Check out my song!!!!

yes it's me and my song. i've got a dilemma right now. Should I sell my music and make a quick buck, letting someone else record it, or pursue life as an artist? It's a hard decision because I could use the money, but each song is like a baby, it's got it's own personality and life.

We are all seeking money for very different reasons.

I am not sure what you should do... and or how easy and or how fast you can sell your lyrics and so forth. :/
If you have the talent like alot may, does not mean the door is open to pursue it though as a career either. Complex.

But as an artist, song writing is a passion and all different kind of ones would just appear inside your mind for you at random times, so maybe sell them in the mean time, if that is possible ?
Though as above, how fast that can happen and so forth I cannot answer it as I have noidea.

I can make $100 000 USD, annually by the end of summer, but then everything I write would be property of the label, not my own. I couldn't pursue my own career as an artist, would give it up to other artists. it's got to be decided by next week. I'm torn.

Wow liva! that's quite amazing, apparently entering the contest paid off! :)
Did they give you a contract to read through? And if yes, did you have it checked by a lawyer or notary, to check if really 'everything' you write would belong to the Label? if so, i would not sign that, but i can hardly imagine there aren't any loopholes, or that it is for a certain time, maybe even a specific amount of titles..

If you only have a week left to decide, and the above is yet unknown, then i would call a lawyer immediately, so you know what exactly you're getting in to:)

Anyway, if they are willing to pay 100K, i suppose they wouldn't mind waiting a day longer, but then again, i have zero experience in the music industry.

Good luck pursuing whichever way you choose!

I would then say sell them off.

As artists these days are all about the body and face, not saying anything here towards you please please dont hate me or take it the wrong way.

But look at how many come and go... its sex sells situation, not many real true artists around.
Look at all the old schools coming back making new albums and etc..

Music is not what it once was... sex sells. Looks sell and so forth.

I've been a singer myself so I know what dilemma you must go through now. To be able to perform, being on a stage gives you a better kick than gambling :)
I didn't believe in myself enough and then it was too late and my voice was more or less destroyed. I miss it though, so much.

That's one thing for you to think about. For how long can you keep your voice? Are you good enough for your songs? What is most important, that your songs are heard or that people hear you?

If you take the money you will at least be able to do what you love. Who cares when your life is over who owns the songs if someone at least are listening to them.

Good luck whatever you choose to do. Know I'm very jelous right now :thumbsup:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

this is a few more songs...A record exec wants to rehaul Burnie, thinks it's the hit. The deal is for 10 songs a year, $100, 000 for the first year. No contract yet, just talk. I want a clause that makes my next year's salary dependent on the performance of the previous years material, with right to refusal. Anything I write while under a licensing agreement is first dibs of the label. I have a lawyer lined up, just waiting for the paperwork. Was thinking I would try to sell just Burnie, not sign all my rights away. The trick to the contract is that I sign away my royalties, which the lawyer says is common.

Hmm. definitely wait til the lawyer gets the papers, but my first question would be, for how many years this contract would be active?

Anyway, i think it's best you and your lawyer decide, but i also find it odd he said that giving away royalties was common..
But as said before, what do i know about the music industry? Nothing really :D

Maybe it's an idea to check out some musicians forum? I bet there are some more knowledgeable peeps then us silly gamblers! :lolup:

Agree, look through all paper work.

Tough decision, think long about it and hard.
Not just from one point of view, your own.

What is your heading telling you at this point in time ?

yes it's me and my song. i've got a dilemma right now. Should I sell my music and make a quick buck, letting someone else record it, or pursue life as an artist? It's a hard decision because I could use the money, but each song is like a baby, it's got it's own personality and life.

It's a very good song and nicely sung by you. I have no idea on how the music industry works but is there anyway you could sell the song but retain the rights or receive royalties from future sales? I know quite a lot of singer/songwriters made their careers from selling songs as well as singing them and the more exposure you get is good for you. It's up to you to decide.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

this is a few more songs...A record exec wants to rehaul Burnie, thinks it's the hit. The deal is for 10 songs a year, $100, 000 for the first year. No contract yet, just talk. I want a clause that makes my next year's salary dependent on the performance of the previous years material, with right to refusal. Anything I write while under a licensing agreement is first dibs of the label. I have a lawyer lined up, just waiting for the paperwork. Was thinking I would try to sell just Burnie, not sign all my rights away. The trick to the contract is that I sign away my royalties, which the lawyer says is common.

I would't sign any possibility of royalties away. History is riddled with songwriters that did that and ended up regretting it. You could take a smaller salary and get s slice of the royalty pie. You are a good songwriter and that is proven by the interest that is shown in you so if I were you I'd get a very good entertainment lawyer to help you negotiate the best deal for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back