Malaysia Airlines Plane Crushed in Ukraine!

SlotMonster

Twitch Streamer - Affiliate
webmeister
A Malaysian airliner carrying 295 people has crashed in east Ukraine on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, amid allegations it was shot down.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

About 300 died in this accident. RIP :(

a missile launched to plane direction is anything but not an accident. something is happening behind the curtain...

This is just terrible news.

I saw the family of a victim on the news and their grief was something I could not watch.

My prayers are with all of the people that perished and strength to their families.

Horrific incident, saddened.... My heart goes out to all those families who have lost their loved ones.

What's been reported so far on AUST news:

298 on the flight, including the crew (27 Australians). No survivors :(

Flight MH 17 Passenger plane shot down by Pro-Russian militia.

Plane was on route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur prior to being shot down at Russian border.

Passengers included medical experts on the way to Melbourne Aids conference.

2 other planes (non civilian) shot down in past 2 days.

I sincerely hope nobody here has lost anyone. My understanding is that the majority of passengers were from the Netherlands. The remainder were mostly from other European countries, Asia, and Australia.

Makes you appreciate what really matters

Including the innocent children killed in Gaza City beach (I'm sure there were many more, but the news footage I saw still haunts me), this is just another reminder of the unnecessary devastating senseless violence and loss of life war creates. It blows my mind that in this current day this type of violence still exists, and is the go to option to settle feuds. It is not the answer.

My prayers, thoughts and condolences go out to all the victims and their families, in particular the 27 Australians confirmed dead.

It breaks my heart to think all their families were anticipating a safe return home as usual, only for this shocking incident to happen for no reason at all. I just hope for the men, women, and especially children, that death came quickly and painlessly.

How many examples will we need before these animals decide to drop their weapons? That's disrespectful to animals, as they don't even behave in this manner.

The question should be asked as to why the plane still flew the same route despite the escalation of violence that has seen two other planes shot down. Were they over confident that the altitude alone would guarantee their safety? Clearly this was wrong, but they should not have assumed that the intelligence on what they had was 100% accurate, and thus should have considered the possibility that they had missiles that could reach altitudes of 30,000 feet or more, and played safe by flying around the conflict zone.

It makes me wonder whether the airline was deliberately taking risks and short cuts, perhaps to save money, and that a similarly poor decision also lead to the loss of the earlier plane. There was speculation that it had flown into "restricted airspace", which would mean a similar risk was taken, although no evidence that it's fate was getting shot down.

The question should be asked as to why the plane still flew the same route despite the escalation of violence that has seen two other planes shot down. Were they over confident that the altitude alone would guarantee their safety? Clearly this was wrong, but they should not have assumed that the intelligence on what they had was 100% accurate, and thus should have considered the possibility that they had missiles that could reach altitudes of 30,000 feet or more, and played safe by flying around the conflict zone.

It makes me wonder whether the airline was deliberately taking risks and short cuts, perhaps to save money, and that a similarly poor decision also lead to the loss of the earlier plane. There was speculation that it had flown into "restricted airspace", which would mean a similar risk was taken, although no evidence that it's fate was getting shot down.

Been asking myself the same questions.

Too little too late shutting down that part of airspace to civilian planes. Damage has been done, and many innocent lives have been lost.

Latest reports are pointing to it being less likely an accident and more likely a deliberate attack by pro-Russian separatists.

What has been done cannot be undone so people should now learn from this tragedy and prevent similar recurrences.

What has been done cannot be undone so people should now learn from this tragedy and prevent similar recurrences.

If only it were that simple. It seems that tragedies generate enquiries that generate lessons learned and changes to be made. Then, some time later the same thing happens again, and during the enquiry we discover that many of the recommendations from the previous one were not actually implemented for varying reasons.

This is not the first passenger plane to have been shot down after having strayed into risky airspace, and the lesson should have been learned from that, don't venture into risky airspace. It seems that instead there has been a watered down implementation, which in this case seems to have been to fly at 30,000 feet and the plane will be safe. They already knew that planes were being shot down, as two had been shot down prior to this flight. They should also realise that when seen from the ground, planes at 30,000 feet pretty much look the same, so there is no prospect of insurgents making an informed decision over the nature of the flight. For them it's a plane, they have a missile, therefore it's a target. The lesson has been learned for now, but what about the next time a conflict erupts in another part of the world that is inconveniently 30,000 feet below the standard commercial flying routes.

They should also realise that when seen from the ground, planes at 30,000 feet pretty much look the same, so there is no prospect of insurgents making an informed decision over the nature of the flight. For them it's a plane, they have a missile, therefore it's a target

The missile launched was of course used in conjunction with radar. There's very little to no chance that the pro-Russian separatists knew what type of plane they were taking down. The plane was presumed a threat, and the decision was made to eliminate it.

The takedown of 2 non civilian planes in recent days likely strengthened their presumption that the MH17 was a threat, and not a civilian plane.

Of course, there's still some conjecture floating around at these early stages of investigation.

In any case, the pro-Russian militia need to accept responsibility for their seriously detrimental actions.

The whole thing is messy...

The Russian government was allegedly quick to blame the Ukraine for the incident, probably using existing problems there as ammunition, and the fact that the shoot down was in Ukraine airspace. It's no secret why the Ukraine is having problems though, and President Putin is hardly an innocent in that respect.

Will be interesting to see if Putin will be allowed to visit Australia in the weeks ahead. Doesn't look good for him ATM.

Politics aside, man I feel devastated for all those lost souls, and their families. Absolutely tragic.

The missile launched was of course used in conjunction with radar. There's very little to no chance that the pro-Russian separatists knew what type of plane they were taking down. The plane was presumed a threat, and the decision was made to eliminate it.

The takedown of 2 non civilian planes in recent days likely strengthened their presumption that the MH17 was a threat, and not a civilian plane.

Of course, there's still some conjecture floating around at these early stages of investigation.

In any case, the pro-Russian militia need to accept responsibility for their seriously detrimental actions.

The whole thing is a messy...

The Russian government was allegedly quick to blame the Ukraine for the incident, probably using existing problems there as ammunition, and the fact that the shoot down was in Ukraine airspace. It's no secret why the Ukraine is having problems though, and President Putin is hardly an innocent in that respect.

Will be interesting to see if Putin will be allowed to visit Australia in the weeks ahead. Doesn't look good for him ATM.

Politics aside, man I feel devastated for all those lost souls, and their families. Absolutely tragic.

Which is WHY commercial flights over that area should already have been suspended. Why lose one plane when none could have been lost. Were other airlines also still flying over the area, or had they heeded the signs and already diverted from their usual flight paths?

Which is WHY commercial flights over that area should already have been suspended. Why lose one plane when none could have been lost. Were other airlines also still flying over the area, or had they heeded the signs and already diverted from their usual flight paths?

Agreed.

Early reports are that most airlines were navigating around that region due to the conflict, however it was not classed as a restricted flight zone, and airlines were assured by the relevant governments that it was still a safe commercial fly zone and posed no risk to civilian flights.

The main reason Malaysian airlines did not follow other airlines and err on the side of caution is due to that particular region being in the heart of a direct route between Netherlands and Kuala Lumpur. In other words, they wanted to save costs and the relevant governments gave them no reason not to take the risk. There's more parties to blame here than just the trigger man. A great case of negligence by many, and the innocent always pay. It makes you so angry, yet more violence will only beget more violence.

What was reported here in the US was the missile launcher used today has a range of 72,000 feet. A commercial aircraft cruising at 30,000 feet was a sitting duck. Knowing that 2 planes were shot down in the past two days in the same area, one wonders why the flight plan for MH17 was not adjusted to consider the risk to human life. There's that annoying 20/20 hindsight ........

Does seem odd to fly a civilian plane over what is effectively a warzone.

As for Putin, only last week he was sticking his nose into the Falklands argument, siding with De Kirchner (obviously only because we and the USA were for putting sanctions on Russia after their recent land grab).

He should get his own house in order before spouting off about other countries issues.

RIP to the 295.

Those were my thoughts too. I'd expect that airline security officers would investigate each and every flight route for possible risks and avoid war zones at all times.

Those were my thoughts too. I'd expect that airline security officers would investigate each and every flight route for possible risks and avoid war zones at all times.

Yep, as previously stated by forum members directly and indirectly, it appears that more than one group is at fault here :mad:

Early reports are that most airlines were navigating around that region due to the conflict, however it was not classed as a restricted flight zone, and airlines were assured by the relevant governments that it was still a safe commercial fly zone and posed no risk to civilian flights.

The main reason Malaysian airlines did not follow other airlines and err on the side of caution is due to that particular region being in the heart of a direct route between Netherlands and Kuala Lumpur. In other words, they wanted to save costs and the relevant governments gave them no reason not to take the risk. There's more parties to blame here than just the trigger man. A great case of negligence by many, and the innocent always pay. It makes you so angry, yet more violence will only beget more violence.

Well, their cost saving may have guaranteed a crippling loss of faith in the airline given that they have lost TWO planes in the first half of this year, and both in rather odd circumstances to be classed as mere "unfortunate accidents".

Those who are in charge of making formal declarations of danger zones should be more forthcoming, rather than dithering about the possible political consequences of officially calling another countries ability to guarantee the safety of commercial aircraft into question.

We have this problem with holidays, where people know damn well where they have booked is too dangerous, but because the government won't officially advise people to avoid travelling there, the holiday companies screw the cautious holidaymaker by denying them refunds or alternatives, and insurers refuse to pay out cancellation cover, all because the "bleedin' obvious" has not actually been said by an official from the foreign office.

I bet anyone who asked for a refund for that flight because it had not been rerouted would have been told "No, it's not officially been declared unsafe, you fly, or you lose your money".

What was reported here in the US was the missile launcher used today has a range of 72,000 feet. A commercial aircraft cruising at 30,000 feet was a sitting duck. Knowing that 2 planes were shot down in the past two days in the same area, one wonders why the flight plan for MH17 was not adjusted to consider the risk to human life. There's that annoying 20/20 hindsight ........

You got to remember that the planes that were shot down earlier, was shot down closer to the ground and probably had other radar and radio profiles than a big commercial jet. And eventhough it is a warzone, the only ones who have anything to attack up in the skies is the pretty bad equipped rebels. Of course now we now they probably have gotten their hands on a real SAM-system, and not just the hand held ones that never would have been capable of taking down a big jet at 33 000 ft.

But I guess that it will be some new rules now, just sad it is to late for those 295 souls. May they rest in peace.

This is so sad and my heart goes out to all the families. I just cant believe that 2 Malaysian airplanes have been hit over the last months. And with the first one, you just dont hear anything anymore. It really makes me wonder.. and as someone posted earlier, there is definitely more going on behind the curtain.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and the unrest that is currently going on at the moment. I just wish to not watch the evening news anymore.

Regards,
Rebecca

I am from the Netherlands and about 180 dutch people were killed.
It is massive news in the Netherlands.
What brings it very close is that one of the people who died in the crash actually worked at the same company as I work at. Also a few other employees have family members who died in the crash.:(

Terrible, so sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back