Exhaustion?

Brooklyn

Dormant account
Ok, so when people used to say to me "Exhaustion is a real sickness" I used to laugh at them, until recently. I am emotionally spent, exhausted and gosh darn tired. I didn't even know that it was possible to be this worn out. I haven't slept much, in and out of hospitals with my daughter, another medical center this week with my youngest daughter, and the next week after that cardiologist with my sons. This is all on top of daily stress of having five kids, housework, life..etc.

I can't sleep because I have two babies, and my mind is always going a million miles a minute and for the life of me I can't get caught up with work. I can't work from where I am at the moment, so it's just getting worse. I am sitting at this computer in a daze, and I really feel like my head has been replaced with someone elses. LOL I know that sounds ridic.

So my question is, has anyone ever suffered from real "exhaustion", like medical exhaustion, or is it all in my head. I feel like I am damn near a mental breakdown and searching on google is just making it worse. I may have a panic attack about having a panic attack at any minute and just wondering if this "exhaustion" thing is for real. I know BingoT is a nurse and many others out there, so please refrain from laughing at my silly question because it is definitely genuine.

If it is a real medical diagnosis, how is it treated? I am a bit confused, and as I said earlier...Google isn't helping.

Thanks!

It's real and can be very serious. Talk to your doctor. Is there a friend/family member you trust who can take the reins for a few hours so you can "get away" once or twice a week? Walking away for a bit doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you human. And the slight break will help you re-focus on what's most important.

Unfortunately there are no friends or family members out here at the moment. My mother in law is all we have and she is going through some pretty heavy chemo treatements, so she is very fragile and weak. Also, all my family is in Vegas so it's hard. This is the hardest month of my life, patience and sanity wise, and it's not letting up it seems. I really am starting to believe I am suffering from medical exhaustion. While I am taking care of everyone else I sometimes forget to take care of Josephine. I will call Dr. office tomorrow and set an appointment! Thanks Ksech.

Yes, I have gone through something similar. And it can be quite frightening.

The feeling of being extremely exhausted, but at the same time not being able to sleep is really frustrating. One can be so exhausted that you don't manage to do simple everyday tasks like making dinner, cleaning etc.

Yes, it is a real medical diagnosis. It is usually treated with therapy (to my knowledge, I'm no doctor :) ).

Good luck !

Google isn't always your friend when it comes to trying to diagnose something, you're best to just hear it from your doctor, and if you're prone to anxiety and panic attacks, you're better off not even thinking about it until then.

Also, if you can get away for an hour two, go for a massage. I went for a "Healing Stone" massage with my wife a while ago (they use hot stones and oil) when I was stressed out, it was very relaxing and made me feel much better.

If you can't get away, try to find something to do like a puzzle or a game that takes logical thinking to do. I find puzzle type games with time limits allow me to totally focus on that and finally stop thinking about the million things that are stressing me out.

OMG a massage would be fantastical. I am sure I will be ok, and yes I am very prone to anxiety issues. So google is not my friend at the moment. Thanks for the response. I think I need to just get home in my own bed and sleep for a day or two. Hospital beds aren't the best for a good nights sleep, no matter if you use your own pillow and blanket! I have been home, back to the hospital, back home and you guessed it..back to the darn hospital.

I am not in the hospital anymore, so that is a step in the right direction! Now, I just have to get home...get a nanny and book a massage. STAT!

Definitely a trip to the doctor is in order, get them to do a full blood workup on you. Stress can be a big part of what you're going through, but it's possible that it could be something like low iron or hypoglycemia (not eating properly) or maybe even a thyroid thing. See if your doctor will give you a vitamin B-12 shot, that might help too. I'd get one every day if I could.

And you have to take some time for yourself, even if it's just for a few hours a couple of times a week. Have someone take your kids to the playground and soak in a bubble bath or dance naked to punk rock or just lie on the couch and watch Oprah. Whatever it is, just make sure it's not laundry or cooking or stuff you can do when the kids are home - make the most of your alone time to do something you WANT to do, not something you need to do. :)

BTW something about your new avatar reminds me of Betty Boop!

Hey Sweets the first step is please have some blood work done.
How is your blood pressure each day?
Symptoms can get the best of you.& it can affect muscles in your body.

This all has to do with work, raise kids,care for loved ones and stay afloat financially this can drain the best of us. But did you know that exhaustion could be due to an undiagnosed medical condition we all don't know about.

To help you you have to eat a good balanced diet & years ago they use to say exercise was not good & now they say do it.
You may need some sort of an antidepressant or a blood pressure med to help control this.
Oh and if you smoke try to cut back too.
& if you ever need to talk to someone on the phone I will be happy to help.
Talking to someone will help also.
I wish my sweet MommyMachine the very best.
~T~

From my own experience Google it's not your friend when it comes to any type of self-diagnosis. Maybe it's just me, but the internet always seems to skew to the 'worst case scenario' first when you google anything like that. Hypochondriacs like me are certainly best off avoiding it otherwise I'd get the sniffles and let the internet convince me it was the plague or something. :)

That said... Google DOES have it's uses:

arizona nanny services -
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

NannyTemps™ are available for almost any length of time, and type of service you need, including babysitting! NannyTemps™ are always available, and they can begin work for you on as little as 24-hours notice.

Day Spas in Arizona:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

(lots more where that came from....)

Take it easy MommyMachine. Remember to look after yourself as much as everyone else.

Very closely related to stress. I'd say some Diazepam should help, you just need help to unwind and to stop when you get the chance, whilst also being aware you need to look after the young ones

Thanks everyone. I got a couple hours of sleep, my daughter seems to be doing ok with the new meds although they are pretty strong and just knock her out for the most part. She was on Haldol and it made her muscles spasm something horrible. They started her on Seroquel and I hope this one works well in the long run. She is only 9 and is on some pretty powerful meds, meds for adults really.

I am going home in a few to get to work. Most of the people I write for have been way patient with me and I have to get some stuff done. After I get my content out for the day, I will definitely look into that nanny place Plex Rep! Thanks for that. Ohh and the day spa too! I am so tired ALL of the time. I know it's stress, or at least I think it is, if it's something else...sighh I don't know if I can take much more at this point. Anyway, I will call DR. first thing this morning to get an appointment as well.

@Chayton- B12 shots are a good idea. My roomate/husband/kids father lol takes them for MS. He says they make him feel better, so I may look into that. Also, I haven't been eating, I guess that is because for the most part I forget to, so it may very well be the blood sugar thing. LOL @ Betty Boop :p

@Bingo, I think my blood pressure is fine, it's my sanity I am not too sure about. :D I excersize, I mean maybe not intentionally, but with 2 two year olds I am getting one hell of a work out. I just ordered the P90x program and will start that in the next day or two, maybe that will help relax me...in a strenuous way lol. As far as the sex thing goes, well...everytime that happens a kid pops out so I may stay away from that for a while haha.:lolup: Oh my!

@Rhyzz- Valium is my friend. Thanks :p

Just to chime in here real quick :D

If you're feeling completely exhausted and/or totally depressed, I'd suggest a check-up with your doc. You could be suffering from a vitamin deficiency, or something of that nature.

With that in mind, you need to ensure you are exercising properly (at least 45 minutes cardio 3x weekly - running, biking, swimming, aerobics) and have a well balanced nutritional diet.

As mentioned before - massage will relieve stress and revive your circulatory system. In Germany, they are commonly prescribed by one's doctor. Then on top of that - quiet time. At least 30-45 minutes a day where you can sit and turn your mind off - preferably in a quiet dark room.

And of course, stay away from drugs and <gasp> alcohol. These will only screw up your body and mind.

Relax and be healthy - that's the bottom line :D

Hey Mommy

Like others have said, see a medical professional to make sure that it is nothing serious.
But, Chayton hit the nail on the head with B-12 shots. They will make you feel GREAT. I suspect that you may be energy deficient due to stress, lack of sleep, and possibly nutrient deficient.

I also find that PRAYER works wonders.

Prayer as defined by a small window of time where you are in a truly quiet place where you can talk to God and you can listen to Him. I know you are a 'mommy machine!' with the babies, that's why I say a small window of time in a nearby room or the same room when they are sleeping. Prayer also gives your soul a chance to renew it's energy hence supplying energy to your mind and body.

Have a great day!

Oh, and I forgot sleep. Force yourself to sleep at least eight hours a day. Sleep deprivation will totally screw your body and mind up.

Some good tips here, I'm going to try some myself!

Regarding B-12, don't take it in pill form because you won't get much benefit - and the jury is out on trying the sublingual liquid B-12. Some people say it's almost as good as getting a shot, some people say it's useless.

But I've read that if you can get it into your nose it works! One site I read said that you could crush B-12 and add to water and stick the paste up your nose! :eek2: But you can find it in a nasal spray at most health/wellness stores, and it's supposed to work really well. I don't know how much of a hassle or expense it is for you to get yourself to a doctor for a shot, so the nasal spray is an alternative, and you can use it whenever you feel the need.

I also thought of two other things - whenever I get run down or too busy to eat properly I buy Ensure or Boost and drink a little of that throughout the day. The other thing is to stay hydrated, make sure you're drinking your 8 glasses of water a day. If you don't drink enough water, force yourself to do it for a week and you'd be surprised how much better you feel. :)

I do not want to be guilty of speaking harshly, but I need to tell you this.

Valium, Xanax, or any derivative is not good for you. It can put you over the edge if depressed. It can be addictive. It can make people more depressed when they use it.

There are lots of good sleep aids that your doctor can prescribe that will help you sleep and wake up refreshed, not groggy.

Every one here has given good advice to you. The most important one is to see your doctor and spill the beans to him. He will order blood work to make sure you are not harboring any illness that is not letting your body work well for you.

I hope some of the suggestions from your friends work for you. And of course, mine. ;)

I have an appointment tomorrow at 3:30 and I already talked to him on the phone and gave him the rundown. I feel a little better, just got home cooked dinner, cleaned up a bit and finally sitting down to get some work done.

I don't take Valium actually. I do however take Klonopin for anxiety, and have done so for over 11 years. I take 4mg a day, and that's like taking an aspirin for me, no drowsiness or side effects anymore. It keeps my anxiety down and keeps me stable. Sleeping medicine is something I may have to talk to the Dr. about tomorrow. I am having a terrible time sleeping, and tonight will be the real test, in my own bed. :oops:

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice, it's much appreciated.

I have an appointment tomorrow at 3:30 and I already talked to him on the phone and gave him the rundown. I feel a little better, just got home cooked dinner, cleaned up a bit and finally sitting down to get some work done.

I don't take Valium actually. I do however take Klonopin for anxiety, and have done so for over 11 years. I take 4mg a day, and that's like taking an aspirin for me, no drowsiness or side effects anymore. It keeps my anxiety down and keeps me stable. Sleeping medicine is something I may have to talk to the Dr. about tomorrow. I am having a terrible time sleeping, and tonight will be the real test, in my own bed. :oops:

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice, it's much appreciated.

Good luck tomorrow, and please keep us updated if you feel like it :D

sleep, anxiety and magnesium

I thought I would chime in MM! I would also suggest magnesium supplement, along with B12. If you google <sorry!> magnesium, you will see interesting info since something like 65% of us are deficient in it which can lead to all kinds of problems like insommnia, anxiety and a whole plethora of other problems (including diabetes, heart problems, etc.)

I just got on a regime of a product called "Calm" magnesium supplement (pleasant lemon flavoured crystals you add to hot water and drink, which I take before going to bed) for my own insommnia (i.e. waking up at 4 a.m. and often not getting back to sleep). I have taken it for less than a week and have already begun sleeping better nightly. I still wake up mid night (pee time! :oops:) but I have been able to get back to sleep every night since starting, until the alarm wakes me up in the morning!

I don't mean to underestimate the pressure on you with caring for all your young baby children... that alone is an incredible amount of work and responsibility which will no doubt exhaust you, and understandably tire you out more than anything. Hopefully you can get some more support and relief and figure in some time to nurture yourself! Remember, there are no points awarded for being Super (burnt out) Mom!

All the best to you and take good care!

I googled the Calm supplement and it sounds great. I may have to look into that once I get back from the Dr. tomorrow. I literally am so behind at work I think that is my biggest stressor at the moment. I just need to sit down and put together a list of what I need to write because I am so out of it I sat here and wrote for a couple of hours, and did repeats of reviews I had already done. Phew, maybe I should wait to go back to work until I see the Dr. I am no good to anyone right now.

I booked a massage on Thursday! Can't wait. Again thanks to everyone about the advice. I have never been so tired but can't sleep in my life. Ok, off to bed in a few, hopefully I will be able to sleep more than 2 hours tonight now that I am in my own home!

Goodnight fellow meisters!

Just got back from Dr. My blood pressure was high, pulse rate was 122 and they said I looked how I felt...So they gave me sleeping meds and ordered me to bed as soon as I got home, which is exactly what I am going to do! I am going to the Holiday Inn tomorrow , by myself to just sleep and relax, no kids, no husband, no computer...So two days of sleeping should help. I just hope that I can actually sleep. :oops:

Thanks for all the advice I definitely appreciate it!

Thanks,
Josephine

Just my own receipt:

1. Good sex.
2. Good shower.
3. Good massage.
4. Good sleep.
5. Good meal after #1 and #4

It always helps me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back