getting rid of those bad work habits

LaurieJim

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
im guilty of at least 2 :oops:
By Anthony Balderrama, CareerBuilder.com writer

Who doesnt have at least one habit that drives everyone else insane? You might bite your nails, slurp your coffee or tap your pen incessantly. Annoying? Yes. Serious problems? Not really.

In the office, however, some habits can go beyond annoying your co-workers; they can damage your career.

For the sake of your career and your co-workers sanity, heres a list of bad work habits that can harm your career and how you can break them. If youre guilty of one (or more), its time to get them under control.

Bad Habit: Missing deadlines.

What you think: If its only a little late, it doesnt mean anything.
What it really says: Your colleagues and boss cant count on you.
What to do: Dont view deadlines as negotiable. Remind yourself that people are counting on you to do your job well, which includes completing tasks on time. Even if you just barely missed the deadline and everything turned out OK, you probably caused your teammates a lot of anxiety and extra work, which they wont forget.

Bad Habit: Dressing unprofessionally
What you think: Im the office free spirit with a quirky sense of style!
What it really says: You dont take the job seriously.
What to do: You dont have to be a boring dresser to be professional, but you shouldnt look like youre about to go clubbing or strutting down a runway. Take a cue from your co-workers to see whats considered acceptable in the office.

Bad Habit: Not being punctual.

What you think: As long as I get all my work in, nobody cares.
What it really says: You think your time is more important than everybody elses.
What to do: Stick to the schedule. Everyone in your office would like to sleep in a little or leave early, but they dont because people rely on them to be on time.

Bad Habit: Checking your e-mail, playing games, shopping....(guilty)
What you think: Im discreet.
What it really says: Youre not doing your job.
What to do: Keep the fun stuff to a minimum. Most employers dont mind if you check your e-mail every once in awhile or read your favorite blog for a few minutes in the morning. They begin to care when you minimize that game of Scrabulous every time they walk by your desk. Youre being paid to work, not play.

Bad Habit: Gossiping.
What you think: Im just saying what I heard.
What it really says: You cant be trusted.
What to do: Sure, everybody gossips a little here and there, but it shouldnt be your livelihood. Eventually youll gain a reputation for not keeping anything confidential whether its a personal matter or work-related. Plus, your chattering could end up hurting somebodys feelings or reputation.

Bad Habit: Being negative.

What you think: Everybody complains.
What it really says: Youre the person to avoid.
What to do: Its natural to grumble about work once in awhile. If you gripe and moan when youre asked to do anything, however, people will not only get annoyed, theyll wonder why you dont just quit. Keep in mind that work isnt always fun; keep the complaints to a minimum.

Bad Habit: Trying to be everybodys best friend......(guilty)
What you think: Im just sociable.
What it really says: You dont know how to set boundaries.
What to do: Its not uncommon for friendships to develop at work, but dont expect it to happen with everybody. Unless you have reason to do otherwise, treat your superiors, colleagues and subordinates like professionals, not like drinking buddies.

Bad Habit: Burning bridges.

What you think: Ill never see them again.
What it really says: Youre not a professional who thinks about the future.
What to do: As much as you dream of telling off your boss or co-workers after youve handed in your resignation, restrain yourself. People change jobs, companies merge someone you dissed in the past may end up being your boss down the road.

Bad Habit: Always being the funny one.
What you think: People love me.
What it really says: Youre really annoying.
What to do: Theres nothing wrong with being funny most people do like a good sense of humor. Just remember that not everybody wants to hear your sarcastic quips and Godfather impersonations every five minutes.

Bad Habit: Forgetting you have neighbors.
What you think: Im not as annoying as they are.
What it really says: Youre inconsiderate.
What to do: Do unto your co-workers as youd want them to do unto you. Your hour-long conference call on speakerphone is just as irksome to your cube mates as theirs are to you.

Oh boy I'm in trouble!
I'm guilty of...
Dressing like a slut..lots of cleavage!
Being late because it doesn't matter what time I come in! I get my work done!
I gossip
I complain
And I'm always cracking jokes. Gee...I thought everyone liked me!?

Oh boy I'm in trouble!
I'm guilty of...

I gossip
I complain

That one, I know can't possibly be a bad thing, can it ? Hell no...not down here in the South anyway....:D

Oh boy I'm in trouble!
I'm guilty of...
I gossip
I complain

That one, I know can't possibly be a bad thing, can it ? Hell no...not down here in the South anyway....:D
:lolup::lolup:@rob and yes ballysdb we not only like you we love ya too!!!!...........laurie

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back