Milkyway Panorama

Some Breathtaking and STUNNING Pictures....

Nasa's Astronomy Picture of the Day (Archives) - Some of the descriptions and distances are beyond comprehension.

Im loving it... Enjoy

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Nate

Those images from your first post, are amazing, sorry I missed it before.

The second images sure let you know that there is a lot out there! I always loved astronomy, even took classes about it.

Thanks for posting this, Nate!

Rocky, we like to think we are the only ones out there. But it is hard to fathom why we would be the "only intelligence". I do think we should be grateful for the glory of the universe and keep watching for another intelligent species to come visit us.

Last edited:
Rocky, we like to think we are the only ones out there. But it is hard to fathom why we would be the "only intelligence". I do think we should be grateful for the glory of the universe and keep watching for another intelligent species to come visit us.

Indeed, it's pretty arrogant and IMO completely insane to suggest we're the only intelligent life form in all that! Remember that the first post is only our galaxy, so however massive it seems it's only a tiny tiny fraction of the whole universe.

Thanks Guys...It's too good not to share :p

I 100% agree that the possibility of other life or even intelligence is too great to dismiss. Scientists theorise that the Milky Way Galaxy has about 200 to 300 Billion Stars (Suns)... If we take 30-50% of those and assume that they are old enough to support life for extended periods, we are looking at between 100 to 150Billion stars that have planets around them. Assuming that the average amount of planets orbiting these stars are 10 (With 2 being habitable), we have a recipe for a huge possibility of other life existing.

According to the Drake theory, given the vastness of our own galaxy, there exists the possibiltiy that there are 1million civilizations in our OWN Galaxy.

Other info sources also state that the Universe has AT LEAST between 200 to 300 billion galaxies (AT LEAST the equivalent of the number of Stars in our galaxy)... Then others theorise that we reside in a Universe that is part of a multiverse...

If life existed in our own Milkyway Galaxy, we would probably never be able to visit other planets given the vastness of space. The Sun is 150 Million Km's away... The nearest Star (Outside our solar system) to earth is Proxima Centauri at 4 light years. 1 Light year equates to the distance light travels in one year at the speed of 300 000km's per second. So light travels roughly 10 trillion Km's per year which ideally means that Proxima Centauri is 40 trillion KM's away and would take us 4 years at the speed of light to visit. Radio waves travel at the same speed of light so a message and a reply to our nearest star would take 8 years...

Pretty mind boggling.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back