Linux

ternur

Sky void of stars
CAG
mm3
Do we have any Linux users?

I'm fed up with winblows and wouldn't touch apple even if it's the last option on the planet. There's even a Ghosʇ OS around, but I'll probably stick with Linux. :)

So I'm planning to install a new distro, thinking of either Deepin or Ubuntu Budgie. I've used the regular Ubuntu, Mint and Red Hat before, but one of those two seem really interesting.

Anyone used Deepin/Budgie or have another suggestion?

Im not the biggest linux user I must admit so I don't have too much opinion on things Linux! But a few months ago, i wiped my laptops install of windows which was appallingly slow and poor - even after lots of cleanup and resetting windows.

I tried a few but ended up going with Zorin which I've had no problems with personally and my laptops 10 times speedier than it used to be with windows! Played some spins on various games, some battles on Vs, and generally not had a problem from my (probably somewhat limited) experience of Linux with Zorin.

Good luck anyhow with it! :)

Thanks @spoo42 :thumbsup:

I'll add Zorin to my list. Will probably install more than one distro anyway since W7 is soon to be EOS and I really hate W10 (that's not really an OS anymore, just a subscription service and a poor one imo).

There is nothing wrong with Deepin or Budgie, but i prefer Chalbit myself.
It gives you about the same speed as the other two, but the zolk-zone is almost twice as big.
The zolk-zone combined with the voxrom makes the choice easy for me.
Now it if could only find a way to install paint3d, as it is the superior tool for all artists.

There is nothing wrong with Deepin or Budgie, but i prefer Chalbit myself.
It gives you about the same speed as the other two, but the zolk-zone is almost twice as big.
The zolk-zone combined with the voxrom makes the choice easy for me.
Now it if could only find a way to install paint3d, as it is the superior tool for all artists.

Use paint.net Kroffe. Beats paint3d hands down. It's for the true artists. ;) And the true open source warriors naturally prefer Gimp. Microsoft bad.

Use paint.net Kroffe. Beats paint3d hands down. It's for the true artists. ;) And the true open source warriors naturally prefer Gimp. Microsoft bad.

"Bad" is a very big part of my art, so i embrace windows10 with all its flaws.
And im not trying to kinkshame or anything like that, but the whole gimp-thing is a bit to extreme for me.
:p

I'm fed up with winblows and wouldn't touch apple even if it's the last option on the planet. There's even a Ghosʇ OS around, but I'll probably stick with Linux. :)

So I'm planning to install a new distro, thinking of either Deepin or Ubuntu Budgie. I've used the regular Ubuntu, Mint and Red Hat before, but one of those two seem really interesting.

Update to myself so I don't let this one slide.

Installed Ubuntu Budgie on a very old laptop. I chose to leave W7 so have this setup on dual boot. Works well and I do like Budgie.

Next one will be Deepin I think. I'm thinking of ditching W10 entirely on that machine and making a fresh install.

@spoo42 's recommendation Zorin is going to be the third testbed. :)

Are these official versions (distros?) of linux, or are they made by the community?
What are some advantages using linux compared to say win10?
They use alot of open source programs right?

Linux is based on open source and is mostly community developed, although there are commercial distros as well. There are a lot of different distros. A lot. This is the beauty of open source operating systems. You can choose the one you like.

One of the main reasons to go with Linux (for me at least) is security and privacy. Linux is an operating system and not a subsriction service like W10. It behaves like an OS should (compared to Windows which operates like MS wants). You control the OS, not the supplier of the software.

Updates and errors are usually fixed faster than in commercial, proprietary systems.

When you use W10, you are not in control of your PC. MS is. You don't own the software, you use a service from MS. The free upgrade to W10 was a move from MS to introduce an illusory "free" service like the ones from Google, Facebook and so on. They are not free, you pay with your privacy.

It really comes down to individual needs when choosing to use Linux instead of something else. Some applications are only available for Windows for example. I don't have those restrictions.

I used to dabble with a linux machine, using Gnome as the GUI. But now, macOS all the way. As for windows, yuck!

I used to administer Linux back in the day and personally ran SUSE (More for training on Enterprise Server) and Fedora distribution as local machine. i think I messed around with Ubuntu as well then. I always wanted to run RHEL - but the paid version to practice for IBM exam, but who wants to pay right? but instead certified for AIX, I am talking more than 10 years ago.

Slowly moved away from it and use Windows a bit and Mac... Windows is still a swear word in my house,so either speak about Linux, Mac or AIX platforms. I guess since we work in IT (me and wife).

I am getting back into Linux now again, so doing some self studying as I want to do some Webshere, TSM, Some other Tivoli brands and APM. Tired of doing systems engineering now from Microsoft Perspective.

My opinion - Windows more user friendly from an individual perspective, but Linux more stable from a Server perspective.
I am sure all online operators server run either on Linux or AIX platform. or open source for that matter.

Still do not know why some are running Main Frame. Guess the ones who has lagging slots ;-) hahaha

Late to the party here but I thought I'd chip in a bit nevertheless. I used Unix at Uni and I think that set my baseline for expectations when it came to my day-to-day OS: powerful, deeply user configurable, stable, and secure.

So yeah, ours is a Linux only household, has been since WinXP came to its end-of-life death-throws. Like others mentioned Windo$ is pretty much a foul word here.

Not that we haven't had our fair share of occasions to cuss at Linux but overall it's proven the better choice for us. That's especially true for me because it's my job to maintain our household computers. Doing that with Windows was an endless PITA and from what I've seen and heard that's become even more the case over the years not less.

IMO Windows is a broken model for a PC OS. It's like renting a dodgy property from a crappy landlord: eventually you realize you just have to get out and find a better life elsewhere. I wouldn't touch an Apple with a barge-pole -- like renting again except now it's a fully furnished luxury property with a half-decent landlord except you can't do **anything** to the property and they get to change whatever they like whenever it suits them -- so that left us with Linux in one form or another.

Over the years I've done some pretty extensive distro hopping and eventually settled on Mint. I'm no Linux guru so I need to use something with a large and active user base that I can turn to to get problems ironed out in reasonable time. For work I need something that evolves conservatively and has long term stability as a primary goal. There are a few Linux distros that fit that bill and Mint happens to be the one that I feel most comfortable with.

As to desktop environments I ended up liking KDE best, was gutted when Mint dropped it as one of their supported options. These days I'm using Cinnamon and am not unhappy with it. It's stable and has a decent set of features so for me (for now) it does the job. I still give one of the KDE distros a spin every now and then to see what's happening with Plasma and I do aspire to getting back to that environment some day. But for now Mint + Cinnamon is a fair compromise.

I often get a bit of stick from hardcore Linux people that I've ended up choosing the Linux distro + DE that is probably one of the closest in terms of look-and-feel to Win. That may be true but IMO it's missing the point: it was never the look-and-feel of Win that was the problem for me, I was perfectly happy with it. What killed it for me was the fact that one way or the other it was always pay-pay-pay with Win for the pleasure of a buggy, bloated, poorly supported security nightmare. If I've ended up choosing something more-or-less like WinXP that has better security, isn't a pig when it comes to performance and resource-hogging, evolves rationally and that I can control, modify, upgrade and maintain if and when I want then that is just fine by me. The fact that it's free is a bonus.

Last edited:
Have used Linux since 199X or something, never been hardcore user, but got quite familiar with it, very fast and handy if willing to learn just very basics from Unix and even without these days seem to be loads of these very ready customized distros where installations are not any more complicated than using Windows.

Been stuck to Debian, just because been using that since beginning, haven't have any need to change to any other even there are many Debian based distros there as well, happy with this and can customize and take any packages there and there to make it very personalized like these maybe are meant to be that you only take and install what you use and need and that's it, compare to Windows where you install loads of things which you never use and just stealing resources from your computer running so much things on backround (not really problem these days but 20 years ago processors and amount of RAM were bit different and optimizing everything was bit bigger thing).

Now it's very easy to install and give a try, these most common distros are so well documented that help is easy to find. Then if like to "play" with computers, you very fast learn lot how to do things and then can make some funny configurations to your own use and with Linux it's possible to make "creative" solutions as you can make almost every tools work with it but that sometimes needs bit more learning but some weird people like me like start new nonsense challenges to build something and once it's ready, do something more.....

Late to the party here but I thought I'd chip in a bit nevertheless. I used Unix at Uni and I think that set my baseline for expectations when it came to my day-to-day OS: powerful, deeply user configurable, stable, and secure.
[...]

This.

I kinda miss those days. When you had to physically go to the university computer department to get a Unix ID so you could use the university network. My forum username is the old Unix ID I used. Newsgroups and a wonderful invention called email (Pine) paved the way for a graphical internet for me. When Netscape Navigator came out, it was fantastic. :)

I've used Linux on the side for years mainly for the reason others have posted in this thread. But I've always had window$ too. I do think Windows 7 is a decent OS, but I'll probably go all in with Linux by the end of the year.

Had one setup with Mint/Cinnamon earlier, but the hardware gave up. I did like it though. I'll probably install it again some day. But I really want to test Deepin, so that'll be the next install.

Shortly after I got my 1st PC, which ran Win 95, I was introduced to UNIX at work. They had a DRS6000 at each of their sites linked together running ICL's flavour of UNIX, Uniplex, Oracle & some bespoke apps at client level on dumb terminals. This is where I got my 1st taste of UNIX. I also worked with UNIX again in a later job, that time with Sun's Solaris flavour.

Dipped in & out of Linux over the past years currently running a dual boot Win 10/Linux Mint setup & Ubuntu Server on a web server.
From experience UNIX is generally rock solid as far as reliability goes & generally faster when compared to Windows. Additionally it generally doesn't need to be rebooted with updates either & takes care of them on the fly without a massive dip in performance. It's also not in a general state of flux like Windows 10 with updates coming out of it's ear 'oles.
I did run Win 10 at home exclusively but recently began to get sick of the swath of major updates dominating resources & the continuous reboots that follow so set up my dual boot of Win 10 & Linux Mint & I generally will use Linux Mint unless I absolutely have to use Win 10 for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back