More help for someone useless please

asidea

®Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?
PABnonaccred
I'm having a nightmare lol.

No discs, no manuals, no recover software.

I basically paid a guy who used to run his own PC business to do a build from scratch.

Chose the components with advice from members here and he brought it to my house all pre-loaded and ready to go.

Even been googling and PC world don't appear to offer the 'free' diagnostics that they used to do???
I am gonna ask you if you can see cmd prompt in your black screen?i.e. - C:/
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
- free diagnostic tool

Last edited:

asidea

PABnonaccred
Then how come you can access the internet?Did you use your mobile?

ternur

Deep in the Mosh'sh Pit
webby
CAG
mm3
Nope, cannot see anything.

It is like the screen is receiving no signal at all from the PC
Did you try the screen with your old pc (the one you're using now)?

Or is it just one screen, two boxes?

Last edited:

asidea

PABnonaccred
A screen that doesn't turn on may be a sign of a malfunctioning screen or a bad connection between the computer and the monitor. For desktop computers, trying another monitor or cable is a simple way to see if one or the other is at fault. Of course, if you're having this trouble with your laptop or all-in-one system, or if a bad video card is the problem, some disassembly may be required.

Windows users could be confronting a corrupted system file. In that case you might see a
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
but nothing else on the screen. Another cause might be a problem with a display adapter. Basically, if the computer can't detect a monitor of some kind, the screen will remain black. In cases like these, when you can't even get the computer to launch, you may need to restart your computer and boot into recovery mode. To do this, you'll need to press F8 repeatedly as your computer boots up. An alternative is to use an external drive, such as a DVD or flash drive.

Also is your battery plugin?

Jono777

Meister Member
CAG
mm1
mm4
One screen

My primary PC it displays black screen, tower is working as all the keyboard and mouse lights are on and the fan is running.

Old PC (the 2011 one) is working with the same screen so its not the screen, speed is so slow, it reminds me of my ZX Spectrum days!

Despite my (VERY) limited knowledge and from your guys input I am 99% convinced its either

i) The video card Nivida thing-ma-bob
ii) The driver causing a problem
iii) The little black plug which allows the fittings to match on the monitor cable

*Apologies for the lack of technical jargon :oops: - also thanks for all the input today one and all!

ternur

Deep in the Mosh'sh Pit
webby
CAG
mm3
One screen

My primary PC it displays black screen, tower is working as all the keyboard and mouse lights are on and the fan is running.

Old PC (the 2011 one) is working with the same screen so its not the screen, speed is so slow, it reminds me of my ZX Spectrum days!

Despite my (VERY) limited knowledge and from your guys input I am 99% convinced its either

iii) The little black plug which allows the fittings to match on the monitor cable

*Apologies for the lack of technical jargon :oops: - also thanks for all the input today one and all!
My bet would be the Nivea thingy. Or the driver.

Hard to tell since you can't access the damn thing with the monitor attached.

Problem solving (esp. hardware) is great, isn't it? I had a mysterious problem with my pc years ago and asked my super geeky friend to help out. He basicly separated every thing from the case and... left. :rolleyes:

As it turned out, the broken component was the psu.

Last edited:

ternur

Deep in the Mosh'sh Pit
webby
CAG
mm3
One screen

Just one more thing.

Did you check if the display card is still properly in its slot? Maybe it loosened up when you were running around the house with the case?

Jono777

Meister Member
CAG
mm1
mm4
Just one more thing.

Did you check if the display card is still properly in its slot? Maybe it loosened up when you were running around the house with the case?
Yeah, I check that mate!

Just had to 'give in' and book it in for a diagnostic at a repair shop.

PRAYING it is not an expensive job as I'm a touch fiscally embarrased right now but really need it as I also work from home and my PC generates some of my regular income :eek:

goatwack

You're too fat to be an astronaut
CAG
It's starting to sound more and more like a hardware problem caused by the ruckus and physical moving of the PC, less the Nivea drivers

asidea

PABnonaccred
Yeah, I check that mate!

Just had to 'give in' and book it in for a diagnostic at a repair shop.

PRAYING it is not an expensive job as I'm a touch fiscally embarrased right now but really need it as I also work from home and my PC generates some of my regular income :eek:
bash.jpg bash1.jpg

bash2.jpg

Jono777

Meister Member
CAG
mm1
mm4
Ok felt I needed to update if nothing more than to respect and thank those who tried to help.

It turned out the Ndivia Graphics card had blown and I stood no chance of fixing things without replacing the whole thing.

Now for the super embarrassing part.....

If I'd only looked a little harder, it turns out that there is a VGA port built onto the mother board and all I had to do is plug the monitor in to that instead, at least as a temporary fix until I could purchase a new Graphics card :oops: :oops:

Up and running for now but need the card and a replacement fan for the PSU as this had shattered also, guy cleaned it out and solved the noisy, laggy issues also for now.

GC is about £50 and fan £5 so not a total disaster as I first thought (touch wood!) :)

asidea

PABnonaccred
Jono777:-
"If I'd only looked a little harder, it turns out that there is a VGA port built onto the mother board and all I had to do is plug the monitor in to that instead, at least as a temporary fix until I could purchase a new Graphics card :oops: :oops:".

I vaguely remember something about VGA for older pc's, when it's in regard to graphics, during my student days, but forgot to mention it:p, but all's good now..happy days;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)