Local wins Irish Poker Champs

jetset

RIP Brian
NEIGHBOURHOOD VICTORY

Irish player takes Party Poker's first Irish Poker Championship

A 28 year old Irishman studying for his doctorate in biochemistry didn't have far to travel to compete for the Party Poker Irish Poker Championship in Galway this week - he lives in Claregalway only 10 miles from the venue.

For Irishman Jude Ainsworth it was well worth the trip, for he won the championship against some of the best players around to reel in a Euro 180 000 winner's purse.

Having survived an entry field of 298 players including the likes of Mike Sexton, Marcel Luske, Ciaran O'Leary and Robert Williamson III, Ainsworth continued his victorious march to end in a heads up against aptly named Michael McCool at the final table. In the end Ainsworth was all-in with 10-8 against McCool's pocket fives. The flop went A-J-9 and Ainsworth picked up a straight draw. The Q fell on the turn and it was Ainsworth's day...and tournament.

"It doesn't get much better than this," said a delighted Ainsworth in celebratory mood. "To say that we are going to sink a few pints is an understatement! I couldn't ask for much more than this, I've had great support all the way through. I was planning taking a break after my Phd at GNUIG in Galway. This makes everything a lot easier!"

Ainsworth is married and has a child, but his wife will only join the celebration later - she's in Hong Kong on business: "My wife is in Hong Kong at the moment, she works for the local toy business," he said. "She'll be delighted! I definitely plan to take us on holiday but I am also looking at playing in a few more tournaments and perhaps the WSOP in Vegas in the summer."

McCool, who frequently can be seen in UK tournaments, congratulated Ainsworth, saying he respected the Irish player who was one of the few players he hadn't wanted to face in heads-up play.

Coverage of the event is being recorded for broadcast on RT, Ireland's national broadcaster, and will be distributed internationally after first being broadcast in early February. Leading the commentary is Jesse May along with Padraig Parkinson, Ciaran O'Leary and Fintan Gavin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back