Tips Metroplay / 666BET license suspended

You may want to check your source(s) of information... Their IoM license was ceased when they migrated onto their BetConstruct platform last year. 666Bet as a company may still be registered on the Isle of Man, but definitely not licensed there & this is why only the UK & Alderney gambling commissions are the ones directly concerned with this matter.

Former platform providers (Novigroup) are still licensed in the IoM, but as per above news items & their own website

Thanks for the clarification.

In terms of the entire operation Novigroup (the B2B element) and Bet666 (the B2C) element are both part of the operation and both need a UK licence. Novigroup still has a UK licence which even refers to 666, again I believe that licence is a continuation one based upon their IoM licence but I guess they may have finished the process, by my rough estimate from the dribbling news about 60 of the roughly 150 continuation licences have been replaced with full licences

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I don't really like dragging Novigroup in to this as in Dec Bet666 and they sort of fell out (coincidentally just as the new licencing was kicking in)so they were supposed to have moved to BetConstruct* and EveryMatrix**

In hindsight I guess we should see such B2B falling outs as a warning sign, especially if in conjunction with regulatory change. IF they are still using Novigroup then the IoM regulators will have to be in the loop too even if they have not suspended the B2B they were leaving/have left.

*BetConstruct have applied for a UK software supplier licence - not yet granted and have not applied for a B2B operators licence.

** EveryMatrix have a continuation licence as a B2B and a pending UK software supplier licence application. They have licences from Malta, Alderney and Curacao so relying on the Malta and Alderney ones for the continuation.

You may want to check your source(s) of information... Their IoM license was ceased when they migrated onto their BetConstruct platform last year. 666Bet as a company may still be registered on the Isle of Man, but definitely not licensed there & this is why only the UK & Alderney gambling commissions are the ones directly concerned with this matter.

See
and

Also see PR regarding platform migration
and Old / Expired Link

Former platform providers (Novigroup) are still licensed in the IoM, but as per above news items & their own website

"To 666bet Customers

We would like to inform you that as of 18.12.2014 Novigroup Ltd will no longer provide its betting and gaming services to 666bet customers.

The website will remain open solely for the purpose of allowing all customers to withdraw their remaining account balance. We wish to reassure you that all customers’ funds will be paid promptly and in full.

At Novigroup Ltd we take pride in ensuring our customers’ protection, therefore please accept in advance our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may experience during this period. You can definitely count on our 24/7 support should you need further information. Please do not hesitate to contact us at support@novigroupltd.com.

Sincerely,
Novigroup Ltd
PO Box 227, Clinch's House, Lord Street, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM99 1RZ "

URL Not Found / Outdated

So, there WAS a mechanism under the old platform for suspending the wagering, but allowing the withdrawal of players' funds. Under the new platform, this is supposedly "prohibited under the rules and regulations.......". It seems reasonable for the UKGC to take the view that it's common industry practice to switch off the wagering, but allow the site to remain available for the distribution of players' funds.

The UKGC should learn from this case that this assumption is not necessarily universal, and it was the statement from the UKGC saying that there was nothing to stop 666Bet from returning players' funds that makes it look highly suspicious that instead of doing so, 666Bet started stalling, and are now claiming that returning players' funds is actually prohibited until they get their licence reinstated.

The UKGC should add a specific clause in their rules to make it totally clear that even with a suspended licence, the return of players' funds IS allowed, and that it is actually "prohibited" for the contracts between the various parties to contain any terms that would obstruct the return of players' funds.

The UKGC should learn from this case that this assumption is not necessarily universal, and it was the statement from the UKGC saying that there was nothing to stop 666Bet from returning players' funds that makes it look highly suspicious that instead of doing so, 666Bet started stalling, and are now claiming that returning players' funds is actually prohibited until they get their licence reinstated.

The UKGC should add a specific clause in their rules to make it totally clear that even with a suspended licence, the return of players' funds IS allowed, and that it is actually "prohibited" for the contracts between the various parties to contain any terms that would obstruct the return of players' funds.

I agree, such guidance could be issued via their blog in mere days.

In my submission to the UKGC consultation on player fund protection I made clear that I though that they were wrong to make the smaller B2C responsible for the player funds. I argued forcibly that the B2B and the B2C should be jointly and severally liable for the player funds.

You should note that when it comes to the Point of Consumption tax. this is the case. Sorry for the long quote below from my submission quoting the earlier HMRC consultation which just backs up that HMRC will be able to tap the B2B but the players will not but I think it is an important point.

HMRC POC Consultation – Case Study
The approach taken by HMRC to such networks within their consultation on the Point of
Consumption tax shows a more considered appreciation of the need to ensure that a share
of the risk remains with the B2B operator.
Old / Expired Link
te_gambling_summary_of_responses.pdf
“3.36 Following the concerns raised by many operators surrounding the definition of
“provision of facilities”, the Government intends that the person liable for remote
gaming duty will be the person with whom the customer contracts or enters into
arrangements with for the gamble. While in the vast majority of cases this will be the
same person as the person who holds a Gambling Commission ROL[Remote
Operating Licence], the Government intends that ROL holders will also be made
joint and severally liable to duty where this is not the case. [My bold]
3.37 Some respondents raised concerns with the extension of joint and several
liability to members of a network, where a single gambling offering is provided by
two or more operators. In particular, they noted that operators would not always be
able to account for their partners’ duty liabilities, and that they should therefore not
be made liable in these circumstances.
3.38 However,some operators responded that it would be highly unlikely that a
holder of a ROL would be unaware of dutiable profits. Some highlighted that, in
cases where tax liability is shared, for example between a customer-facing operator
and a service provider, there may be short periods during a commercial
“reconciliation period”, when profits or losses are settled,when the holder of a ROL
would not be aware of how much tax they would be liable to. Beyond the
reconciliation period, ROL holders would have full sight of the profits from the
offering, and therefore of their tax liability.
The Government’s response

3.39 The Government has taken respondents’ concerns into consideration and
intends that, as outlined in the consultation, joint and several liability will extend
to all those holding a ROL for a relevant remote gambling offering. Joint and
several liability will not extend to different companies who offer gambling as
part of a network, such as a single poker game with customers of different
operators, but who are not corporately affiliated.”
[My Bold]

My understanding of this consultation outcome is that each B2B Poker network will be
jointly and severally liable for the tax due with each of their B2C partners. A B2C operator
will not however be jointly and severally liable for the tax due from a B2C on the same
network, as they have no contractual arrangement between themselves, they merely share
a Remote Operator Licence partner (the B2B network).

This is how I concluded this section of my response:

It is not difficult to imagine a scenario where a B2C firm fails, owing both HMRC and players
money, where even with separate accounts for player funds players would not be repaid
but HMRC would be able to recover the tax due from the B2B operator

From www.metroplay.com

On Monday 20th April we will be providing all customers with details of how they can process their withdrawals from our site.

We sincerely apologise for the delay which has been due to matters outside of our control.

Thank you for your continued patience.

The MetroPlay Team

Hoping everyone gets their balances.

From www.metroplay.com

There are no issues beyond their control. They were claiming that they were trying to find a 3rd party / payment processor in order to pay out and also get permission to open the site back up to allow for withdrawals.

None of this is necessary - they will have access to people's details, balances and contact details. They could easily contact everyone and pay via that method regardless of how much it costs them.

I would imagine if they are being genuine with their statement, they are trying to find a payment processor that will allow them to transfer money at a cheaper cost as I am guessing that all of their original payment processors have cancelled any contracts and ceased to do business with them.

Everything they have stated makes it appear that their business bank account is still operational and has not been frozen, which I am quite surprised about considering the directors were arrested for fraud. Surely HMRC would have frozen their assets

From www.metroplay.com

On Monday 20th April we will be providing all customers with details of how they can process their withdrawals from our site.

We sincerely apologise for the delay which has been due to matters outside of our control.

Thank you for your continued patience.

The MetroPlay Team

Haven't seen anything from 666bet...was this just supposed to be Metroplay? Did anyone else get any notification?

Haven't seen anything from 666bet...was this just supposed to be Metroplay? Did anyone else get any notification?

They did promise an update today and here it is!

On 666bet.co.uk

We are working closely with 3rd parties in order to ensure that the most suitable pay out options are available to our customers and these discussions are taking a little longer than expected.

We will post another update as soon as we have One available but no later than Wednesday afternoon and once again apologise for any inconvenience.

Thanks for your patience in this matter.

The 666BET Team

I'm guessing Wednesday will change to Thursday at somepoint tomorrow

Latest update........ Seems promising???

We anticipate customers being able to gain access to their accounts by Friday 24th April and thank you for your patience in this matter.

Should we be able to bring this forward we will do so and update accordingly

The 666BET Team

Let's see how this goes....

The site is back up. Not only fot withdrawals what it seems. They accepts bets as well!!

I don't have an account there. Has anyone tried to withdraw or placed a bet?

The site is back up. Not only fot withdrawals what it seems. They accepts bets as well!!

I don't have an account there. Has anyone tried to withdraw or placed a bet?

When you go to deposit it says you can't. My withdrawal from March shows as "Success" but obviously hasn't been paid. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Their site is back up again now & it's been confirmed they're using Skrill to process player payments...

“In preparation for you being able to access your account and make a withdrawal can we ask that all customers who do not currently have a Skrill/Moneybookers account to please open one as soon as possible as this will be the only option open to customers in the near future.”

“666Bet would like to thank customers once again for their patience in this matter and we appreciate your understanding in what has been a very difficult period where we have been reliant on other 3rd parties”

(The above is nowhere to be found on their website, but a release can be found
. Interesting to note that their website does still display the crests and links to Alderney & UK Gambling Commissions)

Hopefully some success?!?!

its back up this morning, any joy with logging in/withdrawing?

Successfully logged in, money surprisingly was still showing and was able to withdraw! Have screenshots of transaction ID etc...

Now just have to play the waiting game and see if it shows up! Hopefully they won't give me all the KYC crap again as am assuming it was all sorted before they closed.

I'll update if I receive anything!

Just checked my account, the only withdrawal method is skrill which is annoying, so I've resurrected my old account, will be interesting to see how long they pay.

Didn't receive a single email from 666bet letting me know I can withdraw or how to do it, but I doubt they're to concerned with customer service atm :p

666BET OPERATOR METRO PLAY LTD. ORDERED INTO COMPULSORY LIQUIDATION

"The company behind the UK-facing 666Bet and Metro Play online gambling sites is officially winding down operations.

On Monday, the Alderney Official Gazette posted a notice indicating that Metro Play Ltd., which operated the 666Bet.com and MetroPlay.com online gambling sites, had been placed in compulsory liquidation. An Act given on July 2 by the Court of Alderney ordered Metro Play to be “compulsorily wound up.”

Metro Play Ltd. had its UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) operating license suspended in March following the arrest of 666Bet director Paul Bell as part of a £21m money laundering and VAT fraud investigation. Since then, both Metro Play sites have attempted to refund player balances, but a public statement from the company in May said it needed to raise additional capital in order to make its former players whole.

Late last month, the UKGC said a Metro Play spokesman had informed it that funds would be made available to customers who had requested withdrawals. The UKGC said the spokesman had claimed that “whilst the company that provided administration and marketing services to Metro Play and 666Bet has gone into liquidation, he was not aware of any insolvency action being taken against Metro Play.”

This week, the UKGC posted a notice acknowledging the liquidation order and indicating that Metro Play’s UKGC license “has lapsed” and thus the company is “no longer licensed to provide facilities for gambling” in the UK. The UKGC added that it “does not know whether this development will have any impact on the payment of outstanding balances to customers.”

KPMG Channel islands Ltd.’s Linda Maree Johnson and KPMG LLP’s David John Standish have been appointed joint liquidators of Metro Play. All persons having claims against Metro Play have been instructed to contact the above pair no later than August 7.

According to Standish, the liquidators’ priorities are “to secure client monies, collate and examine the company’s books and records, and determine any further lines of enquiry. We encourage creditors to register their claims with us and also provide any relevant information they have which may assist our enquiries.”

666Bet made its debut in June 2014 and immediately made a splash by signing betting partnerships with English Premier League clubs Leicester City and West Bromwich Albion. The company also hired QPR manager Harry Redknapp and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels actor Vas Blackwood as pitchmen. Last September, 666Bet acquired the Metro Play operations from UK newspaper publisher DMG Media for an undisclosed sum."

"Metro Play Limited, operator of the Metro Play and 666Bet brands, has been issued a compulsory liquidation order by the States of Alderney, ending any hope of the company resuming activities.

Alderney has appointed KPMG Channel Islands as official liquidators of the business, with all those with claims against or that are indebted to Metro Play asked to make contact with the liquidators by August 7th.
The UK Gambling Commission, which had already suspended Metro Play’s operating licence, said that it was unsure whether this this development would have any impact on the payment of outstanding balances to customers.
The liquidation of the business brings to an end the operator's short-lived hopes of becoming a leading UK operator. 666Bet had agreed several sports sponsorship agreements in the past year, including a shirt deal with Leyton Orient, betting partnerships with West Bromwich Albion and Leicester City, and replacing William Hill as sponsor of the Grand Slam of Darts.

That all collapsed following the arrest of the company’s owner Paul Bell in March, as part of an investigation into VAT and money laundering fraud unrelated to the gaming business. This saw the operator's UK and Alderney licences suspended, pending an investigation.

The Alderney Gambling Control Commission informed all Metro Play’s partners, causing all to sever links with the operator. This was cited repeatedly by the operator as a key reason behind a number of delays in returning customer funds.

The Gambling Commission, however, denied that there was any regulatory hurdle preventing Metro Play from returning player balances. This then prompted another change in tone, with Metro Play then claiming that it had been misinformed by a company with which it was working to bring its sites back online.

In April, Metro Play finally struck a deal with Skrill to process withdrawal requests, though the process did not begin until May. By June, players were experiencing difficulties obtaining their funds, essentially as there was no money left, prompting Bell to say that he would make additional funds available.

As recently as June 23rd, a spokesperson for Metro Play was claiming that he was not aware of any insolvency action being taken against the business.

As the company is being liquidated, under section 114 (2) (b) of the Gambling Act 2005, Metro Play Limited’s operating licence has lapsed, and the company is no longer licensed to provide facilities for gambling in the UK."

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back