"Draw" for Euro 2020 - A Joke?

lotusch

A little mix of Dutch and Irish
Not sure if people follow this but the way the "draw" will take place for the Euro 2020 football championships is the least to say a lousy one.
Even before the draw has taken place some groups have already formed partially.

Belgium already knows it will be placed in a group with Russia and Denmark.
The Netherlands already knows it will be in a group with Ukraine and IF Romania makes it through the play offs they will also be added into this group.
This means both Belgium and The Netherlands already know 2 of the 3 opponents before the draw even has been done and only will find out Friday who they will get out of POT 4.

Some football players also have commented on this via their Twitter Channels or other social media, like for example Kevin De Bruyne.

Years ago it was just a full open draw, now it is all pre-determined by geo locations, political risks (some countries cannot be put in the same group), financial reasons, commercial reasons etc etc etc.

What is your opinion about that guys?

anddi32

Yes full joke. In Finland we already know that our group will be A or B. All other groups are impossible to join for us.

lotusch

Well Ukraine and Romania wouldn't be a bad draw for us, but it defeats the excitement of the draw :)

lotusch

Can't wait to be drawn in group A.
Could work out for us a trip to Baku,Rome then back to Baku

At least yous made it, watched the game last night.
Great spirit in the Welsh team and Ramsay is so underestimated sometimes.
Great target player.

Welshy88

Experienced Member
At least yous made it, watched the game last night.
Great spirit in the Welsh team and Ramsay is so underestimated sometimes.
Great target player.

i think we have a better team then Euro 2016 team some exciting players get out of the group and I would be happy.

anddi32

And gratz to Finland for qualifying ^^
Thanks. Our first qualifiers were 1938 (world cup). Since then no good result in qualifiers (world cup or european champs). Thank god in 2019 it finally happened. So we needed only 81 years to qualify. :D

goatwack

Get dunked, big buns!
Okey dokey, so here's hoping Germany draw Wales and Finland somewhere down the line

goatwack

Get dunked, big buns!
Maybe with some luck England can blag their way past other teams' Under-13s and B-Teams en route to another Semi-Final bye

sufferinsilence

MM
Basically countries that don't provide a stadium are being punished. Now, it's a damn shame we (Belgium) couldn't provide one but that shouldn't work against us. A draw for a tournament should be open, after all these are the best teams in Europe.

If countries can't be in groups with some others because of political reasons those countries shouldn't be allowed to participate, simple as that. What if they meet eachother further on in the tournament? Empty stadium?

lotusch

not if we (Iceland) have anything to do with it :D but first we got to go through playoffs in Mars :)

I really do hope they make the play offs but it will be difficult.
Only 1 of 4 teams will go through.

I always had a soft spot for Iceland, even when they butt wiped The Netherlands, we were simply not good enough those years.

Now we are back with a young and very talented team.

goatwack

Get dunked, big buns!
Group F not a complete pisstake at all, with Germany, France & Portugal so far

Maybe throw in 1970 Brazil and the Harlem Globetrotters too, why not eh

lotusch

Whahaha yeah the German group is sweeeeeet...

I am happy with our group, looks good to qualify for knock out stages ^^

Hoping Ireland will qualify too but I am afraid that will be a bridge too far for them..

dunover

Unofficial T&C's Editor
Staff member
webmeister
PABnonaccred
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm3
In the group, England's games will all be at Wembley. Assuming they win the group we would have to play either Portugal, Germany or France in the first knockout in Dublin. If not, last 16 would be in Copenhagen against the 2nd. team from Spain's group.

Russia couldn't be drawn with Ukraine, England against the Irish republic and I think there was a few other fixtures with security issues. We could still play Sturgeon's Stormtroopers though if they get through their play-off games, because they would be in our group.