London Borough adopts new Gambling Policy

Meanwhile they do diddly squat about the loot box mechanic, that greedy software firms have added to video gaming, which is a type of random prize gamble. Not that the london boroughs could do much about EA or blizzard etc..but the govt probably could.

from the bbc:

Last week we told the story of the family whose children emptied their parents' bank account buying players in the video game Fifa.

It generated a big debate about whether parental controls are sufficient, how much responsibility lies with mum and dad - and the ethics of encouraging young players to spend money within games and apps.

Following the BBC's report, deputy Labour leader Tom Watson tweeted calling for "tighter regulation" in gaming, saying there were "considerable fears that gaming is a gateway to gambling".

[Good old Tom :rolleyes: always lurking around these topics, he seems to forget it was the labour govt in power when out of control gambling took off big time, fobt's etc.. ]

"...I have a 22 year-old disabled son, who has cerebral palsy, complex epilepsy, autism, learning difficulties and the approximate cognitive ability of a seven-year-old child.

He is unable to do any bilateral activities so relies heavily on his iPad and PlayStation for entertainment and educational activities.

He has recently been playing a game on his iPad called Hidden Artifacts which involves finding various items and matching them to the description.

He has been charged £3160.58 between 18 February and 30 May 2019, clearing out his entire savings.

I contacted iTunes, who were extremely helpful but were unable to refund the amount and suggested I contact Blastworks Ltd, the app developer and game provider. [Under European rules, Apple users in the EU can request to cancel an order within 14 days of purchase].

I have phoned and emailed several times but have had no response.

It is extremely distressing that vulnerable people, such as my son, become victims of what is thought to be an educational game.

I have tried tirelessly to recoup his life savings but constantly come up against a brick wall.

My 16-year-old son spent nearly £2,000 of my money on EA's NBA basketball game.

He used my bank card and I didn't realise until I had a payment declined.

He accessed the app via Google Play.

EA made no response to me and Google Play has a disclaimer about kids using parents' bank details without permission.

My daughter had to use her university savings to pay the bill for this and it has caused huge damage to our family.

----------

bloody hell the article lays out at least another 5 examples, it must be causing a nightmare for parents and these children. It's from july this year as well, anyone notice the govt tackling this yet?

Last edited:
Let’s stop the kids gambling yay didn’t we do well.
Don’t worry about them getting stabbed to death however in a chicken shop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back