Likened to...

BETAT

Dormant account
Sometimes your brain just doesn't turn off after work, and this is what ran through my mind as I tried to sleep last night -

I was thinking of all the various historic figures and pop culture personalities (tv/film/cartoon/actors and characters) that have become so seeped into the public consciousness that certain actions that are attiributed to them are then likened to people when they duplicate them.
Some have become verbs, nouns and adjectives themselves, such as Machiavellian, a Romeo/Don Juan/Casanova and a Jezebel. Other times you just draw the reference to drive a point home. Here's just a couple of the examples that came to mind, that I either grew up with, or heard my mother/family/friends say.

Putting on airs Ex: Who does she think she is, the Queen of Sheba?

Doing something quickly (like drive, work etc) Ex: Whoa, slow down there Mario Andretti.

...and even to reference the opposite of the character -

Stating the obvious Ex: No $h!t, Sherlock!

Being (un)charitable Ex: What do I look like, Mother Teresa?

I'm curious and thought it would be fun to read what others you've come across, use yourself, or any ones that are fairly new so feel free to add. :) Might be interesting to see what likenings there are across the world.

The only ones I can think of are when people say someone's "pulling off a *name*" or "pulling a *name*" when they do something (usually bad) that some celebrity does or did. Like this:

Pulling off an OJ = Murdering your wife and getting away with it.
"If she doesn't get off my back I'll be pulling off an OJ" Also interestingly used in at least ONE rap song. :rolleyes:

Pulling a Miley = Being sleazy and embarassing.
"OMG did you see her totally pulling a Miley, what a ****ing ****"

Pulling an Elvis = ODing in your bathroom.
"My roommate was popping pills and drinking all night, I was afraid he was going to pull an Elvis"

I can think of a few comics references. Brainiac is probably the most famous for someone being quite smart (from Superman).
I've heard a friend or two reference something to the effect of 'Oh man, he's gonna go Hulk on his ass' to refer to an imminent pummelling.
And over or under performing, probably things like 'Well, you aren't Superman'.

@chayton - pulling a Homer would be another. (to succeed despite stupidity/idiocy.

Et Tu Brutus ( Even your best friend is against you on something)
Benedict Arnold ( snitch, traitor)
Doing A Milli Vanilli (lip Syncing)

and of course Tebowing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back