Funny misheard lyrics

chayton

aka LooHoo
webmeister
PABnonaccred
CAG
A few years ago I bought Ray a book that had listed a bunch of commonly misheard lyrics, like Hendrix "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" and we were talking about some of them earlier (When Ray used to play in the band, his brother thought Steven Tylers "Dude looks like a lady" was "Do me like a lady" lol)

Anyhow...I was just looking online and found a few that are pretty hilarious.

Top 10 from Trendhunter:

The Police “When The World Is Running Down” - “You make the best of what’s still around.”
Misheard as ”You make the best homemade stew around.”

The Bee Gees “Staying Alive” - “It’s alright. It’s okay. You may look the other way.”
Misheard as “It’s alright. It’s okay. You may make love the other way.”

Beatles “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” - “The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.”
Misheard as “The girl with colitis goes by”.

U2 “Mysterious Ways” - “She moves in mysterious ways.”
Misheard as “Shamu the mysterious whale.”

Beatles “Michelle” - “Michelle ma belle, sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble, tres bien ensemble.”
Non French speakers heard “Michelle ma belle, some say monkeys play piano well, play piano well.”

Queen “Bohemian Rhapsody” - “Scaramouche, scaramouche, will you do the Fandango.”
Misheard as “Scallaboosh, Scallaboosh, will you do the banned tango.”

The Police “Message In A Bottle” - ”A year has passed since I wrote my note.”
Misheard as “A year has passed since I broke my nose.”

David Bowie “Changes" - “Strange fascination fascinating me.”
Misheard as “Strange vaccinations are killing me.” :eek2:

Oasis “Wonderwall” - “You’re gonna be the one that saves me.”
Misheard as “You’re gonna be the one at Sainsbury’s.”

Kate Bush “Wuthering Heights” - “Heathcliff! It’s me, Cathy and I’ve come home oh, so cold, let me in-a your window.”
Misheard as “It’s me; I’m a tree, I’m a wombat. Oh, so cold at the end of your winter.”

:)lolup: I'm a tree, I'm a wombat)

And a couple more

"Here we are now, in containers." (Real lyric: "Here we are now, entertain us," Nirvana)
"In a glob of Velveeta, honey." (Real lyric: "In-A-Gadda Da Vida," Iron Butterfly)
"Might as well face it, you're a dick with a glove." (Real lyric:"Might as well face it, your addicted to love," Robert Palmer)
"There's a bathroom on the right." (Real lyric "There's a bad moon on the rise," CCR)

And to round it off, here's an awesome video of Joe Cocker at Woodstock, someone has subtitled it with what it 'sounds' like he's singing. This is awesome, it still cracks me up. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a teenager, Seals and Croft's "Summer Breeze" was always playing on the radio. "Summer Breeze, makes me feel fine. Blowing through a javolin in my mind" Is what I heard. I still do.

Beatles “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” - “The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.”
Misheard as “The girl with colitis goes by”.

LOL.

Here in Spain people don't speak english so good so we make up a lot of the song lirycs... I have a friend who inexplicably thought that in lady Gaga's Poker face she said "He can't read my Bobba Fett" instead of poker face... :eek2:

OMG... I love these things.... what are they called.... on the tip of my tongue... mondegreens? Dang... gotta leave for work, will look it up later if I get a chance.

AC-DC -- 'dirty deeds done dirt cheap' ... I heard 'dirty deacon and the dunder chiefs' ...

OMG... I love these things.... what are they called.... on the tip of my tongue... mondegreens? Dang... gotta leave for work, will look it up later if I get a chance.

AC-DC -- 'dirty deeds done dirt cheap' ... I heard 'dirty deacon and the dunder chiefs' ...

You are spot-on Mousey:

"A mondegreen is the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result of near homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning."

Paul Young

'Everytime you go away, you take a piece of ME with you'

When I was younger I always thought it was - Everytime you go away, you take a piece of MEAT with you :)

Nate

:lolup: hahaha....those are all awesome! We could do another book!

Ok a couple more, one that Ray got requested when he played: "Slow talking Walter, the fire engine guy" (Smoke on the water, Deep Purple)

Also when I was in Phoenix my roomie was Mexican and so I heard a lot of Latin music, one songs chorus was repeated "escúchame" (which is "listen to me") but I heard "Screw chow mein"

My wife used to loudly sing "take my picture" whenever "smack my bitch up" by the prodigy was on. Such an innocent mind!

We listen to the oldies when I work. This young punk singing at the top of his lungs to Manfred Manns' Blinded by the Light...Almost spewed my coffee across the kitchen!

...wrapped up like a 'douche!' LMFAOOOOOOO

Last edited by a moderator:
33nb9ld.jpg

I will try think of a few more, but one that used to always make me crack up was.

Cold Chisel's Cheap Wine.

What most people heard (including me as a young fella) "Cheap wine and a three legged goat" The actual lyrics are "Cheap wine and a three day growth"

Oh Mousey, thats fantastic. I too was belting out "Dirty Beets and the Thunder Chiefs". :D

My other one (also posted on Wikipedia, so atleast I know Im not alone.)

"Blinded by the Light," a cover of a Bruce Springsteen song by the Manfred Mann's Earth Band (for which they rewrote the lyric in the chorus), contains what has been called "probably the most misheard lyric of all-time": "revved up like a deuce" is frequently misheard as "wrapped up like a douche".

oh another one that must be mentioned is "Louie Louie" which most people can't make out the real lyrics to. Parents of the day complained it was obscene (even getting the Feds involved) and some people still believe they can hear those words. Read the myth on
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
or
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Just until five minutes ago, I thought Bowie's "Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes (turn and face the strain)" was turn and face the STRANGE :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back