Honesty--- The best policy

A lot of years ago, on my way home from work, I stopped to fill up the car. When I was done with that I drove the 2 km home and parked my car and went inside. At the same moment I closed the door at home I felt something was wrong. I couldn't understand what it was, I just felt it. I checked the apartment all over, found nothing strange. When I finally, after 10 minutes or so, gave it a rest and sat down at the TV I realized it. Holy Shit, I forgot to pay for the gas. :oops:

In panic, I ran out to the car, drove as fast as I could back to the quite big gas station. Ran inside and luckily I was the only customer at that time. I told the man behind the counter that I was here 25 minutes earlier and forgot to pay for my gas. He smiled and said: I know, I saw it. And why didn't you call the police?, I asked. We always wait up to an hour if we think it's one of those stressed people on their way home from work. :D

Today at the same gas station, and at all other gas stations near, there are big signs that says that no gas pumps will be started before ID or money is showed to the staff. Most people pay with their card out at the fuel pump but those who want to buy a newspaper or a hot dog together with their gas have to wait for the staff to start your fuel pump. Signs says that late nights the door is locked and you have to pay through a small window.

Something happened between the time of my story and present. :cool:

In Florida you are now required by law to pay before you pump. If a store allows you to pump first and you drive off, police do not respond. waste of their time.

True story and it fits this thread perfectly.

Last week I was doing the lotto for my mum in law,as I do every Saturday for her.
I go to the local grocery store,have her numbers checked and give the forms for the next draw that day.
As usual a bit of talk with one of the ladies at the till so all good.
That morning she had been quite busy so she was all over the place a little.

My mum in law won €10.00 on the previous draw.
She paid me that.
She then put through the new forms and gave me the tickets.

That's grand Mark,thanks and see you next time.
I was like,ehm did you not forget something?
She says,no not anything that I can think about.

Well I had to remind her she did not take for the new lottery tickets which was €22.00. :)

I could have walked away and put that €22.00 in my own pocket but that's not like me at all.
Because it wouldn't feel right.
Also thinking there will be a shortage of money in the till on the end of the day and someone will be blamed for that.

So yeah,I felt good doing the right thing! :D:thumbsup:

People in general are always good to me too and I think that that reflects in my own behaviour in such situations.

;)

Many years ago in the U.K, I went shopping at the local supermarket and found a pair of plastic keys in the car park.

I didn't think they were kids 'play' keys, so I just returned them to the local police station and the police wanted my home info, so I gave it not thinking too much about it.

The next week I received a letter in the mail from the owner of the 'plastic keys' and he wrote a two page letter, explaining that I may have saved his career as he was in the army. And that he would be very fortunate to meet me to thank me . (No, it wasn't a come on but sincere)

This was a time in my life when I was so depressed, felt so alone, felt 'different', had so many social anxieties that this letter gave me so much hope.

He saved me. Just little things can mean so much.

My mum still has the letter 35 ish years later in Ireland.

I remember his handwriting and the color of the paper he wrote on.

Years and years ago I was a waitress at a restaurant that was very popular with tourists in the summer. The Canucks (Canadians for those that don't know the slang LOL) generally had a problem with USA money because all our bills look pretty much alike (same color, size, etc.). So, I always had to watch out for what was left as a tip.

One day two nice gentleman had a bit of lunch and beer... their bill was something like $30. I went to the table as soon as they got up and sure enough, there was two $10 bills for the tip. They had paid their tab and were headed out the door. I tell them they had left 2 tenners, and thought that was a bit much even though I was a good waitress. They laughed and laughed. They each took a $10 back, started out the door, had a discussion, and as I was going back to my station one stopped me and handed me a folded $100 bill. I was aghast... (I'm thinking 'we're going from bad to worse here, and I've got people waiting on their food')... He laughed and said, I know what it is. Keep it. Your honesty made our day. Stay that way, eh?

Bless their hearts, I never saw them again, but that tip helped make up for what had a been a really lousy week.

In Florida you are now required by law to pay before you pump. If a store allows you to pump first and you drive off, police do not respond. waste of their time.

Interesting. I think that should be implemented everywhere! If you don't need as much as what you paid then you don't pay as much.

If you go over then it cuts off at what you paid.

Great idea. Simple!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back