Horse Racing & Tips Thread

Heads up.

Aiden O Brien is pulling out all his runners in longchamp tomorrow for arc day. High likelihood it could effect more trainers from here or from GB as several trainers housed horses in stables with contaminated feed.

O'Brien withdrew one originally due to a positive test, the rest were negative. But I guess with the money that whole operation makes post racing in breeding etc a positive drugs text would cause serious damage to ballydoyle and coolmore so they've pulled every runner.

ok, so the Arc, I can't have Enable at around evens, Gosden has said he won't like the ground (although not sure that is true myself), but true heavy ground does throw up some dodgy results. The two who I think should handle the ground, and are good enough to at least get placed are In Swoop and Persian King, currently around 8's and 14's respectively, 4 places. Will do a small EW on both and put Persian King in a Lucky 15 with the ones below, selected due to the ability to probably handle the ground and the draw.
3.50L Ambition 14/1 4 places
4.25L Air De Valse 12/1 (also like Archer's Dream in this but it's last run put me off backing it - no doubt it will win now).
4.55L Rubaiyat 33/1

Elsewhere, Sean Bowen seems to be riding well again, so going to do his three rides today, all which do, on paper, seem to have a decent chance.

1.40U Easy Bucks 11/2
3.46U Statuario 4/1
4.16U The Triple Pillar 10/1
and 1.25K Playa Blanca 5/1 to make up a lucky 15.

Good luck with your bets today

I have gone for Strad in the Arc purely because I would love to see him win it. I was surprised that Obrien withdrew all of his horses because I was at the understanding that all traces of the dodgy feed would be out of their systems within 48-72 hours and that time has lapsed?
I managed to bag a non runner which will ensure I will get a little back at least :p

LUCKY 15
(EACH WAY)
Ardamir
5/1
Win or Each Way, 1/4 odds - places 1,2,3
14:08 Tipperary
Northern Emperor
11/2
Win or Each Way, 1/5 odds - places 1,2,3,4
14:38 Tipperary
Mickey Shea
4/1
Win or Each Way, 1/5 odds - places 1,2,3,4
15:08 Tipperary
Bitview Colin
5/1
Win or Each Way, 1/5 odds - places 1,2,3

And

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

6. Stradivarius
9/2
4th Oct PARISLONGCHAMP 15:05 EVENT 1m 3f 204y - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 4 Places
8. Tawkeel
7/2
4th Oct PARISLONGCHAMP 15:50 EVENT 1m 1f 207y - Each Way
V
10. Dark American
5/1
4th Oct PARISLONGCHAMP 17:25 HANDICAP 0m 6f 211y - Each Way
7. Caliste
4/1
4th Oct PARISLONGCHAMP 17:55 HANDICAP 0m 6f 211y - Each Way
Best odds

Good luck today :)

ok, so the Arc, I can't have Enable at around evens, Gosden has said he won't like the ground (although not sure that is true myself), but true heavy ground does throw up some dodgy results. The two who I think should handle the ground, and are good enough to at least get placed are In Swoop and Persian King, currently around 8's and 14's respectively, 4 places. Will do a small EW on both and put Persian King in a Lucky 15 with the ones below, selected due to the ability to probably handle the ground and the draw.
3.50L Ambition 14/1 4 places
4.25L Air De Valse 12/1 (also like Archer's Dream in this but it's last run put me off backing it - no doubt it will win now).
4.55L Rubaiyat 33/1

Elsewhere, Sean Bowen seems to be riding well again, so going to do his three rides today, all which do, on paper, seem to have a decent chance.

1.40U Easy Bucks 11/2
3.46U Statuario 4/1
4.16U The Triple Pillar 10/1
and 1.25K Playa Blanca 5/1 to make up a lucky 15.

Good luck with your bets today
It looks like you got off to a flier Col?

yep then died a death lol.
then stuck a tenner on spurs to win 6-1 @ 150-1, cashed out £295, a minute later they got a penalty, went to 6-1 - and thats why I don't usually cash out ffs lol

Well today's racing is poor, to say the least.

1.30P Bodacious Name. This race is awful, apart from Call My Bluff, nothing is in form at all, and Call My Bluff has gone up enough in the weights to suggest he might struggle today. Bodacious Name won thsi 2 years ago at 14/1, after 2 runs previously that season that were poor, just as has happened this time. He has form on soft/heavy ground and likes the distance. He tends to run his best races in the latter part of the year. Jockey and trainer are in decent form. Negatives are that when he won 2 years ago it was good/soft, and I think today is more likely to be on the heavy side of soft. The 2 races he has ran in this season were at the start of the year, whereas last time were in the previous month, so there will be question marks about his fitness. I imagine he will be held up and try to start making ground 4f out, and then try to pass the leaders in the last furlong. Is currently 20/1 and could get a place, if not win.

Tidal Point is another I like in the race, currently 40/1. He ran well last year in much better races than this, finishing 2nd in one, finishing fast, on heavy ground, only beaten half a length by a hot favourite, who has won 6 of his 11 races in the past 2 seasons, most of them better than this. Tidal Point hasn't ran on soft/heavy since, and it could see an improvement from him.

Of the shorter priced ones, I would go with Nordano who has decent form, on this type of ground, in much much better races. I think 2/1 is too short though considering he hasn't won a flat race.

I'll be doing a small EW bet on both the big prices, a small FC on them and a small reverse tricast on all three.

Good luck if you manage to find anything to back today :)

That went close to what I thought it might. Bodacious Name sat out the back, started to make headway about 5 out, was in about 3rd 3 out, then the lack of fitness kicked in and he dropped out. If he gets entered anywhere over the next few weeks, on the same ground, and 2m+ then I think he will be much closer with todays run under his belt.

Tidal Point got backed into 20/1 at one point, finishing 2nd at 25/1, a long way clear of the third. Call My Bluff did very well under the extra weight and imagine he has another race or two in him on the basis of that display.

Fast spin should win the 4.45 this evening, has the form to do so and don't think James Doyle has gone for one ride without it being expected to win. 5/2

The favourite should win the first,

Last edited:
No bets at the afternoon meetings but

4.50L Dutch Story Hedging. Quite a bit of money for these two, especially the latter
3.30C Wots The Wifi Code. Loads of money for this one, and no idea why as looking at it, it shouldn't get close to winning, it has started to drift slightly now though

If I'm near a bookies will probably do a tenner double on them just in case.

Others I think should do ok

4.10L Miaella
5.20S Brenner Pass
6.50S Mukha Magic EW
7.20S Mackelly (amazed this isn't long odds on)
8.20S Capla Cubiste

Good luck today

5.05L Peat Moss. Trainer has a 25% strike rate with 3yo's in handicap hurdles, increasing to 50% last year. Peat Moss needs to come off a strong pace and the slight doubt about this afternoon is if he will get it, there are a couple of front runners in the field so hopefully it's fast enough for him to come through at the end and win. Best priced 4/1 with 4 places, will be amazed if he doesn't finish in the first 4. I'm going to do a small EW on him at a bookies, but going to back him in running on Betfair as I think he will drift mid race, then shorten towards the end, giving the chance to lay off if required.

2.00N Myseven. Stable is in brilliant form and so is the horse. Be surprised if he doesn't beat Viola, although there are a few in the race that could win.

3.10N Think Snow Ocean should complete the 4 timer here, with Eagle Court being the main danger.

5.05L Peat Moss. Trainer has a 25% strike rate with 3yo's in handicap hurdles, increasing to 50% last year. Peat Moss needs to come off a strong pace and the slight doubt about this afternoon is if he will get it, there are a couple of front runners in the field so hopefully it's fast enough for him to come through at the end and win. Best priced 4/1 with 4 places, will be amazed if he doesn't finish in the first 4. I'm going to do a small EW on him at a bookies, but going to back him in running on Betfair as I think he will drift mid race, then shorten towards the end, giving the chance to lay off if required.

3.10N Think Snow Ocean should complete the 4 timer here, with Eagle Court being the main danger.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Best odds

Stake
£10.00
Potential Returns
£60.00

Thats my one in that race

on 2 week break from all gambling but i can still post horsey ideas :)

First Race Ayr- Kats Bob
either outright or bet without favourite.

Second Race Ayr- Ayr Poet
outright

Third Race Ayr- Flying Moon
EW

Race 1 Exeter- Don Juan Du Gouet
Bet without favourite or outright

Race 2 Exeter- Northern Poet
insurance bet or outright

Last edited:
on 2 week break from all gambling but i can still post horsey ideas :)

First Race Ayr- Kats Bob
either outright or bet without favourite.

Second Race Ayr- Ayr Poet
outright

Third Race Ayr- Flying Moon
EW

Race 1 Exeter- Don Juan Du Gouet
Bet without favourite or outright

Race 2 Exeter- Northern Poet
insurance bet or outright

3 out of 5 correct. By insure bet I meant in the 3 places.

14:05, York: Ouzo 12or11/1 atm

And for Dave, 16:10 Newmarket: Kingbrook, of course :D

And this donkey actually managed to win, probably time to start beer Friday then :)

edit: wtf they're doing there, not confirmed and BF market still open, this odds to win 1.14 atm and next one over 8 so don't think there's big chance to take this off from me (except my exceptional good luck... wouldn't be happy for only place now like would been before race).

Weird, think haven't seen before BF market open this long after race finished...

1602249817791.png

Last edited:
And this donkey actually managed to win, probably time to start beer Friday then :)

edit: wtf they're doing there, not confirmed and BF market still open, this odds to win 1.14 atm and next one over 8 so don't think there's big chance to take this off from me (except my exceptional good luck... wouldn't be happy for only place now like would been before race).

Weird, think haven't seen before BF market open this long after race finished...

View attachment 142903
Happens the odd time I think when there's a stewards enquiry

OK, been busy today, but couple from me

5.25C Red River 8/1
4.10N Strait Of Hormuz 12/1 (5 places)
4.55C Crosspark 16/1 4 places (unibet)

Good luck if you're having a bet

Crosspark was a bit of a kick in the teeth, beaten a nose, and my main bet of the day. Frank Spencer's ride on Strait of Hormuz was terrible, whoever thought dropping him out the back on a day when every winner was ridden from the front, or close up, was an idiot. I knew in the first furlong it wouldn't win. Red River was backed into 4/1 and got placed.

2.55N I would be surprised if Thunder Moon doesn't win this. Currently best priced 11/4, he has been very impressive in his two races to date. Wembley met trouble in a race he was beaten by Thunder Moon, and was finishing like a train, so would have him as the danger/FC selection.

3.10Y Roulston Scar, likes York, likes soft, his Nottingham win last time reads like it was a warm up for this race, already been backed from 14's into 8's, worth an EW bet 5 places most firms, 6 with Skybet, 7 with Hills. In the same race, the money for Tranchee looks significant, and that alone would mark him as the danger, he has the form to win too.

2.35Y Nicholas T is back over his best trip. and could win this on his best form. Not overly confident about it but 33/1 4 places is too big, I have it as around a 12/1 shot.

4.32C The Bay Birch is favourite and it's easy to see why, won this last year, 8lb lower today, and has had a prep race recently. Clearly has been set up for this race. However, I think better value is Marracudja, currently 33/1 4 places, if his form with Defi Du Seuil and Un De Sceaux – when he also bled from the nose - is real form, then he should win this. The ground was heavy then though, which could make the form unreliable, but he also had the 165-rated Janika well behind and the 153 Capeland miles back yet he's still on just 149. Both jockey and trainer are also in good form, and think it has an excellent chance of being placed. If I were a bookie, then I wouldn't want to lay it at much over 8/1, 33/1 is massive value.

In the Cesarewitch Vis A Vis might be worth a small EW bet, currently 33/1 7 places with PP or 8 places with Skybet.

Another couple of thoughts on Chepstow

1.40 don't like the odds on favourite here. The race he came second in hasn't worked out very well, and it's obvious he's priced up based on the connections rather than ability, would be happy to place lay it on Betfair at the current 1.15. Hector De Sivola was clearly expected to do better on his debut, when he was odds on and ran 5th. Will give him a go today.

2.12 Stimulating Song should be good enough to get at least a place here.

2.47 Ballyoptic could quite easily win this, if he can handle the weight. If I was playing on Betfair today, would place lay Secret Investor, don't think he will like this race at all.

3.57 Really decent looking race on paper, and not one I'll be having a bet in, but if pushed would pick Sir Psycho after his 5th in the Triumph.

Good luck today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back