Memorable movies as kids

same_old

Dormant account
webmeister
PABaccred
Hey All,

Over the last few weeks all you guys n gals have been posting old videos etc that you all used to watch. Well, it got me thinking about some OLD movies I used to watch as a kid and the ones that stood out for me.

There is a good 10 odd movies that really stick out for me and would love to keep the tradition going with my little boy Ben who is now 3 and a half years old.

Here are some of the movies I LOVED as a kid.

Dark Crystal
: mythical type kids movie- loved it.

Labyrinth with David Bowie: another mythical movie made for kids.

The boy who could fly:

The movie LEGEND:

Never ending story 1 and 2:

Buck Rogers: Wasn;t a movie but an Awesome TV series- loved ole buck rogers

Beat Street: a rap type old school movie- who wouldn't want to dance like that. if you got beef with someone you just rap it out.

There is plenty more that I cannot remember right now but I want to know if they any of the above really stood out for some of you.

Please post any movies you enjoyed. I know the age gap will have some different ones but would be good to see if other parts of the world had the same types etc.

Regards,

Same_old

The costumes back in those days were amazing weren't they?

I mean look at the devil costume in Legend- you can;t get better than that.

Never ending story 1 and 2:

That was a good movie. As I think back on my long life, I can't help but feel sadden. *sigh* Where did all the time go? Was it wasted? How much more is left? Is it too late to achieve my dreams in my old age? Ahh yes I've walked this earth for what feels like....well a life time. I hope that everyone here will be able to live as long as I have.
smiley-sad021.gif
My only regret is that I didn't find y'all sooner. Who knows how much time is left for me in this shell of an existence.

Bambi...:) Last movie that I saw with my Dad, before he died. I was 5, I think....I remember, how I couldn't stop crying when the forest fire happened....Can't watch it to this day. ;) But it was amazing stuff.

Elsa in Born Free! Amazing , amazing, amazing.(Did you check out the You-Tube video of 'Christian and the similar story of Elsa?)

I hold the above, plus Jungle Book ...((my bro's ..Shawn,favourite film, then he died too at age 11 in 1969.

So, sorry to be a downer..but these three films are so important to me. :):cool:

The only four movies I remember watching with my dad - Fantasia (I was scared when the brooms and mops were going all crazy, I'm afraid of housework to this day! ;)) an old sort of horror movie called Grizzly (the "JAWS" of bear movies, which was scary cause we lived in bear country) Blazing Saddles, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

lol...sort of like my relationship with my dad really, sometimes funny and sometimes terrifying.

That was a good movie. As I think back on my long life, I can't help but feel sadden. *sigh* Where did all the time go? Was it wasted? How much more is left? Is it too late to achieve my dreams in my old age? Ahh yes I've walked this earth for what feels like....well a life time. I hope that everyone here will be able to live as long as I have.
smiley-sad021.gif
My only regret is that I didn't find y'all sooner. Who knows how much time is left for me in this shell of an existence.

I'm 32 and reckon I've lived a life fit for a 40-45 year old i'm sure.
I agree with you 100% on your post though.
I feel a little better because I'm teaching my boy a lot of things and I feel I'am leaving a mark in time so to speak.

I often find myself saying " when your daddy was young I used to do this and that"

Bambi...:) Last movie that I saw with my Dad, before he died. I was 5, I think....I remember, how I couldn't stop crying when the forest fire happened....Can't watch it to this day. ;) But it was amazing stuff.

Elsa in Born Free! Amazing , amazing, amazing.(Did you check out the You-Tube video of 'Christian and the similar story of Elsa?)

I hold the above, plus Jungle Book ...((my bro's ..Shawn,favourite film, then he died too at age 11 in 1969.

So, sorry to be a downer..but these three films are so important to me. :):cool:

I can tell by your post that those movies have left a spot in your heart/memories mate and when you think back they really hit home don;t they.

Watership down was another sad one that made me cry aswell.

The costumes back in those days were amazing weren't they?

I mean look at the devil costume in Legend- you can;t get better than that.

Yeah except now you can see his horns wiggle when he runs, I wish they could go back and fix that.

Oh one that I always liked was Dragonslayer - actually some of the effects with the dragon still hold up now. The one part where the baby dragons are lunching on the princess and when the big dragon is chasing through the tunnel after the hero.

The only four movies I remember watching with my dad - Fantasia (I was scared when the brooms and mops were going all crazy, I'm afraid of housework to this day! ;)) an old sort of horror movie called Grizzly (the "JAWS" of bear movies, which was scary cause we lived in bear country) Blazing Saddles, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

lol...sort of like my relationship with my dad really, sometimes funny and sometimes terrifying.

:)

Monty Python? ...yeah, baby! I remember when the family was together before my dad and Shawn died, that we would all sit on the sofa in our jammies and watch Monty Python...on TV.

It was a special night.I loved it!

Did you guys see the original "Dr.Who" with Jon Pertwee, the original Dr, on TV, here? That was another prog we watched.

I remembered two OLD OLD Aussie movies that stood out for me.

KUJO: A movie about a rot-wheeler with Rabies and what seemed like super human strength. going around killing everyone.

RAZOR BACK: Movie about a wild pig that went around killing everyone, So underrated that movie and a little before it's time.

I also remember watching the old spaghetti-Westerns my dad used to make me watch, you knew it was beer and nuts time then.

Movies

Hi All, I loved the Goonies and Stand By me. And of course the John Huges movies. Sixteen Candles and my favorite Better off Dead. Not to mention Star Wars and Superman. They don't make movies like that anymore.

:)

Monty Python? ...yeah, baby! I remember when the family was together before my dad and Shawn died, that we would all sit on the sofa in our jammies and watch Monty Python...on TV.

It was a special night.I loved it!

Did you guys see the original "Dr.Who" with Jon Pertwee, the original Dr, on TV, here? That was another prog we watched.

I can tell that like me, your first experience with Dr. Who was by way of Saturday night public television. First Python would be on, then Who. For the record, Jon Pertwee wasn't the first Dr. He was third, but the first one US audiences got to see. Jon Pertwee started my lifelong crushes on slighly effeminate thin Englishmen (Pertwee, Patrick Stewart, Roddy McDowell, etc.).
And that brings to mind the other British programs we got to enjoy via public television when we were kids...Are You Being Served?, No Honestly, To The Manor Born, Good Neighbors, The Goodies....

As for movies I loved as a kid...Blazing Saddles is and always will be my favorite movie.
Love Grail, but Life of Brian satisfies my inner 12 year old like nothing else...

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

As for movies I loved as a kid...Blazing Saddles is and always will be my favorite movie.
Love Grail, but Life of Brian satisfies my inner 12 year old like nothing else...

LOL the Life of Brian was awesome:notworthy I love the scene when all the followers where chasing him and he turns around and tell the to *$% off. How about the scene where he gets it on with a lady and opens the windows in the morning stark naked and there are hundreds of people outside his window. That was epic!

I can tell that like me, your first experience with Dr. Who was by way of Saturday night public television. First Python would be on, then Who. For the record, Jon Pertwee wasn't the first Dr. He was third, but the first one US audiences got to see. Jon Pertwee started my lifelong crushes on slighly effeminate thin Englishmen (Pertwee, Patrick Stewart, Roddy McDowell, etc.).
And that brings to mind the other British programs we got to enjoy via public television when we were kids...Are You Being Served?, No Honestly, To The Manor Born, Good Neighbors, The Goodies....

Was it "the life of brian" where there was a scene in it where a teacher was showing his kids sex education and was actually having sex with a lady on a bed infront of the whole class.

I couldn't stop laughing.

You've all reminded me of my "the young one days aswell.

Dr Martins,Dr Martins Dr Martins boots Yeah, good ole Mr Alexia Sayle.

I remember BIG being a goodie, but the first movie I truly remember watching as a kid and loving it was Goodfellas. I snuck it into my VCR and watched it over and over when I was about 9 or 10. Ever since I could remember I wanted to be a gangster...

Neverending Story was great, I still dream of the big ass dog sometimes...:oops:

Name that film :)

Nice thread :thumbsup:

Here are some of my all time favorites.. but for a larf I'm not giving titles, just quotes. How many do you know?

In no particular order...

• 'These are not the droids you are looking for'
  • 'He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!'
  • 'I'm not even supposed to be here today!'
  • 'They mostly come at night... mostly'
  • 'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.'
  • 'Groovy!' (gimme some sugar baby)
  • 'But these dialls go to eleven'
  • 'And crawling, on the planet's face, some insects, called the human race....'
  • 'Candygram for Mongo..'
  • 'He slimed me!'
  • 'You've got red on you'
  • 'Heyyy youuu guyyysssss!'

I'm feeling old :(

-The original Parent Trap with Brian Keith, Hayley Mills and Maureen O'Hara
-Pollyanna
-Mary Poppins (this was the very first movie I saw in a movie theatre, cost of admission was 25 cents, popcorn and soda was another 25 cents. It cost my father $2.50 to take the family to the movies and then another $5.00 for lunch at the local A&W drive-in burger stand)
The original Planet of the Apes movies

My kids always enjoyed the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Gene Wilder), The Goonies, Cry Baby, Labrynth, Never Ending Story, and I'm sure there are tons more I'm forgetting :oops:

I'm 32 and reckon I've lived a life fit for a 40-45 year old i'm sure.
I agree with you 100% on your post though.
I feel a little better because I'm teaching my boy a lot of things and I feel I'am leaving a mark in time so to speak.

I often find myself saying " when your daddy was young I used to do this and that"

I can tell by your post that those movies have left a spot in your heart/memories mate and when you think back they really hit home don;t they.

Watership down was another sad one that made me cry aswell.

Thank you for mentioning "Watership Down" that one was horrible on me as a young child. I went in thinking it was going to be a happy story about cute bunnies. I still feel get pangs of sadness when I think of that movie :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back