Nashville pumps dry after panic about rumor of no gas

NASHVEGAS

Banned User - flamming, disrespecting admin,
Well, I hope snow is not in the forecast:rolleyes:, then the village idiots will not what to do:what:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

updated 4 hours, 5 minutes ago

(CNN) -- Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy: An estimated three-fourths of gas stations in the Nashville, Tennessee, area ran dry Friday, victim of an apparent rumor that the city was running out of gas.

Officials said panic regarding a rumor of a lack of gas caused customers to to rush to the pumps.

"Everybody has just gone nuts," said Mike Williams, executive director of the Tennessee Petroleum Council.

He said he has no idea about the origin of a rumor that there was going to be no gas in Nashville. One reporter called him, saying she had heard that Nashville would be without gas within the hour, he said.

Hearing the rumor, drivers rushed to fill their cars and trucks.

CNN called 13 Nashville gas stations at random. Only two reported having gas, and one said it was almost out. The stations said they were being told they would not get more until Monday or Tuesday. iReport.com: Nashville residents desperate for fuel

Katie Givens Kime, visiting from Atlanta, Georgia, was trying to fill up her tank for the trip home when she ran into trouble -- when she was already low on gas.

"We panicked and looked online," she said. "And holy cow, there is no gas in the city. ... It has definitely gripped the city, for sure."

One store clerk told her there was no way she could get gas to go back home, she said.

Williams said some drivers were following gas trucks to see where they were headed, and lines at some stations were a mile long. Fuel was continuing to enter the city, however, as pipelines were working and barges were coming in.

He likened it to Southerners rushing out to stock up on bread and milk when they hear it might snow. As stations began running low, the situation snowballed, he said.

One station reported selling as much gas Friday as it usually does in a weekend, Williams said.

The phenomenon seemed to be isolated to the Nashville area, he said. iReport.com: Is there a gas panic in your area?

Givens Kime said she found a station online that still had gas and waited more than an hour to pump it.

"People were freaked out," she said. A "renegade bunch" of men helped direct traffic to and from the pumps, even taking drivers' cash inside for them. She described people filling cans and other containers as well as cars.

She said that the station was not engaging in price gouging but that "emotions were running very high" among drivers.

There had to have been some truth in the rumors if that many stations were low enough to run out, and for 2 days at that....

Well, I hope snow is not in the forecast:rolleyes:, then the village idiots will not what to do:what:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

updated 4 hours, 5 minutes ago

(CNN) -- Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy: An estimated three-fourths of gas stations in the Nashville, Tennessee, area ran dry Friday, victim of an apparent rumor that the city was running out of gas.

Officials said panic regarding a rumor of a lack of gas caused customers to to rush to the pumps.

"Everybody has just gone nuts," said Mike Williams, executive director of the Tennessee Petroleum Council.

He said he has no idea about the origin of a rumor that there was going to be no gas in Nashville. One reporter called him, saying she had heard that Nashville would be without gas within the hour, he said.

Hearing the rumor, drivers rushed to fill their cars and trucks.

CNN called 13 Nashville gas stations at random. Only two reported having gas, and one said it was almost out. The stations said they were being told they would not get more until Monday or Tuesday. iReport.com: Nashville residents desperate for fuel

Katie Givens Kime, visiting from Atlanta, Georgia, was trying to fill up her tank for the trip home when she ran into trouble -- when she was already low on gas.

"We panicked and looked online," she said. "And holy cow, there is no gas in the city. ... It has definitely gripped the city, for sure."

One store clerk told her there was no way she could get gas to go back home, she said.

Williams said some drivers were following gas trucks to see where they were headed, and lines at some stations were a mile long. Fuel was continuing to enter the city, however, as pipelines were working and barges were coming in.

He likened it to Southerners rushing out to stock up on bread and milk when they hear it might snow. As stations began running low, the situation snowballed, he said.

One station reported selling as much gas Friday as it usually does in a weekend, Williams said.

The phenomenon seemed to be isolated to the Nashville area, he said. iReport.com: Is there a gas panic in your area?

Givens Kime said she found a station online that still had gas and waited more than an hour to pump it.

"People were freaked out," she said. A "renegade bunch" of men helped direct traffic to and from the pumps, even taking drivers' cash inside for them. She described people filling cans and other containers as well as cars.

She said that the station was not engaging in price gouging but that "emotions were running very high" among drivers.
not just in nashville garry but all over middle tennessee, sorta did a thread on it about gas prices a few days ago, and they say it will get worse, almost out down here south of you, had to wait in line for 45 mins. at the kwik sac, they are now out:eek: dont know how this is gonna play out as far as bizz's go, it wont be a pretty sight, no fuel, no work......laurie

Ya'll are being screwed. Just bought gas today fo $3.53 a gal. and none of the stations I have seen were out of gas. I'm in Texas and right before Ike hit gas jumped $.20 but it's back down now.

So go figure. :confused:

not just in nashville garry but all over middle tennessee, sorta did a thread on it about gas prices a few days ago, and they say it will get worse, almost out down here south of you, had to wait in line for 45 mins. at the kwik sac, they are now out:eek: dont know how this is gonna play out as far as bizz's go, it wont be a pretty sight, no fuel, no work......laurie
Yes I read the thread and saw your foreshadowing of this so not trying to steal your thunder or what you foreshadow. Since this has become a temporary National news story and a major local news story I did not want to comingle with the mostly gas prices thread. Furthermore, not being able to get my Victory Pizza delivered just pushed me over the edge and on account of, this is now worthy of an international news story and I am really hungry with about 20 minutes to decide if I will go for rat burgers if not Awful House is 24/7/365:D

Last edited:
There had to have been some truth in the rumors if that many stations were low enough to run out, and for 2 days at that....
Yes but our Democratic governor who was the mayor prior of Nashvegas (is very lowkey and makes tough decisions that lean towards future economic growth, i.e. he is solely responsible for having the biz saavy to bringing both the NFL and NHL to this hillbilly town, many of the taxpayers objected but it was based on the long term economic benefits, he had to make some tough decisons on cutting entitlements, and he does not turn a blind eye to state government corruption once it is exposed but the corruption is still pandemic and he needs a PAB filed first).

I am not sure what is going on but I do not see our governor simply sitting as quietly if it was all about collusion and price fixing (if it is there will be a price to pay by the guilty) but I have not kept up with enough to know and explain why this is homogeneous to Middle Tennessee.......where are the conspiracy theorists:p

Yes but our Democratic governor who was the mayor prior of Nashvegas (is very lowkey and makes tough decisions that lean towards future economic growth, i.e. he is solely responsible for having the biz saavy to bringing both the NFL and NHL to this hillbilly town, many of the taxpayers objected but it was based on the long term economic benefits, he had to make some tough decisons on cutting entitlements, and he does not turn a blind eye to state government corruption once it is exposed but the corruption is still pandemic and he needs a PAB filed first).

I am not sure what is going on but I do not see our governor simply sitting as quietly if it was all about collusion and price fixing (if it is there will be a price to pay by the guilty) but I have not kept up with enough to know and explain why this is homogeneous to Middle Tennessee.......where are the conspiracy theorists:p

Were doing research on the subject matter at the moment !! :p;):D

Just back from a weekend in the Yosemite National Park near Sn Francisco, and I saw no evidence of shortages of any type - and in particular gasoline - there. The place was chock-a-block with thousands of vehicles everywhere and gas at around the $4 mark!

Worth the trip too - what a spectacularly beautiful place!

I live in a little farming town in northeast Ala. More than half the stations are out of regular and low on premium -- as has been the case since that damn hurricane hit Houston. WalMart's Murphy's seems to keep gasoline -- I filled up Saturday -- $3.95 for regular (It's $3.99 everywhere else -- if they even have it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back