I watch entirely too many cop shows

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
I really feel lost when football season has ended. (I hate basketball and hockey) I don't get to watch a lot of prime time TV as I go to bed early (I'm up and having coffee by 4 or 5 a.m.) and do well to keep my eyes open past 8 p.m.

I've never watched the typical 'girly' TV - cooking shows, talk shows, soaps, etc. and hate sitcoms, so I was happy when I found the cops shows rerunning afternoons and early evening on various channels... NCIS, CSI, Castle, Law & Order, Bones, Criminal Minds, and all their kith and kin, like L&O: Criminal Intent, etc.

The problem is, now that I've seen so many of them, I keep seeing the same character actors pop up on these different shows, in one show as the victim, another show they may be the murderer, or in yet another show as simply a family member or co-worker of the victim. For instance, the recent police captain (now a regular) in Castle was a murder suspect as the head of an evil recycling company in Bones (I think it was). A lunatic serial killer on Criminal Minds one episode was a poor pitiful crying wife of the victim in an episode of NCIS, etc., etc., etc. And sometimes on the same show(as the shows have been on for several years) the actor may have been a suspect in one episode, then pop up as a killer in another later episode - all unrelated to the previous episode. I'll think, 's/he did it!... no.... wait... that was on Castle, not Bones'.

I find this is very distracting - and irritating.

I've seen the Ancient Aliens a dozen times over -- I love the exotic and mysterious places and artifacts they examine (ignoring the a+b+g=ALIENS! logic presented). Wonder if there's such a thing as a world tour of these sites?

I'll be soooo happy when baseball season begins - even though the Atlanta Braves are really going to be lousy this year. :p

/end whine

well too many cop shows but where is the best? THE SHIELD is underrated but very well made, getting better to flawless with each season, lovely plot twists, suffocating suspense, one of the best finale etc mark my words, the best cop drama ever made. watch it then confirm :thumbsup:

well too many cop shows but where is the best? THE SHIELD is underrated but very well made, getting better to flawless with each season, lovely plot twists, suffocating suspense, one of the best finale etc mark my words, the best cop drama ever made. watch it then confirm :thumbsup:

I have not watched the Sheild and have not seen it in reruns. If it is on HBO or Showtime, I don't have pay/premium channels.

A friend of mine recommended Blue Bloods, but (as much as I love Tom Selleck) there's too much time spent on personal, behind the scenes explorations of the characters. I like the cop/mystery/murder aspect, and could care less that the hero's brother was a slacker, or gay, or drunkard - except as it relates to the case at hand - one reason I loved Law & Order when it first appeared oh so many years ago.

I can't bear to watch Rizzoli & Isles (is that right?) because the show spends way too much time on personal stuff - and family - of the main characters, not the case. A friend has assured me that the books are a gazillion times better. I'll have to delve into those one cold winter afternoon.

I suppose what I am drawn to are what would be considered 'procedurals' in the book world.

The Shield is based on a team of corrupt cops. show is split in two, allowing room for procedural cop jobs and adventures of dirty team but are related to each other. it takes some seasons until is all about this team and the mess they create, but only then the sgow touch its spear peak. watched it 1 year ago and all i remember is easy to be described in 1 word: magnitude
and if anyone recommends you The Mentalist, which is full of procedural schemes and logic/mentalism, avoid! worst reveal of all time after building suspense for several seeasons, and not only my opinion but 90% of the audience. waste of time and criminals give up too easy or ar too stupid to be criminals to start with.

I love cop shows, mysteries and lawyers.

There is such a thing still as Video recording :p. And it is better digitally. I record EVERYTHING and fast forward through all the commercials.

Libraries now are lending things digitally. I am currently hooked on Inspector Morse, something I missed first go round.

I am happy with many of the "scripted" shows for the main reason ...... the are NOT "reality/competition" YEAH!

Scrolling through the evening line up on the tv is disgustingly loaded with that crap.

My favs:

Dramas
________

Blacklist
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
Major Crime
Bones
How To Get Away With Murder (though some scenes a bit graphic)
Castle
Rizzoli & Isles
House
All CSI and Law & Order re-runs.

Comedies
_________

Mike & Molly
Mom
The Big Bang Theory

I am sure there are more.

The main problem is the re-runs.

I would love to know WHY the networks show the same re-runs over and over and over again. Knowing any given show had so very many episodes....... WHY?

Anyway, I could go on and on...... especially about "reality/competition" crap..

I even did a blog here at CM a few years ago about them. I had broken my leg and was pretty much stuck on the sofa for a while.

Started keeping track of just how many there were. I think I stopped at 348 different "reality/competition" shows. I'm afraid to know how many there are now.

Aliens plus Intrigue

You'd like that show Grimm, then. I watched a bit last night - amazing effects that would've cost tons in the 1980s-1990s plus quite impressive acting in a mystery context. I couldn't stay on it, for myself, because I have to limit my exposures to severeness :axeman2:(health issue..even this little icon is a bit much for me but I'm trying to be 'brave':clap:) but with the taste that you described you would totally love :D that show. 2cents, anyways.:cool:

Lately I've been watching more non-US cop/detective shows - I get a little tired of the same-ness of the Hollywood stuff. If you have a library near you, see if you can get 'Case Histories' with Jason Isaacs or the 'Prime Suspect' series starring Helen Mirren. 'Dalziel and Pascoe' are good (if you like the books) or if you want something kinda funny, try 'Dirk Gently'.

I found a nice Canadian series which I enjoy. I have direcTV and have found the series airing on Ovation channel. The series was called Murdoch Mysteries on British and Canadian TV I think. On Ovation they call it Artful Detective. The character is based on books by Maureen Jennings. The episodes often have appearances by characters playing Thomas Edison, or Alexander Graham Bell, or Sir Arthur Conan Doyal, etc. A bit of a break from the usual US TV cops.

Oh and yes... I despise the fake 'reality' television which abounds. **shudder** I avoid at all cost. Care not one bit what or who the Kardasians are doing (who the hell are they anyway??... never mind, I don't care).

Oh... and I did try a few episodes of The Mentalist. One of those series that had potential, but deteriorated quickly into the usual, predictable milktoast (yawners) TV.

Criminal minds is among my favourites too!

I am mildly addicted to the CI-channel, watching dramatised documentaries like Most Evil, Born to be Evil, Deadly Women, etc. I particularly enjoy watching profiles and "analysis" of serial killers. :D

I suppose what I am drawn to are what would be considered 'procedurals' in the book world.

For me, the ultimate procedural cop show is The Wire. I could rave about it extensively but there are much more eloquent reviews all over the Internet.

Written by a former police reporter and based on the experiences of an actual homicide detective in Baltimore... It cannot get much better than that IMO :).

I am happy with many of the "scripted" shows for the main reason ...... the are NOT "reality/competition" YEAH!

Scrolling through the evening line up on the tv is disgustingly loaded with that crap.

My favs:

Dramas
________

Blacklist
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
Major Crime
Bones
How To Get Away With Murder (though some scenes a bit graphic)
Castle
Rizzoli & Isles
House
All CSI and Law & Order re-runs.

Comedies
_________

Mike & Molly
Mom
The Big Bang Theory

I am sure there are more.

The main problem is the re-runs.

I would love to know WHY the networks show the same re-runs over and over and over again. Knowing any given show had so very many episodes....... WHY?

Anyway, I could go on and on...... especially about "reality/competition" crap..

I even did a blog here at CM a few years ago about them. I had broken my leg and was pretty much stuck on the sofa for a while.

Started keeping track of just how many there were. I think I stopped at 348 different "reality/competition" shows. I'm afraid to know how many there are now.

The blacklist is excellent, How To Get Away With Murder is also excellent. Castle is good but can be a bit corny. I like Major Crimes to. Grimm is really good and I think Gotham is excellent as well. I'll watch the Ted Danson CSI one and the one that was in Miami. The mentalist is good, stalker and forever both good. Elementary is good.

I only watch them on vod and not when they air.

I love 'Stalker'.:)

I love Criminal Minds but I find myself laughing at the size of the gun on (sorry, forgot his name) the genius FBI guy's hip!...you know the skinny guy?. And the Italian older guy, who imo, is a terrible actor....but I love the plot.

:D

OMG!

Just watched the most recent episode of "How To Get Away With Murder"......

Wow, just wow!

Viola Davis is fantastic! She deserves an Oscar for her role in this show!

If you haven't watched this show, and you love cop dramas, you will love this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back