My personal gain!

babs7262

Banned User
Today I can proudly say that my life has been managable and addiction free for 10 years!! August 16th 1998 I walked into a drug rehab and said "I surrender"

Yes, I hit some bumpy roads but still feel this is one of my proudest and biggest accomplishments in life and I wanted to share this with my friends.
Today is a new day to those in need of help and I would like to offer my friendship or an ear to listen or help you through yours if you too suffer from an addiction

Congratulations Babs:thumbsup:
And many more great years ahead to be Free.
Scientology-drug-free.jpg

congratulations_champaign_fireworks.gif

B-T

"Awesome"

EXCELLENT!!!! :thumbsup: Hell of a road, But SO WORTH IT!!!
Been 20 yrs for me....life just gets better and better! Life's highs are so much sweeter!!

It was great to read your post, as I just thought of quitting smoking today.
But sometimes I feel so weak, it was very good to read your success with quitting addiction. I tried to quit several times, but how life is, every time I started, life threw an obstacle into my way which I just couldn't survive with quitting smoking at the same time.

But this time it HAS to work!

:oops:

Babs,

That is absolutely wonderful. So proud of you. I never was an addict but I used to drink a lot. When I quit I found that the people I use to hang with weren't nearly as funny, smart, witty, charming as I thought that were. :D
Life sure is different when your eyes are clear.

Bingolady,

I quit smoking 6 years ago Sept. 2. That was the day that my sign. other was diagnosed with a lung disease. Had to just throw them away. It was hard and sometimes to this day I get to jonesing for a smoke and then I think about my mother. She smoked from the time she was 15 up until she died from heart disease. She would have us go out and light up a cig., put it out and bring it into her hospital room so she could get a drag on it. Don't be like that. You can do it.

Thats one thing that Im not ready to do yet, quite smoking. Im always getting check ups so I hope Ill be ok. Im not a heavy smoker at all but do enjoy it. Maybe one day! Geez, its starting to cost more then gambling lol

Congratulations Babs!!!!

May you have many, many more addiction free years ahead of you :thumbsup: :)

God bless you Babs!

I'm very glad to hear that some people can actually do it! I am addicted to alot of things...Gambling, smoking, eating, drinking. Not at the same time! I find if I don't have one of those things to do I have to do something else. I find it very hard to just "be". My therapist says I need to create "chaos" in my life. I think she's right.

Hiya Deb! (and thank you heather!)

I have a friend who is addicted to drama. Seriously, if she doesnt have something stressful going on shes miserable. She loves being occupied by problems. It is more common than you think.

Oh trust me, I have my OCD vices! I have been working out on the treadmill for over 3 months, everyday. If its not working out its cooking, if its not cooking its downloading movies. I love to have projects. I am a task hound!
I too switch back and fourth to vices/hobbies that wont effect my finances or health and I dont think there is anything wrong with that as long as it doesnt consume your life.

LOL..my family always ask me when they call each week what "my thing" is that week :D

Well since everyone is talking about addictions...I will come clean too...:oops:

I'm addicted to SEX & MONEY and I can't ever seem to get enough of either one...:D

I've had this problem for quite some time now, some weeks are better that others though...:cool:

For all of you guys that have managed to break your addictions, my hats off to you for having the willpower to do it...:notworthy

Bingolady,

I quit smoking 6 years ago Sept. 2. That was the day that my sign. other was diagnosed with a lung disease. Had to just throw them away. It was hard and sometimes to this day I get to jonesing for a smoke and then I think about my mother. She smoked from the time she was 15 up until she died from heart disease. She would have us go out and light up a cig., put it out and bring it into her hospital room so she could get a drag on it. Don't be like that. You can do it.

Thank you for your kind words Anniemac, somehow I cannot find the Thanks button for a post :)

God bless you Babs!

I'm very glad to hear that some people can actually do it! I am addicted to alot of things...Gambling, smoking, eating, drinking. Not at the same time! I find if I don't have one of those things to do I have to do something else. I find it very hard to just "be". My therapist says I need to create "chaos" in my life. I think she's right.

Hehe, I know what you mean! In my case gambling was equal to MMORPG, but it is similar. Some months ago I felt my life is going nowhere and I cannot tell anyone that "Look, I achieved this and that and those." It was quite a bad feeling, so I stopped MMORPG and I gamble here and there just for relaxing. I stopped to eat all those junk foods and started to cook with hubby. (Thank god, he is very capable of cooking and he doesn't hate healthy foods either :)

After 10 years of doing nothing I finally started to move, to do exercises every other day. And it changed my life, I don't have that much stress, I can now enjoy sports. Me, who didn't like to move at all!
But I need to admit, for the change I needed a problem to appear in my life that made me change.

But smoking is the big enemy from which I want to free myself.

And LOL @ RobWin :)

I too had a drug problem ( hey I'm a child of the 80 s - it was everywhere) when I got pregnant w/ my first I quit and have never looked back. :D it was a blessing in a lot of ways me getting pregnant - first it was a miracle doctors said I was probably not going to be able to have babies ( I now have 4 girls) and the amount of drugs I was doing probably would have killed me. My husband always ask me if I will tell my girls of my addiction - My oldest is 13 and I have had the talk w/ her - I think being open and honest will help them not fall into the same trap I did.

I too had a drug problem ( hey I'm a child of the 80 s - it was everywhere) when I got pregnant w/ my first I quit and have never looked back. :D it was a blessing in a lot of ways me getting pregnant - first it was a miracle doctors said I was probably not going to be able to have babies ( I now have 4 girls) and the amount of drugs I was doing probably would have killed me. My husband always ask me if I will tell my girls of my addiction - My oldest is 13 and I have had the talk w/ her - I think being open and honest will help them not fall into the same trap I did.

Awesome ClassyMom!
Its so funny how you see a name and avatar and think the opposite. Im so influenced by so much stupid stuff. Not that your not classy but you come off so prim (compliment) in your posts and the manner in which you usually speak and now I read this. Its just so funny how we perceive others when chances are they have walked in our shoes.

I'm as far from prim and proper as one can get :D I am working hard at the classiness though - Hee Hee. I do agree sometimes we get an impression of people that are totally false. I do feel good about overcoming my past and can relate to anyone who is overcoming addiction as its not an easy thing to do. :thumbsup:

Today I can proudly say that my life has been managable and addiction free for 10 years!! August 16th 1998 I walked into a drug rehab and said "I surrender"

Yes, I hit some bumpy roads but still feel this is one of my proudest and biggest accomplishments in life and I wanted to share this with my friends.
Today is a new day to those in need of help and I would like to offer my friendship or an ear to listen or help you through yours if you too suffer from an addiction

way to go babs. i'd say let's fire up a blunt and celebrate but that's probably not a good idea huh?

way to go babs. i'd say let's fire up a blunt and celebrate but that's probably not a good idea huh?

errrrummmm blunts werent my problem...thats my hubby!! I never did like weed. I had a much stronger gateway. When I do something, I start big!!:D

THanks (((((hugs))))

im very proud of you barbara:thumbsup:i hope to hear the same thing 10 more years from now, i know you'll do it as you are a strong willed person and thats something to be admired for my friend:)..........laurie

Good going Babs - I know where you're coming from, I was a meth addict for several years...it almost killed me - I've still got the scars to remind me of that time in my life. I quit on my own and it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm so frigging proud of myself - been close to 10 years for me too. And I'm proud of the rest of you who have been through the wars too, I know it ain't easy.

By the way, gambling isn't an addiction - it's a hobby. An expensive stressful exhilarating and sometimes depressing hobby. Like knitting....
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back