Lawsuit Filed Over Asset Forfeitures (Texas)

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
I haven't had time to double check this, but if true... this is the kind of thing that makes me so mad I could spit.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Posted on: March 19, 2009 9:09 AM, by Ed Brayton

A few weeks ago I wrote about the tiny town of Tenaha, Texas, where they've been stopping motorists like crazy and seizing cash and property with very few being charged with any crime. A class action suit has now been filed over it.

You can drive into this dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana border if you're African-American, but you might not be able to drive out of it--at least not with your car, your cash, your jewelry or other valuables.
That's because the police here allegedly have found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: voluntarily sign over your belongings to the town, or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

The scam here is breathtaking:

More than 140 people reluctantly accepted that deal from ...

Wow this is one town that should be taken off the ()*!@#$!@ map. Why? The whole damn city is corrupt...you know the mayor and other officials were in on it, of course....

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back