Calvin Ayre's prediction on online poker regulation in the US

BodogBecky

Dormant account
Hello, hello! For those of you who are interested in the subject of online poker and the chances of regulation in the US, have a look at the article that Calvin just released- it's an interesting one for sure. :thumbsup:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Becky

This article by Calvin Ayre's, owner of Bodog entertainment, who also is not a U.S. citizen and resides in Costa Rica, seems to be more about what he hopes for. I would guess the worst thing that could happen to him at this point, is a legalization bill getting passed.

From this tropical oasis, Ayre has dodged and taunted those enemies, the main one being the U.S. Department of Justice. His Bodog Entertainment Group is in the not very kosher business of Web gambling. It takes bets from 16 million customers, most of them in the U.S. And that appears to violate the law--Title 18, Section 1084 of the U.S. Code--which forbids using telephones or other communication devices in interstate or foreign commerce in order to take bets. Online gambling, whether it is located offshore or not, is illegal when it comes to the United States and its citizens, says a Justice Department official who works on Internet gambling crimes. Ayre presumably has not just the vice squad but the tax collectors in a huff. While 95% of his sales come from the U.S., the 44-year-old doesnt pay a nickel in corporate or personal income tax here.

Mr. Ayre's no doubt would prefer things to stay just the way they are now. I would also assume that if a bill were passed all online sites taking bets since the UIGEA was passed would remain banned from the U.S. which I think would also include Poker Stars. If this in fact were the case all U.S. players would no doubt move on to safe and authorized sites in the U.S. or abroad. Bodog and all the rest that still took bets would end up with a dry sponge. We in the U.S. were grateful for guys like Calvin who took chances to keep us U.S. players in action. But these people may end up burnt one way or the other, sooner or later.

Of course he would be forced to sell his interests to a legal operation in hopes of getting a piece of the U.S. pie. which would be a far cry from his current status. (not that he needs the money)

I find Harrah's present posture with online gambling, to be a better indication of whats to come.

In addition if the Democrats don't get this done before things change around again, then I'm convinced we will be screwed for years to come.

IMHO (based on my own speculation) - The US will need to re-elect a liberal government for a 2nd term to get this in action. I don't believe they'll get around to it this term. . . too many pressing issues to "succeed" in first.

Response from Calvin

Hey guys-

I sent Calvin the link to this thread and below is his response:

Wishing something happens is not a good business strategy. I try to predict what I think will happen so that I can make reasonable guesses. My articles are my opinions, the same opinions I use to make my decisions. They are also shared by a lot of prominent people in the industry, who do not publish them like I do, but I link to one person who shares them in my editorial piece, Anthony Cabot. If I had my wish things would return to how they were pre UIEGA, before I was forced to sell bodog.com for way less than it was previously worth, I have little reason to wish them to stay as they are. As you Rebecca know, my record of predicting things in this industry has been good. I told you in Montreal in spring 2006 that if the US were to clamp down that all the public companies would be the first ones attacked and they would all have to leave the US. It happened later that year. I did not wish this, I merely predicted it, my wish was for things to stay as they were.

Thanks!
Becky

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back