My Namesake Place is Closing! : (

Westland Bowl

Tin Foil Hat Club Member
PABnonaccred
CAG
My namesake favorite place to be during my teen years has closed This was a huge center of 60 bowling lanes and one of the best centers in the Detroit area.

Westland Bowl going.jpgWESTLAND_BOWL.JPG

That sucks! I remember when a small place we used to go as a family closed down after 40 years in business. It was such a great place to go in the wintertime. They had this huge walkthrough area where there would be model trains outside going around snowbanks and rocks...reindeer, hot apple cyder and just a whole bunch of xmas stuff.

I dont like changes :(

It's sad when a landmark business closes down. When I was in Phoenix there was this really cool old movie theatre called the Cine Capri, I saw several movies there. It was a real cool and glamorous building with what seemed like acres of red velvet curtains. They took it down and put up some executive offices or something and rebuilt a new one since, but it's just not the same.

You should see if you can get hold of one of those signs though!

I guess one of the oldest mom and pop store in America closed last July.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

plus the worlds oldest shipping company in the UK

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

it does suck when places have to close.

Our local 10-pin Bowling Alley is closing down soon to - to be replaced by yet another major chain shop we really don't need... :(
It's only about a mile from where we live. Not that I play very much - but I feel very sorry for all those who do as I think the next nearest one is something like 35 - 40 miles away!

It sucks when major facilities like this close down - but if they're not making money it's inevitable.

KK

So sorry to hear this Westland, it's sad when longstanding businesses are forced to close due to economic conditions. When trying to find different inexpensive things to do with my grandsons, we find our options extremely limited.

The kids just don't have any places where they can go to hangout any more. I used to hangout at the roller rink or the ice rink in the winter and nice weather (spring/summer)was spent playing tennis, riding bikes, hiking, etc. Nowadays kids spend too much time exercising their thumbs texting and playing video games, JMO. Although, maybe it would have been different if we had all the gadgets when I was a kid like the kids do now.

I agreed totally! Those retails giant are often the one responsible for siphoning the small business always. Thats what I hate about big time! Here in Australia those are siphoning small business are: Woolworths, Coles, Kmart, Big-W, Target, Costco, Foodland, MSY computers, Ikea, etc. Thats how it happen around the world also unfortunately as it happens this way. I think it is difficult challenge for small business to face with. My friend computer shop no longer have much customer anymore thanks to MSY computers warehouse are spreading rapidly as they offer lowest price in Adelaide attracting more customer around. So I don't think it will be easy anymore sadly. Oh I forgot more, my friend used to run Go Digi Accredited Fujifilm Photolab at Arndale had to be closed down due to lack of customer because of Big-W department also has fujifilm photo lab but not accredited and they stole his customer also. Its a shame really! Go Digi accredited photo lab is trained for to operate photo lab as a strict accreditation guideline compare to cheap photolab doesn't have proper well trained assistant to run the machine. I was trained to run fujifilm photo lab and it was good fun to work with my friend though. I was also trained to fix computer at my friend computer shop. But this no longer the case anymore. Life is changing.

I know change is inevitable in this world, but as I grow older, it kind of creeps me out that so many old familiar things are going the way of the dodo.

A customer came in the other day to pay her bill, along with her was her grandson... maybe 17 or so? Anyway, as she was leaving she asked the best place in town to get a spare key made and I tell her the name of the place 'you know, beside the old bowling alley building'. She nods, oh yeah! Her grandson looks up from his cellphone and says, "What's a bowling alley?"

I was really sad to hear that a shop in London that had been in business for 125 years had to close it's doors because it couldn't compete with the internet. I know I have played my part in that, which leaves a feeling of regret in a way... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back