Complain - no tourney prize

:confused: Thanks for taking the time to mention that, as someone from North America now living in Europe I do in fact deal with this very often, but I'm not sure what you are specifically referring to. Can you be more specific?

FWIW, I am aware that my speech (and writing) is full of idiomatic expressions. When I'm speaking to someone who may be in an ESL situation I do try to take that into account and speak in plainer terms.

On the other hand I think it's fair and proper to speak your language as you normally would when:
  • - you are speaking to someone for whom English is their mother tongue (as much as VWM and I may differ we do have that in common), or
  • - the idiomatic expressions are 'colour' and your point is made in plainer language elsewhere in the text and,
  • - your audience may actually want to hear those idiomatic expressions as part of their ESL experience.

I would respectfully submit that all of the above apply here, and to most of what I post. If you disagree, or I have misunderstood your point, please feel free to elaborate.

Most of your communication with the OP is pretty straight forward... I think when you and VWM continued on, the OP would be pretty confused. With the exception of "Sorry bud, this issue ain't gonna be setting anybody's hair on fire" said to the OP :) might just :confused: not work so well on those language translators though! :D

Most of your communication with the OP is pretty straight forward... I think when you and VWM continued on, the OP would be pretty confused. With the exception of "Sorry bud, this issue ain't gonna be setting anybody's hair on fire" said to the OP :) might just :confused: not work so well on those language translators though! :D

For shits and giggles I translated the following: "Sorry bud, this issue ain't gonna be setting anybody's hair on fire."

from English to Danish
from Danish to French
from French to Japanese
from Japanese to Serbian
from Serbian to German
from German to English and came up with this:

"Sorry bud, my hair is not firing all the problems."

Okay, everyone can go back to work now.

/derail

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back