H67 Express vs. B75 Express chipsets ... someone tell me about the difference?

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
I've been 'window shopping' for an OTS (off the shelf) new desktop. Very similar computers... one has the H67 and the other B75. I've tried googling, but the info I've skimmed thru only gives me a headache and makes my eyes go googley. Put it simply for me please? Which is the newer release? Is one any better than the other? Any major differences?

As I understand it, B75 was originally intended for corporate usage while H67 is home/media usage, but then some manufacturers started using B75 in home hardware - which works fine but with potential limitations, it really depends how the manufacturer has implemented it and may supplement it's abilities through external chipsets.

H67 has been replaced by H77, the H67 is still available but ideally H77 is more future-proof. Some differences in H77 include multiple digital monitors (H67 generally being 1 digital, 1 VGA) and more USB 3.0 ports. But some manufacturers supplement the H67 natural abilities with external chipsets so multi-digital-monitors and additional USB 3.0 ports may not be an issue.

Also H77 has native Ivy Bridge support (plus legacy Sandy Bridge support), while H67 has native Sandy Bridge support that is usually (but not always) upgradable to Ivy Bridge depending on BIOS upgradability (and if it is upgradable, the speed will be limited to PCIe 2.0 standards).

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back