FAQ - What have I missed?

Simmo!

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Joined
May 29, 2004
Location
England
Hi chap(esse)s,

Inspired by a few PM's with questions on various subjects I've put together a kind of FAQ (Outdated URL (Invalid)) trying to cover a load of things that people might want to know about online casinos when starting out.

It's not designed to suggest casinos or stuff like that. It's intended as a factual (I hope!) resource based around the online casino "experience" and I'd be interested to know - it being a while since I started out - if I've forgotten anything, or not covered a topic that people might want some info on.

I'm thinking of adding a "strategies" section too so if anyone has any ideas for that (ie: strategies!) please PM me and I'll add them if they are useful and well detailed...hell I'll even name them after you if they are unique enough :D

Its not graphically sophisticatd (understatement!) but hopefully the navigation is comprehensive and easy to follow. Any help, additions, errors or omissions, let me know - always appreciated. Oh and if anyone knows of any really truly unique pages of info that are worth mentioning, let me know. I'm not after standard casino reviews, bonus lists etc, but personal and unique "life experience" stuff from players.

Cheers,

Simmo!
 

Simmo!

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Joined
May 29, 2004
Location
England
vinylweatherman said:
......like 3 days in Berlin and a Football match? :D

Haha - bastard..I'm jealous :D My g/f wants to know if you're going to stick the tickets on ebay and take the cash instead?
 

Vesuvio

Dormant account
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
UK
I was shocked by your comments on eCOGRA, Simmo..................................................................... terrible misuse of the apostrophe :p "It's contentious largely because of it's background" &, "As mentioned it has it's detractors".

Yep, I did disagree with the content there as well, but this isn't the place :) Talking of which, don't you think a thread asking for input on a personal website should be kept in the Webmaster forums (if not promos)? I'm not saying these pages themselves aren't fine, but a thread like this is also going to attract traffic to your full-blown affiliate pages.
 

Simmo!

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Joined
May 29, 2004
Location
England
LOL. The apostrophe will be fixed V :)

Vesuvio said:
Talking of which, don't you think a thread asking for input on a personal website should be kept in the Webmaster forums (if not promos)?

Yes, if it was an affiliate site. I wouldn't have posted it here if was and it's player experience that will ultimately help others avoid the problems. As you know, these pages are totally "affiliate link-free" and none of the pages plug mine (or other people's) affiliate sites. Hell I don't even mention my sites in the "About Me" section :)

You'll find a handful of "in-context" external links to the Reverse Withdrawal datasheet, to Casinomeister and the Wizard Of Odds (from memory) where the pages referenced are specifically adding to the information. If I find pages with categorisations of casinos from third parties that are useful to the punter and unique then I would add them if they were in-context and I wouldn't mind if that person was an affiliate if he/she's providing valuable well-researched info (ie The Wizard's Video Poker tables) that I can't otherwise lay my hands on. But hey, if you can point me at a site with as much information for the player as that, that doesn't have for-profit casino links in, I'll forgive you the cynicism ;)

Actually...thinking about it...and having just justified it's existance to you I know not why LOL...isn't this the basic premise of what an affiliate site should be anyway? "Real" information? Maybe I should add casino links after all :p

Cheers

Simmo!
 
Last edited:

Vesuvio

Dormant account
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
UK
Simmo! said:
Yes, if it was an affiliate site. I wouldn't have posted it here if was and it's player experience that will ultimately help others avoid the problems. As you know, these pages are totally "affiliate link-free" and none of the pages plug mine (or other people's) affiliate sites. Hell I don't even mention my sites in the "About Me" section :)
I'd agree if the site wasn't posted at the same web domain as your affiliate pages, and you didn't have links to your sites in your signature here. You know drawing attention to a site on your website will increase traffic. Yeah, I know I'm helping too :)
Simmo! said:
Actually...thinking about it...and having just justified it's existance to you I know not why LOL...isn't this the basic premise of what an affiliate site should be anyway? IE: Useful (well, hopefully!). Maybe I should add casino links after all :p
:lolup: If it helps I do consider you an honourable exception to the rule for what affiliate sites are :thumbsup:
 

Vesuvio

Dormant account
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
UK
In my role as resident proof-reader :cool:

In "Shady Casino Tactics": "fall fould" and "elligible".

In "Casino loyalty bonuses": "scshem" for scheme

"What not to do": "the downisde"

"Miscellaneous": capitalise "those" :D (details, details...)

"Role of affiliate": "aswell"

"Look for affiliate sites run by players and which gives honest opinions." (I'm not sure that follows)

The only substantial criticism I'd make content-wise is in relation to bonuses.
Do NOT join a casino based on the generosity of their signup bonus
While I'd also recommend that for the uninformed newbie, or the player solely out for "entertainment" and happy to lose, your website is meant to be informing players, and seems to assume a certain patience and intelligence. At the very least you should point out that, trouble as they are, bonuses are the only way the player's going to be likely to win long term at on-line casinos. The information on "budgeting" is all very well, but financially the player would be much better off at a site that carefully explained how to take advantage of bonuses.

p.s. "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is" would be a financially disastrous motto to rely on where bonuses are concerned. And yes, there are free lunches as well :p (they just take some finding!)
 
Last edited:

Simmo!

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Joined
May 29, 2004
Location
England
Vesuvio said:
I'd agree if the site wasn't posted at the same web domain as your affiliate pages, and you didn't have links to your sites in your signature here. You know drawing attention to a site on your website will increase traffic. Yeah, I know I'm helping too :)

LOL - thanks :) Okay It's true I'm not quite a registered charity yet but for what it's worth, from my stats, no-one has yet "crossed over" and there have been a lot of visitors to these pages so far. And hey, even if they do, it's probably because they appreciate the information :p

vesuvio said:
If it helps I do consider you an honourable exception to the rule for what affiliate sites are :thumbsup:

Haha - thanks. I knew I liked you for a reason :D

Thanks for the proof-reading by the way. It took about 3 months to research and write up that lot and my eyes have gone all squidgy :) I'll fix them up.

Your point on bonuses is good - I was actually thinking about asking KasinoKing to contribute a section on how to make the most of bonuses to provide some balance. Not sure he will, but you can only ask and he obviously knows his stuff in this area.

Cheers

Simmo!
 

Casinomeister

Forum Cheermeister
Staff member
Joined
Jun 30, 1998
Location
Bierland
Vesuvio said:
Talking of which, don't you think a thread asking for input on a personal website should be kept in the Webmaster forums (if not promos)? I'm not saying these pages themselves aren't fine, but a thread like this is also going to attract traffic to your full-blown affiliate pages.
I believe Simmo! is asking for player input, and only those who are registered webmasters in this forum are allowed to post in the webmaster section.
 

Simmo!

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Joined
May 29, 2004
Location
England
Casinomeister said:
I believe Simmo! is asking for player input, and only those who are registered webmasters in this forum are allowed to post in the webmaster section.

yes. But even then I wouldn't do that if the site was an affiliate-link site.
 

Casinomeister

Forum Cheermeister
Staff member
Joined
Jun 30, 1998
Location
Bierland
Simmo! said:
yes. But even then I wouldn't do that if the site was an affiliate-link site.
Goes to show I haven't checked the site out yet :D
 

vinylweatherman

You type well loads
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Location
United Kingdom
Footie

Simmo! said:
Haha - bastard..I'm jealous :D My g/f wants to know if you're going to stick the tickets on ebay and take the cash instead?


Hard luck, this is not allowed in the terms of the promotion, and besides which, you would be turned away at the stadium by FIFA security because such ticket transfers are not allowed by them.

I have never been out of the UK before, nor flown on a plane (business class I might add:D ). Having now spent good money on a passport, I cannot let it go to waste now, sorry:)

As to me being a bastard, not so, my parents married in 1959 and I was born in 1961 - this was required information for my passport application.
 

Macgyver

Dormant account
PABnononaccred
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Location
North Carolina
Vesuvio said:
In my role as resident proof-reader :cool:

"Look for affiliate sites run by players and which gives honest opinions." (I'm not sure that follows)

OK, English teacher time ... ;)

The original "Look for affiliate sites run by players and which give honest opinions." is correct. You have to look at the original noun (sites) to determine the verb tense.

For example, "Look for affiliate sites ... which give honest opinions." The verb "give" directly relates to the plural noun "sites".

Class dismissed ... :thumbsup:
 

Vesuvio

Dormant account
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
UK
Macgyver said:
For example, "Look for affiliate sites ... which give honest opinions." The verb "give" directly relates to the plural noun "sites".

Class dismissed ... :thumbsup:
Right you are, Macgyver, except I quoted exactly what Simmo wrote, i.e. the wrong version, and highlighted what needed changing :D
 

cheekymonkey

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Location
The Smog
vinylweatherman said:
Hard luck, this is not allowed in the terms of the promotion, and besides which, you would be turned away at the stadium by FIFA security because such ticket transfers are not allowed by them.

My work colleague bought two tickets on ebay for SPAIN v UKRAINE. He had no problems entering the stadium. He was not asked for ID or anything like that.

I hope you have a good time anyway.

Apparently, the atmosphere is electric.

EDIT

Don't forget to use the 'Club Lounges' at the airport. Better than sitting with all the riff-raff.
 

Slotster!

I predict a riot.
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Location
Location, Location!
Finally got to have a good look!

I have to say Simmo - top notch job!

Very easy to see that it's been compiled from an experienced player's perspective - and invaluable to anyone contemplating online casino's for the first time. Nice work sir! :thumbsup:
 
Top