Horse Racing & Tips Thread

2.40D Good race this, I'm going for Portstorm, 40/1 4 Places. Think his front running tactics will see him possibly hold on for at least a place, at a big price. Also like Took the Lot here at 50/1, but think he might not stay and fade in the last couple of f. Fern Hill is the other I looked at for this race.

1.30D Shishkin clearly should win this without breaking sweat, but I think Est Illic might have a chance of getting second. 100/1 is ridiculously high, I would have thought around 25/1 would have been the correct price so happy to have a couple of £ EW on it at that price. Be very surprised if it's not shorter at the off and being able to lay some back off. It's also currently 28/1 for a top 2 finish at Boylesports which I would defo have a couple of £ on if I used them.

Another couple I looked at and will stick with those above for a lucky 15.

3.15 The Butcher Said 20/1 5 places

2.35K By Jove 9/1 4 places

Good luck today
Couldnt resist going on to Boylesports and having a couple of quid on Est Illic @ 40-1 betting w/o Shishkin.
Really looking forward to seeing Shishkin today, I thought he was exceptional in his last race, was so impressed by his jumping.

Harchibald and Paul Carberry were a match made in heaven. The horse had to be kidded in to the race, he only ever raced on the bridle and when he was let down he never found a thing, but he had such a great cruising speed.
Paul Carberry was the perfect jockey for him, he used to just creep along in a race, very much in the same mould as Ruby Walsh, and he always seemed to have his horse in the right place at the right time. He seemed to get a lot of injuries and was very unlucky in that respect.
Harchibald was pure class, just a pity he couldnt get up the hill at Cheltenham, but he still won over half a million quid in prize money, and a bad horse doesnt do that.
Here's an old one of how good the pair were together.

God that takes me back.

First thing to note is the crowd. It makes the day sometimes, everyone was into the finish. Secondly harchibalds ability on a flatter track is clear to see here.
Lastly Paul Carberry was known around ireland as a fantastic racing jockey in terms of judging pace and his own horses ability he always looked after the horse too. Real racing brain(similar to how you would say Luka Modric had a footballers brain for example).
His book is an excellent read as he talks about beating Alcoholism and how everyone in racing got behind him JP McManus bet him 50k he couldn't stay off the booze or something similar and was only too happy to pay up as it meant Carberry was behaving himself.
Between that the injuries and getting arrested for setting Timmy Murphys newspaper on fire on board a flight(I shit you not) he had a lot of issues.
But just read who wrote the foreword in his book Walsh,Russel, Geraghty and Meade. Cant ask for more recommendation than that.

Lol sorry for rambling on. The book is def worth a read though.

I missed years of racing due to working too much as well as other priorities so Harchibald passed me by. Its only in recent years after working a lot at racecourses that I got back into it
Even if you havent followed it in years, its always in your blood, and I am sure if you flick through you tube you will have a lot of memories revived.
The reason I love jump racing more than flat is that you can follow the same horses for years, take Tiger Roll for example, been on the go since winning a three year old hurdle, has won a load of races at Cheltenham, 2 Grand Nationals, and whether you back him or not, you see a horse who gives it all.
On the flat the good ones are gone in the blink of an eye, with the occasional exception.
Nothing better than watching the old races, nothing better than reminiscing over the good days and not so good days, that what could have beens.

God that takes me back.

First thing to note is the crowd. It makes the day sometimes, everyone was into the finish. Secondly harchibalds ability on a flatter track is clear to see here.
Lastly Paul Carberry was known around ireland as a fantastic racing jockey in terms of judging pace and his own horses ability he always looked after the horse too. Real racing brain(similar to how you would say Luka Modric had a footballers brain for example).
His book is an excellent read as he talks about beating Alcoholism and how everyone in racing got behind him JP McManus bet him 50k he couldn't stay off the booze or something similar and was only too happy to pay up as it meant Carberry was behaving himself.
Between that the injuries and getting arrested for setting Timmy Murphys newspaper on fire on board a flight(I shit you not) he had a lot of issues.
But just read who wrote the foreword in his book Walsh,Russel, Geraghty and Meade. Cant ask for more recommendation than that.

Lol sorry for rambling on. The book is def worth a read though.
Havent read his book but definitely will. I have heard a few of the story's, and I know he was never far away from a drink, but he never let that diminish his skills, and boy he was such an artist in the saddle.
You knew when you backed a horse he was on you would have someone who would get the best out of the horse on your side.
He was always one of my favourites, my top 3 would have been him, Declan Murphy and Ruby Walsh, was never a great fan of McCoy as I couldnt get him on a winner but the stats speak for themselves, he was undoubtedly the best.

2.40D Good race this, I'm going for Portstorm, 40/1 4 Places. Think his front running tactics will see him possibly hold on for at least a place, at a big price. Also like Took the Lot here at 50/1, but think he might not stay and fade in the last couple of f. Fern Hill is the other I looked at for this race.

1.30D Shishkin clearly should win this without breaking sweat, but I think Est Illic might have a chance of getting second. 100/1 is ridiculously high, I would have thought around 25/1 would have been the correct price so happy to have a couple of £ EW on it at that price. Be very surprised if it's not shorter at the off and being able to lay some back off. It's also currently 28/1 for a top 2 finish at Boylesports which I would defo have a couple of £ on if I used them.

Another couple I looked at and will stick with those above for a lucky 15.

3.15 The Butcher Said 20/1 5 places

2.35K By Jove 9/1 4 places

Good luck today
of course theres a non runner in the 1.30 :(
Done a fiver on it W/O the fav, got 16's

Even if you havent followed it in years, its always in your blood, and I am sure if you flick through you tube you will have a lot of memories revived.
The reason I love jump racing more than flat is that you can follow the same horses for years, take Tiger Roll for example, been on the go since winning a three year old hurdle, has won a load of races at Cheltenham, 2 Grand Nationals, and whether you back him or not, you see a horse who gives it all.
On the flat the good ones are gone in the blink of an eye, with the occasional exception.
Nothing better than watching the old races, nothing better than reminiscing over the good days and not so good days, that what could have beens.
Yeah I love jump racing for the same reason. Plus I find it is generally easier to discount many of the runners. Back in the day I used to marvel at how many winners Martin Pipe produced for so many years. I wonder if their is a record for fielding the most odds on winners in a season? I remember hearing grumblings that his training methods where a bit harsh on the horses but I don't thing they where proven.

With racing decimated again today I am thankful that the Irish racings still on

Lucky 31 (x62) Each Way

11. Mr Incredible
15/8
31st Jan NAAS 14:15 2M 3F HURDLE 2m 3f - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 3 Places
11. Shakeytry
13/2
31st Jan NAAS 14:45 1M 7 1/2F HCAP HURDLE 1m 7f 151yds - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 5 Places
5. Eurobot
9/1
31st Jan NAAS 15:15 3M 1F CHASE 3m 170yds - Each Way
3. Notice To Close
5/1
31st Jan NAAS 15:45 2M 4 1/2F HCAP CHASE 2m 4f 90yds - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 4 Places
16. Staker Wallace 15/2
31st Jan NAAS 16:15 3M 1F CHASE 3m 170yds - Each Way
16:15 Today
Best odds

Good luck all if your having a punt

Yeah I love jump racing for the same reason. Plus I find it is generally easier to discount many of the runners. Back in the day I used to marvel at how many winners Martin Pipe produced for so many years. I wonder if their is a record for fielding the most odds on winners in a season? I remember hearing grumblings that his training methods where a bit harsh on the horses but I don't thing they where proven.

With racing decimated again today I am thankful that the Irish racings still on

Lucky 31 (x62) Each Way

11. Mr Incredible
15/8
31st Jan NAAS 14:15 2M 3F HURDLE 2m 3f - Each Way
11. Shakeytry
13/2
31st Jan NAAS 14:45 1M 7 1/2F HCAP HURDLE 1m 7f 151yds - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 5 Places
5. Eurobot
9/1
31st Jan NAAS 15:15 3M 1F CHASE 3m 170yds - Each Way
3. Notice To Close
5/1
31st Jan NAAS 15:45 2M 4 1/2F HCAP CHASE 2m 4f 90yds - Each Way
16. Staker Wallace 15/2
31st Jan NAAS 16:15 3M 1F CHASE 3m 170yds - Each Way
16:15 Today
Best odds

Good luck all if your having a punt
I will be honest and say I dont know if I ever heard anything about Pipes training methods that were harsh or cruel, but what he did do was make sure that his horses were the fittest they could be, he tailored the feeds he used to the horses needs, and he took on board best training practice from around the world.
And he also made sure they were running in the right races for them. if they were fit and could run, he would run them, even if he had to run them a dozen times a year. There would hardly be a seller run at Taunton or Exeter than didnt have a few pipe runners at long odds on, he just loved to have winners.
It worked perfectly for him as it got him onto the map and people started to take notice and send him very good quality horses, and he struck up a great partnership with David Johnson and the quality of horse was raised to another level.
He also had the services of two very determined jockeys, Peter Scu and AP, both only ever wanted to be the best and to ride as many winners as possible.
These days the Skelton's started in this vein and they have moved up a few levels in the quality of their horses, but again what they did was look at best practice from around the world. picked up horses relatively cheaply from the flat and trained them as best they could to win races.

Good luck today to all,

There are some nice big fields today at Warwick and I struggled to choose my picks for today because most of the bigger fields are so competitive. I was in two minds to do a lucky 31 ew to include Azure Fly in the 2.35 but at 66/1 I bottled it.
GL if your having a punt all :)

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

13. Flight To Nowhere
12/1
3rd Feb WARWICK 13:30 NOVICE'S HANDICAP CHASE 2m 4f 0y - Each Way
Starting in 16 minutes
8. Hunny Moon
3/1
3rd Feb WARWICK 14:00 NOVICES' HURDLE 2m 3f 0y - Each Way
6. Undersupervision
9/2
3rd Feb WARWICK 15:40 HANDICAP HURDLE 3m 2f 0y - Each Way
18. Highway Jewel
3/1
3rd Feb WARWICK 16:10 HUNTERS CHASE 3m 0f 0y - Each Way
Best odd

Remind to myself, if you have some coins left over on your account, don't spend that last 5 euros to very longshot EW bet, you would be happier wihout or better making deposit to make it with bet size you normally bet.... Not getting this big winners often and why fcking 2.5 euros for win and place, nice return but bit pissed of bet size to be smallest i remember betting to horses anywhere.... Lesson learnt, leave that fiver till next time...

1612399944360.png

Good luck colin.

Will put a bet on myself after half 2 when home from work.

Got 20 quid just on thrill seeker in first at lingfield at 11/10.

Only backed it as PP doing money back for 2nd to 4th as free bet on that race even tho it is on flat with small field.

So did a tenner there and a tenner at WH as got place a tenner on horses get tenner free bet.

Fingers crossed that the weather holds up tomorrow for the racing. This is my main bet for today. GL if your having a punt

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

8. Hodds Girl
9/2
5th Feb DUNDALK 16:00 5F HCAP 5f - Each Way
6. Pempie
13/2
5th Feb DUNDALK 16:30 1M 4F HCAP 1m 4f - Each Way
2. Storm Elza
5/1
5th Feb DUNDALK 17:00 1M 2 1/2F HCAP 1m 2f 150yds - Each Way
6. Kudbegood
10/3
5th Feb DUNDALK 19:00 1M HCAP 1m - Each Way
Best odds

Good luck colin.

Will put a bet on myself after half 2 when home from work.

Got 20 quid just on thrill seeker in first at lingfield at 11/10.

Only backed it as PP doing money back for 2nd to 4th as free bet on that race even tho it is on flat with small field.

So did a tenner there and a tenner at WH as got place a tenner on horses get tenner free bet.
thanks for that, saw your post and quickly stuck a tenner on accomplice at 8/1 as it hadn't been out the first 4 for about 10 races, and had a 5/16 win record here, just got home and saw it won :D
Missed Sean's first one and went to stick a fiver EW on the second one and paddypower sports is down ffs, hope it doesn't win haha

EDIT: Came 2nd at 7/1 so didn't really lose anything by missing it :)

Last edited:
thanks for that, saw your post and quickly stuck a tenner on accomplice at 8/1 as it hadn't been out the first 4 for about 10 races, and had a 5/16 win record here, just got home and saw it won :D
Missed Sean's first one and went to stick a fiver EW on the second one and paddypower sports is down ffs, hope it doesn't win haha
Nice one Colin.

The favourite was never going to win it looked like The jockey was more interested in watching his missus in front of him since he followed her all the way around lol.

Yeah i don't normally do the favourite. But in these money back races i normally can't get a good priced horse placed. So figured it should be a certainty to be in top four with 7 runners. Unusual race for PP.

And PP went down about 2.45 . Was on bus going to put bet on when saw you could still back the 2 races before that had finished. Figured site was having problems. Hope it's back for football tonight as money in account there. Saw your horse finished 2nd.

Just a heads up for anyone with a PP account in Ireland. Free 5euro bet on the 1.05 at leopardstown.

Theres some really.good racing there tomorrow not least the fav in that very race who looks to have serious potential plus honeysuckle takes on sharjah and Chacun Por Sui(spelling?) takes on Min(who I have been following off a cliff for years)

Haven't looked at the other cards yet but between that good racing, city playing liverpool in a crucial game and 6 nations returning. I'm looking forward to the sporting weekend ahead.

ok, for once going to do an Irish bet tomorrow as it's the Irish Festival.

The one that stands out as a massive price to me is Notebook in the 1.35. Only 6 runners, but Paddy Power has it at 11/1 which is massive. Best price elsewhere is 8's. I think one of the market leaders will falter and think Notebook will be the one to take advantage.

In the 1.05 Holymacapony beat the favourite first time out. Got pulled up last time, but at 8/1 seems to have a decent EW chance.

In the Champion Hurdle at 3.15 Honeysuckle is likely to win, but think Saint Roi (13/2) is almost certain to get a place. Abacadabras would be my second choice. Only 6 runners though.

2.45 I REALLY like The Shunter at 5/1 6 places

I may do a lucky 31 rather than 15 and include Blue Sari at 20/1 6 places, in the 3.50

If I had to NAP one, it would be the shunter, I've heard nothing but good things about it, this race was it's target apparently, it's being backed in already and theres a significant percentage of the market on it on betfair too.

Good luck whatever you back

Porlock Bay's target is the Foxhunters at Cheltenham (currently 33/1) and think he will win the 3.20W tomorrow. Currently 2/1. Should love the ground tomorrow too.
Just quoting this for future reference. It came second, but looked like it was going to win at one point, in fact went odds on in play, and as a result has been shortened into 20's for the Foxhunter

Back home and can enjoy Saturdays sports on own sofa again, some early bets done and more to come.

EW Patent to Leopardstrown:

1.05 Vaniller @ 14.00, 4 places
2.10 Darven Star @ 13.00, 3 places
3.50 Gabynako @ 15.00, 6 places

Then some PP footie power price: Salah, Sterling, Mount all one shot on target, odds of 6 sounds reasonable, probably Sterlings shoot quality counted in but if he get try under 5 meter why not.

Small mug bet on Min in the 1.35. Happy enough at prices to have a cut.
Just on the big race. Honeysuckle will most likely win at around 11/8. But if someone fancied Sharjah I wouldn't put them off. Won the christmas hurdle over C&D and has beaten every other horse in the race comfortably.

I also did a small treble
Bangkok at evens 1.45 Lingfield Ryan Moore takes the ride I expect him to get the better of fenix this time.

Ask me Early at 6/4 3.30 Sandown horse is improving all the while I can see it winning well.

Kilcruit at 7/4 last race at leopardstown.
Its a Mullins horse in a bumper so no surprise its fav. I don't bet bumpers often but most of these have won previously and theres many with good form. I was very impressed by Kilcruit last time though. Whatever beats him would be Cheltenham Bumper favourite or close to it imo.

Treble pays around 11/1.

The 2.50 is an interesting race. I do think The Shunter is a very solid and fairly priced fav. I am not having a bet in it due to also fancying Pont Avon and Fort Stanley in the same race. So I will not have a bet.

Have a couple of small football bets and one bet in the 6 nations too. So plenty to look forward to.

Good luck to all having a punt.

Last edited:
Few more from me today

2.05M Torigni Harry Whittington has decided to send Torigni for the County at Musselburgh instead of waiting for the Betfair, it could be because he think's he has a better chance today, or just that the weather forecast means theres a good chance Newbury is going to be off next week. Either way I think he will get a place at least. Most likely needed the run last time, and ran a really good race, so can see him doing the same again today. 9/2 everywhere, Skybet 4 places.

2.20S Santini think this will beat BDM, not sure if he will beat everything else though, small win at 11/4.

1.11L I've backed Fizzy Feet quite often and think he might get placed today, but be surprised if anything beats Misty Grey. Best priced 11/4, think that is a massive price.

The Scottish National is taking place this afternoon at 3.45M. Little Bruce has the profile to be able to do well in this. The concern is his form this season but on the whole has been running over much shorter distances. He was 4th last year, off 2lb higher, had a run out a couple of weeks ago, think he has been laid out for this. Think the favourite has too much weight. Currently 16/1 4 places. As much as I think Le Breuil has too much weight, I'm also aware he needs to win quite easily today to have any hope of getting into the main National. He needs to go up at least 5lb to stand any chance of getting in, I'm sure they will be trying on him. Might do a small rfc on those two and add Classic Escape for a rtricast. See how the earlier races go first though :)

Another quick one over in Ireland, in the 2.45, still think The Shunter will win this, and has had money this morning again, but an outside I like is Arvico Bleu at 66/1 5 places with Coral, or around 40's 6 places.

Good luck today

Its a shame we lost Wetherby but in all that's not a bad result for early Feb :) Here's my Irish bet for today. Good luck all with your bets :)

Lucky 31 (x62) Each Way

8. Cape Gentleman
13/2
6th Feb LEOPARDSTOWN 13:05 2M 6F HURDLE 2m 6f 33yds - Each Way
7. Franco De Port
15/2
6th Feb LEOPARDSTOWN 14:10 2M 1 1/2F CHASE 2m 1f 57yds - Each Way
4. Epson Du Houx
11/2
6th Feb LEOPARDSTOWN 14:45 2M 1 1/2F HCAP CHASE 2m 1f 57yds - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 6 Places
V
1. Shannon Bridge
6/1
6th Feb WETHERBY 15:00 HANDICAP HURDLE 2m 3f 154y - Each Way
11. Hes A Hardy Bloke
9/1
6th Feb LEOPARDSTOWN 15:50 2M HCAP HURDLE 2m - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 6 Places
Best odds

This is going well haha.
I missed this earlier, but noticed it from @Kenji85 's post. Ask me Early is Sean's only ride of the day, and he could have had rides at Wetherby (obviously called off earlier), so for him to come here for this one horse, I'm sure he expects it to win. Going to do a win and a FC with
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
as it's the only other one in the race I can see troubling the selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back