from an early age.

I think that this constant exposure possibly nurtures a culture where killing or maiming is almost regarded as an everyday occurrence and acceptable, and it is brutalising society as a whole and making us forget what a huge thing it really is to take a fellow human's life. It's pain and fear and the end of his or her dreams, capabilities and ambitions, and impacts perhaps scores if not hundreds of others in a very negative way. And yet we treat it almost casually...and too frequently as a primitive yet easy solution to a problem.

IMO we need a culture change that starts with a more realistic and responsible approach to the use of violence, but that's a massive and almost evolutionary move that I can't see happening quickly. Look how long it has taken international society to evolve a system of political interaction which just reduces the possibility of world wars!

In the UK we have possibly the strictest gun laws in the world - yet guns are still used by criminal and murders (albeit in MUCH smaller numbers than in the USA, thankfully).
The point is, making something illegal does not stop people getting hold of it if they are really determined - I mean, look at drugs!

But more important is that, as Freddie sang, "a gun never killed nobody, you can ask anyone; people get shot by people..."
The guns themselves are not the big problem - it's the people who go crazy and use them against other people.
I can't see how this can ever be stopped; so no matter what any governments do, I can't see there ever being an end to tragic events like this. :(

KK

My thoughts could not be expressed more precisely

If trying to take in or trying to understand all of these tragic events all over the world, we wouldn't be able to breath. It's too much to handle.
This also reminded me that tomorrow it is one year since that psycho Beringer killed so many young people in Norway:(

What Is This World Coming Too?
This is so sad to hear.
My heart goes out to those people & families that are affected by this nut case.
My Thoughts & Prayers to all.
All I can say is I hope the @h rots in hell

sympathy_candle.gif

He even looks like a Wacko
509c9f39bca34c25baf2e20f3da654c2.jpg

A psycho is a psycho.

When we see these kinds of psychotic attacks on innocent victims people look for reasons. You won't find one. It's easy to blame the obvious things like increasing amounts of violence on television and in movies. The relaxed gun laws in some countries is another common idea. The upbringing of the killer is questioned along with his social background. I don't think any of these things contribute to the level of psychosis that triggers a mass murder of innocent adults and children.

Children in the inner cities are recruited into gangs before they become teenagers. They learn to accept violent behaviour and are rewarded by peers for participating in it. The unscrupulous role models have weapons that inevitably fall into the hands of the children and due to the nature of the lifestyle these gang members lead, eventually someone gets shot. Eventually someone gets killed. In Colorado, this didn't happen.

Millions of people watch television and movies. Millions of people grew up watching violent cartoons. A very small percentage of the people who see violence on television would even consider emulating any violent act they've watched or read about. Most people can separate fantasy from reality.

Some people, sadly are raised in violent situations at home. They watch a parent abused or suffer abuse themselves. Quite often these children raised in abusive homes grow up and are themselves abusive. They might be prone to violence, abusing their own spouses or children or assaulting strangers at work, at bars, possibly during sports activities. If they have access to weapons it's possible that they might stab or shoot someone during an altercation but I think it's safe to say that very few of these people will grow up to become mass murders.

These things do all contribute to the daily murders we see in all countries and all walks of life but I don't believe they build the kind of psychosis it takes to become Jeffrey Dahmer or Charles Manson. I don't think they're the cause of incidents like this one in Colorado or Columbine. The level of psychosis it takes to perpetrate a mass killing of innocents or a string of serial type killings is deep rooted in the brain. It's a dysfunction that has no outward cause. It may have been triggered by something but the insanity was already there. Something is broken inside the brains of these people that makes them believe that murder is acceptable. That it needs to be done. That it is justified. These people didn't learn it. Changing the laws wouldn't have fixed it. Changing social behaviours wouldn't have fixed it. Insanity follows no logic. It has no remorse.

You won't find a reason for the loss of life in Colorado other than the fact that the person who caused it is insane.

I was heartsick when I read about this last night. It's hard to comprehend what's going through the mind of a person who does something like that - IMO there's really only one reason a person would kill a bunch of total strangers, and that's to become famous - "Now everyone will know who I am."

KK

True,but in all honesty they aren't as readily available as what people make out here in the UK.How many guns have you honestly seen in your entire life?

I have seen one in 27 years of living on this planet-and I'm not even sure that was real.

Are you saying not selling them in shops like candy wouldn't help the issue? Its coincidence USA is the gun crime capital of the world? Surely not.

Compare the amount of times we hear of schools/universities being shot up here in the uk to the amount of times we hear of those shot up in USA,they're all too of a regular occurrence imo,so much so that theres been 11 since the start of 2011-yet in the whole of Europe-2 since 2009.

These are all wonderful points. I know it's the person behind the gun that kills. I blame a lot of wrong things in our society not just the guns. If one person would have taken the time to notice maybe this tragedy could have been prevented. It's just sad. If you look back at the things we had to face as children and now look at the things our children have to face it's just too dam scary. Hell even the drugs have changed. Bath salts really? Was this man looking to be famous? If so our media played right into his hands. Let's give him what he wants and now the next mental person can start planning his way of outdoing and getting on TV. When his own mother says to the police oh no you have the right kid- my god lady did it not occur to you to warn someone or try to get help for your child? Where are the politicians who just cut and closed almost all the mental health facilities in IL. Should we mail them the video tape of all these families effected to them? There is so much wrong it's just sad!! As a mother I do the best dam thing I can to explain to my kids and hope that the day I leave them alone in the world that my voice is in there head saying this is wrong mom would be disappointed or this is right mom would be proud. This event is so tragic but what makes it worse is the fact that people are getting use to these tragedy's. I don't know the answers to fix this problem. The only thing I do know is no matter where we are from what are beliefs are we all have one thing in common- we are human. When will we start acting like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back