Threads:

Latest posts

Health And Wellness

Need Some Help

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
Here is the situation. I've had since I was 8 years old, what is called Dystonia. The last year I've been having horrific neurological problems. I had a small stroke last September, and it was thought that was where the problems were coming from. After MRI's and blood work. I found out a couple of days ago, it's 100% Dystonia related. My brain is not producing enough dopamine. I have started a new medication that is strong as hell called levodopa. With this medication I cant have protein or fibre. Any dietary suggestions will be helpful :)

dionysus

Good(w)ill Ambassador
CAG
MM
a couple quickies -

Healthy Low-Protein Foods to Include
  • Fruits: Apples, bananas, pears, peaches, berries, grapefruit, etc.
  • Vegetables: Tomatoes, asparagus, peppers, broccoli, leafy greens, etc.
  • Grains: Rice, oats, bread, pasta, barley, etc.
  • Healthy fats: Includes avocados, olive oil and coconut oil.
Foods that are generally allowed on a low-fiber diet include:
  • White bread without nuts and seeds.
  • White rice, plain white pasta, and crackers.
  • Refined hot cereals, such as Cream of Wheat, or cold cereals with less than 1 gram of fiber per serving.
  • Pancakes or waffles made from white refined flour.

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
so, seems more a suggestion to avoid HIGH protein foods, rather than forgoing any protein whatsoever
My brain is in a fog right now. It says stuff about wheat too. So no fish, chicken, or meats. No rice? beans, eggs, etc. I'm going to have to figure this out.

dionysus

Good(w)ill Ambassador
CAG
MM
My brain is in a fog right now. It says stuff about wheat too. So no fish, chicken, or meats. No rice? beans, eggs, etc. I'm going to have to figure this out.
Anyone on a low-protein diet should limit or avoid the consumption of:
  • meat.
  • poultry.
  • fish and shellfish.
  • eggs.
  • dairy, including milk, cream, and cheese.
  • beans, peas, and lentils.
  • soy foods, such as tofu and tempeh.
  • nuts, nut butters, and seeds.

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
If you are taking levodopa by itself, do not take vitamin products containing vitamin B 6 during treatment, unless prescribed by your doctor. Large amounts of pyridoxine are also contained in some foods such as bananas, egg yolks, lima beans, meats, peanuts, and whole grain cereals.

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
so, basically, avoid dairy, legumes and grains
Well that was simple. Man this medication is strong! I went to the grocery store and only made it half way around the outside isle. :eek2: At least it has stopped the shaking. My whole body was shaking so bad, even my head. Here's hoping it will get me walking again. Just have to get through the side effects.

Jasminebed

Game old gal
Can you make an appointment to see a dietitian at the hospital? Looks like too much protein can interfere with the drug's absorption, so most suggest taking it about an hour or 90 mins before a meal. If you find it upsets your stomach, try taking it with some ginger tea and a soda cracker or two. Protein portions should be kept small and spread throughout the day. I'd suggest joining a distonia support group Jenn.

Starting at page 10, this paper on Parkinsons discusses levodopa and nutrition.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.