Horse Racing & Tips Thread

Don't be sorry GeordieCol I didn't expect the fav to be 2/1 honestly.

I think if enough people enter we'll see someone predict both correctly!

Runners,riders and all info here for the race should anyone need it.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

First goalscorer betting is available in lots of places. Here's paddy powers page for an idea on prices
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
Bloody hell. I had to go check in PP. It was at least 3/1 earlier. I'm sure that there is no reason why others don't choose the same nag as me?

Random story kind of related.

My local pub did a Cheltenham tipping comp back in the day 2009/2010 ish. I totally misunderstood you needed to pick two horses each day.

I went to ladbrokes and put a tenner double on
Go Native in the supreme novices and Wichita Lineman in the race where McCoy beat the shit out of him for two miles to win by a short head.
Won the tipping comp for 50 free pints
AND
Collected a little over 1100quid from ladbrokes.

Good times lol

The favourite absolutely hacked up at Cheltenham before Xmas, looked to be very much on the upgrade and could most likely have won with another 20lb on his back and looks a penalty kick tomorrow, so obviously I am going to go for Pont Avon to win and Sir Marcus Rashford to steal 3 points at Anfield with a 93rd minute VAR assisted moment of magic......

Thanks for the opportunity to show how good I am at tipping winners......

Random story kind of related.

My local pub did a Cheltenham tipping comp back in the day 2009/2010 ish. I totally misunderstood you needed to pick two horses each day.

I went to ladbrokes and put a tenner double on
Go Native in the supreme novices and Wichita Lineman in the race where McCoy beat the shit out of him for two miles to win by a short head.
Won the tipping comp for 50 free pints
AND
Collected a little over 1100quid from ladbrokes.

Good times lol
My best day ever resulted in me making more money for others than I did for myself! Back in the late 80's as a young lad I went to the races at Catterick. As a trainee I only had a few quid at the time so I stuck my bets on and I kept getting handed cash to put on whatever because most of those that where with us where women and had no clue. I was also given about a fiver from my housemate cos he knew I was skint and to give him back his winnings. I think I only lost in one race out of 8. The ladies winnings more than paid for their piss up and my housemate was shocked that I handed him a fist full of dosh.

My best day ever resulted in me making more money for others than I did for myself! Back in the late 80's as a young lad I went to the races at Catterick. As a trainee I only had a few quid at the time so I stuck my bets on and I kept getting handed cash to put on whatever because most of those that where with us where women and had no clue. I was also given about a fiver from my housemate cos he knew I was skint and to give him back his winnings. I think I only lost in one race out of 8. The ladies winnings more than paid for their piss up and my housemate was shocked that I handed him a fist full of dosh.

Have you (or anyone) ever had any lucky bets?
I've had the tricast in the national a couple of times paying 8000-1+, and the forecasts with them paying 100-1+ plus a few more forecasts, had a Sean Bowen 4 timer that paid loads, but my luckiest bet was when I was about 18. Henry Cecil had 2 horses running in the race, one was second favourite, one was 100-1. Both had the same first half of name but slightly different second, so like xxxxxxx yyy & xxxxxxx zzz. I put £1 on the second fav, course the other one won at 100-1. As I was leaving the manager shouted, you not want your winnings Col, me, what winnings, showed me the slip, I'd put the wrong horse down and got the 100-1 winner :) I was only getting about £20 a week wages then so £100 was a fortune to me!

I've had the tricast in the national a couple of times paying 8000-1+, and the forecasts with them paying 100-1+ plus a few more forecasts, had a Sean Bowen 4 timer that paid loads, but my luckiest bet was when I was about 18. Henry Cecil had 2 horses running in the race, one was second favourite, one was 100-1. Both had the same first half of name but slightly different second, so like xxxxxxx yyy & xxxxxxx zzz. I put £1 on the second fav, course the other one won at 100-1. As I was leaving the manager shouted, you not want your winnings Col, me, what winnings, showed me the slip, I'd put the wrong horse down and got the 100-1 winner :) I was only getting about £20 a week wages then so £100 was a fortune to me!
I've never really had a massive win. However During Glorious Goodwood again late 80's I was on a course on a day off and although I had managed to pick my horses out from my paper I missed the bookies. At the time CH4 showed live 5 races then showed a rerun of them later in the evening. I watch them all win at odds from about 11/2 up to 16/1. :(

Serveral bets where i got lucky in the event rather than selection wise.
Things like Harrington in his first open when he looked to have thrown it away and Sergio Garcia managed to fuck it away instead!

My very first ever bet was as a young un.

I bet Ivanisevic to beat Rafter 3-2 in the Wimbledon final. He did and my 2 quid at 11/2 was such a thrill. I remember being disgusted as I got the return as I had no idea about the 5% tax that was a thing in those days.

About 30 odd years ago, i think it was in the late 80's, I had a fiver bet, and a fiver was a big bet for me in those days, it was 2 x £2 singles and a £1 double. First horse won at around 6 or 7 to one, second horse was a horse of Jimmy Fitzgeralds and i think it was called meikleor, around 2-1 favourite and got stuffed. Went in on the Monday to pick up my bet with one winner, but instead got paid out just over £100 - my hand writing was so bad that there was a horse called Maelkar running the same day and it won at 9-1. I didnt let them know that they paid me out wrong.....

Serveral bets where i got lucky in the event rather than selection wise.
Things like Harrington in his first open when he looked to have thrown it away and Sergio Garcia managed to fuck it away instead!

My very first ever bet was as a young un.

I bet Ivanisevic to beat Rafter 3-2 in the Wimbledon final. He did and my 2 quid at 11/2 was such a thrill. I remember being disgusted as I got the return as I had no idea about the 5% tax that was a thing in those days.
My fave ever Tennis player was Henri Leconte. So entertaining :)

I've never really had a massive win. However During Glorious Goodwood again late 80's I was on a course on a day off and although I had managed to pick my horses out from my paper I missed the bookies. At the time CH4 showed live 5 races then showed a rerun of them later in the evening. I watch them all win at odds from about 11/2 up to 16/1. :(
I still do that type of thing today.
I don't ever really think about picking horses out, just if I have a bit of time on a morning when I'm having my coffees I tend to do them then, or sometimes have a look the night before. Theres been a few times when I've got distracted and missed the first one or two and then just not backed anything. Missed a few winners but losers too so probably evens itself out.
Only time I set myself some specific time to actually look at the races properly is Cheltenham and the National.

I think Seans at Warwick for Pure Bliss tomorrow, around 7/1 in the 2.25, but Geordie Des Champs is an interesting runner. Has the form to win this and wouldn't be 33/1 if he hadn't had almost 3 years off. If he is fit and has retained the ability he had, then he will have a chance of winning, but unless theres money for it I probably won't back it, as it's more likely to be a run out for the horse than a serious attempt to win.

I still do that type of thing today.
I don't ever really think about picking horses out, just if I have a bit of time on a morning when I'm having my coffees I tend to do them then, or sometimes have a look the night before. Theres been a few times when I've got distracted and missed the first one or two and then just not backed anything. Missed a few winners but losers too so probably evens itself out.
Only time I set myself some specific time to actually look at the races properly is Cheltenham and the National.

I think Seans at Warwick for Pure Bliss tomorrow, around 7/1 in the 2.25, but Geordie Des Champs is an interesting runner. Has the form to win this and wouldn't be 33/1 if he hadn't had almost 3 years off. If he is fit and has retained the ability he had, then he will have a chance of winning, but unless theres money for it I probably won't back it, as it's more likely to be a run out for the horse than a serious attempt to win.
Geordie is running in the 335 Col. Its 40/1at the moment with PP. I would avoid that because as you say it probably will need the run. In the same race I think Keppage at 15/2 looks a good EW bet

I have never had a huge lucky win as such.

Remember an old pal over 20 years ago won over £10000 by mistake. Saying that figure but think it was lot more.

He had wrote out 2 placepots for evening racing. Ended up putting numbers for both on wrong meetings.

Anyway ended up that the numbers for one card all came in on the other that he had put on by mistake. And as the ground was real heavy there were so many non runners and all the races had high priced placed horses without a favourite in site. Think was about £3 left in pool after final race.

Can not believe anyone could ever be so lucky.

As for me most i ever won was on one horse at Cheltenham many moons ago.

I fancied Katchit for triumph hurdle so bad and is only horse i have ever fancied so strongly.

For weeks on end every time i was getting a football bet or horse up i was sticking a few quid on it at all sorts of priced.

By time the race went off i had a small fortune on it. Was listening to it on radio coming home from work and hearing it romping home so easily is a memory i won't forget.

Anyway got home and let's just say i had a fair whack in several bookies accounts. Was quite shocked at amount. Anyway was in time for Gold Cup and could not believe Kauto Star was over evens. So went well won't miss £500 off winnings so stuck it on. Needless to say it won as expected.

Paid few things off and brought stuff for house and my boy .

Well i will never again have that much on any horse and that was also my one and only£500 on one single bet as well.

Good memories.

Years and years ago when young and used to bet a lot in Finland for harness racing (dunno if that word make sense, had to google translation), sometimes got some tricasts bests around 2-4000x but systems usually were 48x or something.

Probably weirdest one was my GF at the time who came to race with me first time ever and started to ask loads of things how to read racing card, i was of course too busy with my own betting and bit rudely say that "doesn't matter, you don't get it anyway..." or something, she ended up to pick reverse forecast with one with funny name and other cute looking, was only one to have it right and got over 5000x her bet... Got quite humble in very short moment when she showed that ticket and asked did she win...

Years and years ago when young and used to bet a lot in Finland for harness racing (dunno if that word make sense, had to google translation), sometimes got some tricasts bests around 2-4000x but systems usually were 48x or something.

Probably weirdest one was my GF at the time who came to race with me first time ever and started to ask loads of things how to read racing card, i was of course too busy with my own betting and bit rudely say that "doesn't matter, you don't get it anyway..." or something, she ended up to pick reverse forecast with one with funny name and other cute looking, was only one to have it right and got over 5000x her bet... Got quite humble in very short moment when she showed that ticket and asked did she win...
You should have said " No my dear" took it off her then cash it out :p

3.00W This is an interesting race, Venetia Williams has 2 runners and on paper Achille, with Charlie Deutsch on board would seem to be the better of the two, but I think the jockey has picked the wrong one to ride. I think Didero Vallis has the better form and will likely finish ahead of the other, despite being around twice the price. Not saying he will win, but think he is the value in the race at current prices. 25/1 4 places, 22's available at hills or skybet for 5 places.

For the competition

Probably come unstuck here as the fav is likely to win, but that would be boring, so going to go with Top Moon.
In the football, going to go for Rashford.

Good luck everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back