Good old british (and some US) TV shows

dandan

Seven day suspension for being a PITA
PABinit
I grew up watching Fawlty Towers.... and Monty Python. My Mum had them on 'tape'.

I used to think she was nuts.

Not so anymore :cool:

Fawlty and Monty would have to be my 2 fave old tv shows.

Some other classic faves

Dads Army
Minder
Are You Being Served
Mr Bean
Benny Hill Show

OMG... Fawlty Towers, and Monty Python.... and what was the space ship one... Red Dwarf? And Rising Damp.... and there was another.... Young Ones (?).... Hilarious!

There was also one that was about the couple moving to the country.... dang it... can't remember the name of it. Hubby and I tried to think of it the other day and couldn't remember. Haven't seen that one on anywhere in years.

We both love Top Gear, also. (The U.S. imitation is embarrassing.)

Thanks to PBS (our USA Public TV) and BBC America for glimpses of excellent Brit humor. :thumbsup:

Did you ever watch "It Ain't Half Hot Mum?" By today's standards pretty non-pc, but very funny.

I've never even heard of it. I'm Canadian and not a young man so I remember when a lot of our programming was british. Back in the 70s we had On the busses, Some mothers do ave em, The two Ronnies, Benny Hill, Are you being served and many more aired daily.

I download pretty much everything I watch and a large portion of that is British panel shows, quiz shows and talk shows. I guess I can relate to that dry English sarcasm.

You might enjoy it - if you type the title into the search panel over at Youtube it throws up several old episodes.

I used to enjoy Not The Nine 'O Clock News. too...and Blackadder always gave me a good laugh.

More recently I've enjoyed the Have I Got News For You show, too.

The British shows that I watched Stateside were:

Benny Hill
Are You Being Served?
Keeping Up Appearances
Mr. Bean

Having a hearing condition, I rely on captioning to be able to understand what is said as the British seem to talk very fast, at least in these shows. I would have enjoyed Monty Python and Blackadder more if they were captioned.

Slight derail: I can NEVER find any of the Beatles movies with captioning. I wish Apple Music would add captioning to the Beatles Anthology series too.

Also, while not really British but Canadian, I like the Red Green Show too.

You might enjoy it - if you type the title into the search panel over at Youtube it throws up several old episodes.

I used to enjoy Not The Nine 'O Clock News. too...and Blackadder always gave me a good laugh.

More recently I've enjoyed the Have I Got News For You show, too.

I did that after I made my last post. Funny stuff.

HAGNFY has been around forever hasn't it?

Try Youtubing 10 oclock live. David Mitchell is a genius.

Last edited:
Dr. Who, anyone? :3

One of the best British, if not general Television programs I have ever known! :D

Also fond of the British Sketch Comedy format, made famous by the Python players.

American, for shows that I enjoy.. well. Star Trek. Can't beat it! (Trek may be beaten, with a stick.)

Though, these days I lament the state of SciFi on US TV.

Not enough creativity- everyone wants to try the same thing again and again.

They've all forgotten the creative crap, and chances, the oldheads at the studios used to do. :p

I did that after I made my last post. Funny stuff.

HAGNFY has been around forever hasn't it?

Try Youtubing 10 oclock live. David Mitchell is a genius.

I did that - I wasn't familiar with 10 o'clock Live and it looks like a good program - I recognise a couple of those guys as guests on the Stephen Fry show "Q.I."

Have I Got News For You has been around for awhile, with a number of talented hosts - I've always enjoyed it.

Loved Red Dwarf back in their day, not so much the newer series. If they ever make the movie...Original cast please!

More recent, Peep Show.

I did that - I wasn't familiar with 10 o'clock Live and it looks like a good program - I recognise a couple of those guys as guests on the Stephen Fry show "Q.I."

Have I Got News For You has been around for awhile, with a number of talented hosts - I've always enjoyed it.

David Mitchell and Jimmy Carr have been on more shows than I can count, including QI.

I've seen every episode of QI. I'm waiting for the next season.

The British shows that I watched Stateside were:

Benny Hill
Are You Being Served?
Keeping Up Appearances
Mr. Bean

Having a hearing condition, I rely on captioning to be able to understand what is said as the British seem to talk very fast, at least in these shows. I would have enjoyed Monty Python and Blackadder more if they were captioned.

Slight derail: I can NEVER find any of the Beatles movies with captioning. I wish Apple Music would add captioning to the Beatles Anthology series too.

Also, while not really British but Canadian, I like the Red Green Show too.

Blackadder, thats another classic. So many classic one liners

A few recent one ive enjoyed from UK have been

Blackbooks
Peepshow
Benidorm

OMG! How did I miss this thread?

Ok, all of the above!

You can't beat the Brits for this humour...Anyone see the first show ever on the NEW 'Channel Four'..'Five go Mad In Dorset'?

LOL ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back