Monzo calls for Government to Force all Banks to allow Customers to Block Gambling Transactions

News Hound

Casinomeister News
Staff member
CAG
MM
Joined
Feb 15, 2019

Scott1baird

Senior Member
MM
Joined
Oct 16, 2018
Location
Isle of Bute Scotland
That's a good idea. It could possibly be automatically done if you sign up to say gamstop or gamban. That would let players play and help stop problem gamblers.
 

dunover

Unofficial T&C's Editor
Staff member
webmeister
PABnonaccred
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm3
Joined
May 22, 2012
Location
the bus shelter, opposite GCHQ Benhall
Pointless, as GAMSTOP people will seek out scam casinos and therefore transactions will be disguised - the criminals know all this which is why they use disguised transactions!!
 

MrSim

Newbie member
Joined
Sep 13, 2017
Location
United Kingdom
Another issue is payment services like Trustly circumvent any Gambling Blocks placed on debit cards. Perhaps that needs addressing?
 

Scott1baird

Senior Member
MM
Joined
Oct 16, 2018
Location
Isle of Bute Scotland
I just opened an account with monzo, I wish doing a sow was as easy. Took me literally 1 minute.
 

geordiecolin

Meister Member
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm4
Joined
Jun 5, 2015
Location
Near Newcastle
Pointless, as GAMSTOP people will seek out scam casinos and therefore transactions will be disguised - the criminals know all this which is why they use disguised transactions!!
I agree that it would be manna from heaven to rogue sites but I only think that there will be the extremes of people who will take advantage of scam casinos.
Even then many would only visit them in their weakest moments such as drinking too much,opportunity,partner not keeping an eye on them being a few examples. For a lot of people having a block on gambling sites via their bank would be a great tool that would prevent gambling taking so much of a hold on them that they would not bother seeking out such scam sites. I can see this being the path that all banks will go down. And not just in the UK.
 

geordiecolin

Meister Member
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm4
Joined
Jun 5, 2015
Location
Near Newcastle
Whats the difference between asking your bank to block gambling transactions, and choosing not to deposit in a gambling site?
An example is me. 98% of the time I can set a limit and stick to it. It is the other 2% of the time that bothers me. But only if I lose. But even then I do not go mad like some folk do or can do.
An example is that back in the day I was a poker player and didn't touch slots. After one too many drinks I become much braver and trusting in my own instincts which led me to gamble much more hands and risk higher amounts. I would even switch from playing my more conservative style to being aggressive at times. It often worked in my favor but sometimes it lead to disaster
I switched to slots which proved to be much more stable. But I like the idea of being able to hit the switch button via my bank and I honestly think it will be available in most countries sooner rather than later
 
Last edited:
Top