Dane wins Asian Poker Classic

jetset

RIP Brian
A.P.C. HONOURS TAKEN BY HOSTRUP

Danish player beats out 143 field to win in India

Danish player Carl Hostrup took the lion's share of the $1 million prizepool on offer at this week's Asian Poker Classic competition for poker pros, held for the first time in India.

The tournament reflected the truly international nature of major poker events such as this, attracting players from 15 countries, with the final table occupied by players from Denmark, Great Britain, India, Poland, Sweden and Vietnam.

Another Scandinavian, Samuel Lehtonen from Sweden battled with Hostrup at the end but finished second, nevertheless collecting a healthy bank balance booster of $165 000 for his efforts. Representing the host nation, Pranav Bathija claimed third place and $97 000.

Hostrup, who was paid the winner's prize of $320 000 said: "This is my biggest tournament win, and I still cannot believe that I am the champion. I came up with a strategy on how to play the final table, and combined with my positive attitude, played my way to first place."

The Goa locale at which the APC was held attracted a number of big-name players such as Ross Boatman, Mark Goodwin, Mel Judah, Lee Nelson, Surinder Sunar and Willie Tann.

Imran Hassan, the director of operations said that the global nature of poker meant that big-win competitions attracted top players from around the world, with India establishing its credentials as a top venue for this sort of tournament. "We are extremely proud of the success of this year's Asian Poker Classic and hope that it provides the platform for the future growth and development of the game in India," he said.

Third placed Pranav Bathija may well be a new poker star that we'll all hear more of in the years, and tournaments, that lie ahead. This Indian player only learned the game of Texas Hold Em by visiting online poker sites a few months ago, yet played with sufficient skill and confidence to make the final table and was one of the last three players standing out of a 143 expert field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back