dunover

Unofficial T&C's Editor
Staff member
webmeister
PABnonaccred
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm3
It's probably skirting very close to the BACTA regulations. (If not breaching them.)

It says on the display 'AVOID THE STOP' and invites the player to make a choice, the clear implication being that it is possible to choose correctly, when in actual fact there is no winning choice.

Moreover, once the player makes his choice, the machine switches the contents of the box they didn't choose, then reveals that box, to make it look like the player only lost because he chose incorrectly.

Pretty scummy.
No different to the principle of the unwinnable hi-lo gamble though.

ChopleyIOM

Hearthstone Addict
webby
Yes I'd agree, both are scummy practices.

Compensated machines are just a bad idea IMO, the 'industry' has demonstrated time and time again, over decades, that it's completely incapable of designing them without them being bent and/or open to abuse and/or cheating and/or vulnerable to 'player advantage' play etc.

It's good that they're finally dying off to be replaced by random machines.

(EDIT - And that last sentence there is my honest sentiment, even though I've personally been making money out of them since around 2001.)

Jono777

Meister Member
CAG
mm1
mm4
It's probably skirting very close to the BACTA regulations. (If not breaching them.)

It says on the display 'AVOID THE STOP' and invites the player to make a choice, the clear implication being that it is possible to choose correctly, when in actual fact there is no winning choice.

Moreover, once the player makes his choice, the machine switches the contents of the box they didn't choose, then reveals that box, to make it look like the player only lost because he chose incorrectly.

Pretty scummy.
I always said to my friends when these sort of machines first appeared in the pubs arcades etc, that there is NO WAY it is a genuine choice.

Can't recall my exact words but "Anything could be going on behind that mirror" rings a bell. We/they didn't understand RTP fully back then but we discussed how 10 players 'fluking' the right choice continually would end up the machine possibly making a loss!

Scummy indeed!

ChopleyIOM

Hearthstone Addict
webby
Interestingly (sort of..... :) ) there was a fruit machine that made a big deal out of the fact that it featured a 'FAIR PLAY' hi/lo reel that didn't cheat.

I tested it to destruction in the emulator :)

Spikie

I’ve just read an interesting patent from 1987 submitted by JPM regarding SWP skill with prizes machines , patent no GB2185612A , available to read on google patent search.

In a nutshell, it basically covers the compensation in difficulty in skill machines (quiz or others) that increases the difficulty to keep the balance between machine income and payouts ....

ChopleyIOM

Hearthstone Addict
webby
Latest addition to the channel (as already linked in the Gonzo's Quest Megaways) is my rather unfortunate interaction with this wonderful game....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)