North Korea and US politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a lie tho?

I mean, technically i guess it is, since the amount of people with covid would not decrease if they tested fewer people.

Of course, it would not decrease, you just wouldn't immediately know what the patients storming the hospital ERs have.

It is actually to the contrary. The more you test and trace, the better you can coordinate countermeasures, e.g. locking down a meat plant, seal off apartment blocks etc.

Without testing, people can run around for 2-3 weeks infecting others. And as per the latest studies, people who were infected lose their antibodies after a few months, so not even the argument of herd immunity is valid.

There is a superb article by Douglas Murray in the Mail on Sunday (of all places), regarding the 'Cancel Culture' which is slowly, but surely gathering momentum in suppressing free speech, and turning the world into a Fascist state.

A quote from the article is as follows:

"Do you believe in thought crime? In picking people off, one by one, till everybody agrees with just a single point of view? Each week, we see this world come a little closer...

It is perfectly normal to have a point of view and argue it. It is perfectly fine to dislike and even disdain some ideas. Who doesn’t?

But no one has the right to get people fired or made unemployable because of views that differ from their own, let alone because of their partner’s views.

That is neither democratic nor acceptable. It is fascism. Red fascism, but fascism all the same.

It is important we face up to this. Extremism can occur on all political sides. Every political and religious movement can become a focus for bitter people and radical malcontents. But in our age, the bullying totalitarians come from an ever-more assertive political Left.

[...]online mobs (are) trying to intimidate and ‘de-platform’ people simply because of their views."

The actual article can be found here:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Please don't be put off by the headline. It is the content that is pertinent to what is happening today.

So how does this relate to the NK thread - which is mostly about Trump?

No wonder so many people are becoming part of the 'Silent Majority', because if you are a Trump supporter, or don't agree that Trump, and his supporters, are vile humans who need 'attitude adjustments', then expect to be 'cancelled', and have your job, your career, everything you have ever worked for placed in jeopardy, or taken from you.

And there is nothing fair, or right, or just, about that.

definitely a bit slanted (article); makes a 'short' reference cancel culture can appeear on all sides but mostly goes on to continue to condemn the left; let's face it extremism exitss no matter what side youre on

I think everyone is entitled to their thoghts, whether we think them right or wrong; just agree we've the right - doesnt mean we agree with the sentiment

that being said, actions have consquences and living in a shared society means rules.

This one stuck out:

But no one has the right to get people fired or made unemployable because of views that differ from their own, let alone because of their partner’s views.

It was in fact the actions and words used by some people aimed at African Americans that caused them to lose their job. To be precise, employers that propagate diversity & inclusion don't want to be associated with people treating other (black) citizens the way they did. For instance, Central Park Karen calling the cops on a black birdwatcher with a hysterical voice. That's a far cry from expressing one's own views.

There is a superb article by Douglas Murray in the Mail on Sunday (of all places), regarding the 'Cancel Culture' which is slowly, but surely gathering momentum in suppressing free speech, and turning the world into a Fascist state.

"Do you believe in thought crime? In picking people off, one by one, till everybody agrees with just a single point of view? Each week, we see this world come a little closer...

It is perfectly normal to have a point of view and argue it. It is perfectly fine to dislike and even disdain some ideas. Who doesn’t?

That is neither democratic nor acceptable. It is fascism. Red fascism, but fascism all the same.

It is important we face up to this. Extremism can occur on all political sides. Every political and religious movement can become a focus for bitter people and radical malcontents. But in our age, the bullying totalitarians come from an ever-more assertive political Left.

[...]online mobs (are) trying to intimidate and ‘de-platform’ people simply because of their views."

Please don't be put off by the headline. It is the content that is pertinent to what is happening today.

No wonder so many people are becoming part of the 'Silent Majority', because if you are a Trump supporter, or don't agree that Trump, and his supporters, are vile humans who need 'attitude adjustments', then expect to be 'cancelled', and have your job, your career, everything you have ever worked for placed in jeopardy, or taken from you.

Rather gobsmacked at such a poorly researched and written article with no links to the actual cases that tries to convey that one side is bad without looking at the other side, no matter what the two sides are.

Reading the article and a good chunk of the comments shows the naivety of people thinking that our globally interconnected world will bring only good changes. Can anyone tell me at what time ever in our history (well, let's take only the years from the Roman Empire to today) there was truly "free speech" and "100% fairness for all"? A single day of that would suffice if someone could point to one.

As for Mr T, he is the epitome of suppressing free speech and free thinking. Anyone not agreeing with him, even on the smallest or most trivial thing, is against him and thus bad or call it "on the wrong side". The process of the people supporting him blindly getting now some blowback is historically called "balancing the act". Mr T's extremist leaning was bound to invigorate the "other side" whatever that may be.

Lastly, putting exactly such a "Cancel" headline next to the article shows the hypocrisy of the people publishing it and that the article itself was meant as a hit piece to gather clicks. Basically, it preaches that something is so bad and then they do it themselves. So, what gives? :rolleyes:

1594534644254.png

Last edited:

Not sure if that's a joke or not, but one need look in from around page 2 onwards to see predictable heckling of 'unpopular views' by anyone whose opinions differ to leftist 'group-think' narrative. I mean, just look at Mack :laugh:

Nor is the concept of dual-sided online 'debate' a new phenomenon. Ruined by none other than TOO MUCH Free Speech via multitudinous 'platforms' where everyone and their dog just feel compelled to have a say! Whereas prior to Social Media and its kind you'd have less ways to partake in such discussions, so those that did were fewer in number, had something to contribute on the matter, and weren't overwhelmed by petulant outbursts of 'feelings' :laugh:

So that's all it's become now in terms of mass-debate (teehee- had to get that one in - ooh err) where it's simply being on the 'right side of history' (I detest that phrase - and the people who convince themselves they're part of it :D )

And with this Good vs Evil scenario, one had better make sure they're seen to be on the popular/ safe side, lest one becomes pariah-d into oblivion!

So yes, nothing new I'm afraid. Debate is dead! That's why I'll only tune into this thread for when I want to see lopsided views and all-round belly laughs :laugh::thumbsup:

Wow ladyhawke I wasn't quite expecting you to take that stance; two quotes from Orwell I saw in the Times today on the same subject:

‘If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.’

‘What is needed is the right to print what one believes to be true, without having to fear bullying or blackmail from any side.’

Maybe Twitter has been the mechanism for the cancel culture, I don't remember it 10 years ago, sure there were political campaigns and people had their dislikes of opinions and people, but it couldn't reach a fever pitch like it can on twitter; businesses and employers get frightened of being denounced through association.

I read a fair number of the comments on twitter and sometimes under website articles, and the sniping and personal attacks etc is not good, there has to be a better way to express disagreement.

Last edited:
Wow ladyhawke I wasn't expecting you to take that stance; two quotes from Orwell I saw in the Times today on the same subject:

‘If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.’

‘What is needed is the right to print what one believes to be true, without having to fear bullying or blackmail from any side.’

Maybe Twitter has been the mechanism for the cancel culture, I don't remember it 10 years ago, sure there were political campaigns and people had there dislikes of opinions and people, but it couldn't reach a fever pitch like it can on twitter; businesses and employers get frightened of being denounced through association.

I read a fair number of the comments on twitter and sometimes under website articles, and the sniping and personal attacks etc is not good, there has to be a better way to express disagreement.

100% agree, aslong as people can't debate in a decent way without calling eachother names there is no healthy debate possible. Why'd someone who's leaning left debate someone who's leaning right when they're being called a Marxist or vice versa a fascist?

Personal attacks usually mean one doesn't have a rebuttal.

Not sure if that's a joke or not, but one need look in from around page 2 onwards to see predictable heckling of 'unpopular views' by anyone whose opinions differ to leftist 'group-think' narrative. I mean, just look at Mack :laugh:

Nor is the concept of dual-sided online 'debate' a new phenomenon. Ruined by none other than TOO MUCH Free Speech via multitudinous 'platforms' where everyone and their dog just feel compelled to have a say! Whereas prior to Social Media and its kind you'd have less ways to partake in such discussions, so those that did were fewer in number, had something to contribute on the matter, and weren't overwhelmed by petulant outbursts of 'feelings' :laugh:

So that's all it's become now in terms of mass-debate (teehee- had to get that one in - ooh err) where it's simply being on the 'right side of history' (I detest that phrase - and the people who convince themselves they're part of it :D )

And with this Good vs Evil scenario, one had better make sure they're seen to be on the popular/ safe side, lest one becomes pariah-d into oblivion!

So yes, nothing new I'm afraid. Debate is dead! That's why I'll only tune into this thread for when I want to see lopsided views and all-round belly laughs :laugh::thumbsup:

Rrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeported!

100% agree, aslong as people can't debate in a decent way without calling eachother names there is no healthy debate possible. Why'd someone who's leaning left debate someone who's leaning right when they're being called a Marxist or vice versa a fascist?

Personal attacks usually mean one doesn't have a rebuttal.

The funny part is that Mr T is neither liberal nor conservative, and not even an independent.

He's a blatant bulldozing opportunist and rather good at it, I might add.

rather selective reading that; heckling comes both sides, as do 'feelings' :thumbsup:

@Harry_BKK Do you know if Buffalo Blitz II is having its wide release tomorrow? According to a review I read from some guy called Harry it should've been over a week ago but another site is saying the 13th.
excuse me, SIR
this is the National Geographic thread

@Harry_BKK Do you know if Buffalo Blitz II is having its wide release tomorrow? According to a review I read from some guy called Harry it should've been over a week ago but another site is saying the 13th.

Have to check. TBH, I did not keep track on this one whether the 3rd July was still correct. :oops:

EDIT: Can't find an update from Playtech. The last I had from them was a note for the 3rd July 2020. Sorry that I can't confirm.

Last edited:
definitely a bit slanted (article); makes a 'short' reference cancel culture can appeear on all sides but mostly goes on to continue to condemn the left; let's face it extremism exitss no matter what side youre on
But...but...but...but...what about the far right...

Whaboutism at its finest there, Dion.

The article is question was addressing a specific phenomenon engineered by the Left, whereby no criticism of 'allowed views and values', however respectful or intelligent, should be permitted.

[...] "But no one has the right to get people fired or made unemployable because of views that differ from their own, let alone because of their partner’s views."

It was in fact the actions and words used by some people aimed at African Americans that caused them to lose their job. To be precise, employers that propagate diversity & inclusion don't want to be associated with people treating other (black) citizens the way they did. For instance, Central Park Karen calling the cops on a black birdwatcher with a hysterical voice. That's a far cry from expressing one's own views.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above, but again, that is not what this particular article is about.

"There's a cruel streak in activism that says, 'If you disagree with me…you have no right to speak.'" (Robby Soave - Reasondotcom). And this, I believe, was the point of the article.

It was not defending racist behaviour, or hate speech, or all the Karens' despicable behaviour.

Rather gobsmacked at such a poorly researched and written article with no links to the actual cases that tries to convey that one side is bad without looking at the other side, no matter what the two sides are.
I repeat, it is an article addressing a specific phenomenon engineered by the Left, not a potential Pulitizer prize winning article that's purpose is to address extremist issues on both sides of the coin.

There were examples given - Jodie Cromer, Conor Daly, and the Harpers Magazine article signed by JKR and others. But how many was the author meant to give without turning the article into an unreadable laundry list? Alastair Stewart? Or Rick Friday? Or even Ghandi?

I'm beginning to think that many of you are projecting your own thoughts and feelings onto the article, and drawing conclusions that were neither stated or implied.

[...]

Yup, that will now be me as I have dared to embrace an article that has the temerity to criticise the Woke Cancel culture that is threatening many of our fundamental liberties.

I guess I will be joining Mack and Geordie Colin and many others on the Ship of Shame.

Although I still hate Trump and his bigoted, racist, misogynistic views with a passion.

Wow ladyhawke I wasn't quite expecting you to take that stance; two quotes from Orwell I saw in the Times today on the same subject:
I loathe injustice in any way, shape or form, no matter what side it comes from, and yes, I am more Left than Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back