Threads:
Photos:

Latest posts

The Game Shack

Game Translating

lotusch

A little mix of Dutch and Irish
Hey guys,

I come across a lot of self employed game developers that always are looking for translators of games.
Mostly they won't pay or very little but your name will be in the game credits.

I have done German and Dutch translation once for a new mobile game but after hours of work on it they pulled the plug and it was never released. :oops:

Did anyone ever do any work like this?

I heard it can be big business if you are an experienced bi-lingual translator and people do make a living out of this.

RobDev

Administrative monkey wrench bloke
I know there is definitely a lot of indie developers who are in need of translation. Money wise, unless you find someone with a bit of funding it's hard to get. You would get your name in the credits though. The indie community is pretty awesome.

As far as I have seen though translation for the most part is a little like acting. You have to be in the right place and know the right people for it to be actually profitable. Although it is an essential thing it;s not valued as much as it should be. Even for basic translation rates on documents in business, the pay isn't great.

goatwack

Get dunked, big buns!
I worked for Square Enix for a couple of years between 09-11, you'll find my name emblazoned in a number of their games :D

Albeit the work was fun, for the first playthrough at least. But you'll find companies (used to) stick rigidly to release deadlines and so would ignore 50% of the bugs/ feedback from testers!

Unlike nowadays of course......release any old shit and do a massive Day 1 patch and several throughout the year to make the game remotely playable. And we won't talk about paywalls or DLC :eek2: