CV2 number required?

jackpotchecker

Dormant account
Hi,

This is not necessary a complaint but could be if Betfair are breaking the law.
Has anyone else found that Betfair doesn't require the correct CV2 (CVV) number? To be fair, I haven't used them for a while but when I did, i could make a deposit regardless of the CV2 number I entered.

Jack

Not up on out of the US cards, but if you put in the wrong CVV number when using a US card, it won't work.

Why would you not put in the correct number if they ask for it?

Last edited:
They are certainly breaking their "duty of care", as this number is the ONLY thing that stands between your money and someone that has your card details, but not the actual card. The full card number is fairly easy for the determined fraudster or hacker to get hold of, and the expiry date can be derived from the card number so I have heard by using some kind of algorithm. What is much harder to get hold of is the security code on the back, which makes it harder to fool an online retailer with just the card details alone. Fraudsters will target the weakest security, hence they will target Betfair with stolen cards. If the genuine cardholder loses funds through fraud it will be easier to show that Betfair was negligent, and so the banks are more likely to refund the money, and more likely to chase Betfair over this lax attitude to security.

This also leaves Betfair open to chargeback fraud, where a fraudster DELIBERATELY enters the wrong code, and when he loses (maybe to other players in his "ring" on the exchange), he then tells the bank his card details have been used by someone else, and gets the money back. The process will be easier because an investigation could be lead to see that the CCV checks don't work, and that the fraudster just entered random digits and got lucky first time and thought this was the real code.

It is also dishonest, as it displays a check to the user it does not use, rather than truthfully show that it is one of a handful of merchants that don't even have this first line of defence, let alone the second now recommended, the "Verified by VISA" and "Mastercard Securecode".

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back