Need Some Computer Tech Help

Thank you! Amazing info :thumbsup:

I might add in both of the programs I mentioned for PCs or Macs, there are infinite advanced features for both the novice and the professional. Internal plugins can be used that do amazing effects making you look like a graphics wizard in seconds. The newer versions have amazing 3D effects and animation capabilities.

Advanced professional graphics or presentations are surprisingly easy if you are creative and have an artistic flair. Anything you can think can be done in several different ways and you don't need to be proficient in either program to come up with something brilliant. I highly recommend going to YouTube to watch "how-to" videos on doing some advanced but easy techniques.

I've been using both programs almost since they first came out not even using 30% of their capabilities.

Be sure to have enough memory (RAM) for fast transitioning and raw processing. If you are dealing with 300 dpi (dots per inch) known as print quality then be sure to have a minimum of 8 GB but 16 GB+ is recommended. For those that have older machines just don't run other programs in the background and you'll be fine.

Photoshop - Photo editing and advanced retouching, artwork (all styles), logos and creative design. The newer versions include quick animation shortcuts, PDF manipulation, scanning and adding advanced effects like branding or tailoring images for your family/business. Full web design integration as well. This is used by all professionals using PCs or Macs.

ACDSee - Definitive Image Organization - Fast resizing, compression, bulk renaming/resizing, file management/sorting and many one-click enhancements that Photoshop does but easier and faster. This is best used to catalog and organize your entire image library fast plus quick resizing or rotating.

I might add in both of the programs I mentioned for PCs or Macs, there are infinite advanced features for both the novice and the professional. Internal plugins can be used that do amazing effects making you look like a graphics wizard in seconds. The newer versions have amazing 3D effects and animation capabilities.

Advanced professional graphics or presentations are surprisingly easy if you are creative and have an artistic flair. Anything you can think can be done in several different ways and you don't need to be proficient in either program to come up with something brilliant. I highly recommend going to YouTube to watch "how-to" videos on doing some advanced but easy techniques.

I've been using both programs almost since they first came out not even using 30% of their capabilities.

Be sure to have enough memory (RAM) for fast transitioning and raw processing. If you are dealing with 300 dpi (dots per inch) known as print quality then be sure to have a minimum of 8 GB but 16 GB+ is recommended. For those that have older machines just don't run other programs in the background and you'll be fine.

Photoshop - Photo editing and advanced retouching, artwork (all styles), logos and creative design. The newer versions include quick animation shortcuts, PDF manipulation, scanning and adding advanced effects like branding or tailoring images for your family/business. Full web design integration as well. This is used by all professionals using PCs or Macs.

ACDSee - Definitive Image Organization - Fast resizing, compression, bulk renaming/resizing, file management/sorting and many one-click enhancements that Photoshop does but easier and faster. This is best used to catalog and organize your entire image library fast plus quick resizing or rotating.
I'm pretty good with computers. I love coding and building things from scratch.websites included. I know about Photoshop, but have never used it. My last book was a Children's book and the dpi's were set at 300. I had to shrink them for it to be usable in the book. It was my first book that has images, so I hope it turned out fine. I ended up using matte instead of glossy, just to be on the safe side. I will def check out ACDSee though.
And don't say anything about my grammar please. It's late and I don't care. :laugh: I have to be grammatically correct all day!

I'm pretty good with computers. I love coding and building things from scratch.websites included. I know about Photoshop, but have never used it. My last book was a Children's book and the dpi's were set at 300. I had to shrink them for it to be usable in the book. It was my first book that has images, so I hope it turned out fine. I ended up using matte instead of glossy, just to be on the safe side. I will def check out ACDSee though.
And don't say anything about my grammar please. It's late and I don't care. :laugh: I have to be grammatically correct all day!

Haha, who cares about grammar these days? Late-night doesn't count anyway. Yes, the sizes of 300 dpi images scanned or from RAW photos taken by a digital camera are massive in both file size and actual size. You want a minimum of 300 dpi for printing and if possible much higher. Web-ready images are only 72 dpi. Matte paper IMHO is better for books and reading materials.

The key to success on computers is good old fashioned hard work and application of your particular skill set. Sounds to me like you have that down perfectly. I wish you all the best on your book and future endeavors.

As I have always said to everyone when giving technical advice is to use what you feel comfortable with, everyone is different. Normally, hundreds of different ways to do the same thing. I see people telling others they MUST use this program or do something a certain way. This can do more harm than good so it is best to give at least two options if not more.

In the case of image manipulation, there are certain perennial "must-have" features or tools to get things done quick and easy. The name of the program doesn't matter as long as it does the basics that is easy for YOU. The most common photo operations are simple compressing, cropping, renaming, resizing and rotating. The average user doesn't need to know much more. This why ACDSee is perfect and it can be configured to show only these functions.

A lot of programs are cluttered with options which can confuse users. It's best to have the ability to keep things basic for your particular needs. Hope this helps others.

MS Paint you can very easily change pixel size resolution and many things. Works like a charm for me.

Absolutely and it comes prepackaged with Windows. Many people are fine with that as I have learned over the years. I've assisted and consulted a lot of people and always tell everyone to use what they are comfortable with. I'm just suggesting the best, easiest and quickest solutions without massive learning curves.

MS Paint is great for doing handfuls of images but if you are looking at hundreds or thousands you'll need to use something different. Unless you know how to program a macro to automate. ACDSee also integrates into your "shell" or system options like MS Paint whereby selecting a file or several, then right-clicking gives you options of rotating, flipping and whatever else you want.

By all means, use MS Paint due to your familiarity. It's fast and robust in its file handling taking minimal resources.

Thanks for the input as I'm sure somebody will find it useful.

Yeah I use pic resize which is free to use as mentioned already by Jono. A handy online tool.
For more extended work I use Photoshop CS on my laptop, always was a big fan and user of Photoshop but this takes a bit more time to get the hang of it.

Yeah I use pic resize which is free to use as mentioned already by Jono. A handy online tool.
For more extended work I use Photoshop CS on my laptop, always was a big fan and user of Photoshop but this takes a bit more time to get the hang of it.

Online apps are another good solution especially these days with fast internet. Always good to have a backup local solution if for some reason you can access the resource or get online. Some people may have privacy concerns as you can bet you are agreeing to let them get a copy of whatever image you are uploading.

The underlying question is how often do you need to manipulate an image? I would imagine a majority of us do these days.

Another great feature of the more advanced image editors is the ability to make a web album in just a few clicks SImply add your photos into a folder, pick a template, click build then upload it to a web server.

Again you can't go wrong whatever you are using as long as it gets the job done.

Speaking of excellent image tools probably one of the better online tools out there is Tin Eye, the reverse image search tool. If you get an image and wish to know where it was used or came from this is the tool you need. Even gives you names of recognizable people, places and things. It's getting better every day too.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back