Do you take your shoes off?

Tirilej

Still a Lady
CAG
MM
That maybe sounds like a stupid question, but habits are hard to break you know:D

In Sweden people always take their shoes off when they get home, or visiting someone else. That's the first thing they do...always.
One of my brothers lived in Denmark for many years and in some, but not all homes people kept their shoes on.

Last summer I was a couple of months in Holland and I just couldn't get use to keep my shoes on. You take all dirt from the streets inside and it can't be so nice to your feets either:rolleyes:
Nope, they didn't sleep with them on!

So how are your feets doing in all other countries around the world?:D

When I loved in Indonesia, you'd leave them outside..to wear them in was incredibly rude. ( kinda sucked I always had to kick them for scorpions)

In my home, I generally say ' keep em on" but its all marble flooring so we sweep anyway

In Germany - you take them off. In our house, you don't get caught wearing shoes indoors unless you are coming or going, and only in the foyer. When we visit friends in winter, we bring house shoes along which are like slippers.

In my wifes house, you take your shoes off !

I've lived in Denmark most of my life, and I think the normal...and polite thing to do, is take off your shoes...seems to be the general opinion in Canada as well. As with everything else, I think it's a mix of enheritance and environment, more than "country".....AND whether your socks have holes in them or not ...lol

You might as well ask if people drink in Sweden ... well...Swedes definately drink more, when they visit Denmark ;)

In my house it's hit or miss, lol. If we are running in to get something no need to take them off. But if we are staying in they are off.

I have never removed my shoes at a friend or relatives house. We don't do that where we live.

I was raised to take my shoes off in the house, whether it's my own, or someone else's (house....not shoes ;)), and you're absolutely right, that habbits are hard to break. I always take my shoes off, even when people say "keep'em on"...It just doesn't seem right. I blame my mom :lolup:

I tell my company to keep their shoes on unless it's wet and mucky outside, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I usually wear some kind of slippers in the house, but whenever I go to someone else's house I take my shoes off.

In England I think generally most do wear shoes in the house, or used to at least. Certainly we did when I was growing up and with my first wife.
But my current wife comes from The Czech Republic where taking shoes off at the door is the norm - and so she insists we do that here.
I think it's a total pain (if my shoes are dry & not dirty) - but I have to do what I am told! :(

KK

I'd have to put them on first! I think the last time I wore shoes was once last winter, because of snow. If it had just been cold, I wouldn't have. Going to the doctors last winter............ I usually wear flip-flops if I go anywhere and those come off as soon as I hit the door.

I have a severe hatred for shoes.............. I get it from my grandma! She was the same way!

We wear slippers around the house but allow others to keep their shoes on. I think most in Texas are shoes on, though I do have a few family / friends that require you take your shoes off when entering the house.

Definitely shoes off at the door (inside) here. I would get mad if someone wore their shoes in my house, no matter how clean they look. Like LaHutti said, I also feel uncomfortable wearing my shoes in someone else's house if they tell me to leave them on.

I think that's pretty much the norm in Canada, at least it is in Sask. Even some businesses, like the dentist I go to, make you take your shoes off at the door.

I take them off

I don't like shoes in general so as soon as I come in the door, they are off my feet. But, I was not raised to take shoes off when entering my home or someone else's. I have light color carpet and initially said I wanted people to take off their shoes. But that never stuck. I wish I had though. I have a 8 month old that is starting to crawl and all I can think about is no matter that we've cleaned the carpet there are tons of deep down in those fibers. But, hey I survived crawling on floors as did everyone else so he'll be alright, I guess :)

Yeah, most people don't take their shoes off in Holland - but in my circles they do, except for my parents' house (marble floor, always shoes on). In my home, first thing I do is take them off - much more comfy :)

... I think that's pretty much the norm in Canada ....

Agreed, certainly in the West. Out East it seems to vary, at least that was what I saw.

Now I live in Paris and for some inexplicable reason the streets in many neighbourhoods are basically a toilet: dog crap is common and urine everywhere (not just from dogs either!). I've walked this city A LOT and I know it's a horrible thing to say but the poorer, more immigrant-dominated the quartier -- like my area for instance -- the more toilet activity from pets and people there is on the streets. For instance it's not that uncommon in the North and East parts of the city for a parent to walk their toddler over to a tree or curb, hike down the kid's pants and there they go, doing their business. What, kid waste is somehow better than everyone else's? When we first encountered this we thought we'd found ourselves back in the Middle Ages. Now we just look the other way and try to keep the disgust from being too obvious. To be fair though the posh neighbourhoods are quite a bit cleaner and you're a lot less likely to pass someone relieving themselves in public.

When tourists swoon about Paris being "so romantic" I often wonder if it's the dogs pooping on the sidewalk or the guys pissing on every wall in sight that they are referring to. Personally I don't find either very "romantic".

Anyway, you'd imagine that Parisians would be religious about removing their shoes at the door but most don't. We have to ask visitors to do so, often warning them in advance that we will be asking it of them. When workmen come they almost never comply: their favourite trick is to step outside, talk on their cellphones for a few minutes and then walk right in when your back is turned as if they've completely forgotten your request. It's a good thing we have hardwood floors. They get washed a lot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In Quebec, Canada you have to take off your shoes otherwise it would be considered very rude.

Eating with your hat on is also considered rude.

Which reminds me of this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a damn comfy pair of nike air max trainers, so I keep my shoes on.

We don't have any carpet in our house, all wooden flooring, so we don't really care unless the soles of the shoes are covered with muck.

But most of the time everyone has slippers on in the house, other than visitors.:)

Thanks everyone for answering my question:thumbsup:
We are certainly having strange habits and I'm not only thinking about shoes. This was an easy question, but interesting anyway.
I especially liked to hear about how it is on the streets in Paris Max. It was a lot like that up here too maybe 15 years ago, but they changed the rules so no dogpoop anywhere, not even in the parks. There are special plasticbags for that kind;)

Lets see what the next question will be. Dogpoop maybe:D

Thanks everyone for answering my question:thumbsup:
We are certainly having strange habits and I'm not only thinking about shoes. This was an easy question, but interesting anyway.
I especially liked to hear about how it is on the streets in Paris Max. It was a lot like that up here too maybe 15 years ago, but they changed the rules so no dogpoop anywhere, not even in the parks. There are special plasticbags for that kind;)

Lets see what the next question will be. Dogpoop maybe:D

Where I live we get fined if we don't pick up our dog poop. It's a law. I got caught once, all my bags in my car were gone, so I take the dogs out and there was an animal control guy right where I was, as soon as my dog pooped and I didn't pick it up, he started his car and came over to me and said "are you going to pick that up?" I'm like ummm, yes. I went back to my car and had to use a pair of mittens I had, I didn't have anything else. :laugh:

Our parks have bags for the public to use, and signs everywhere about the law, but where I was there wasn't any, it wasn't a park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back