Brexit - whats the difference.....

Well, did the fortnightly food shop this morning, no empty shelves, 100% of goods were there **Haywards Strong Pickled Onions excepted** and traffic at the filling station was normal, although it apparently did run out yesterday evening so must've been refilled sometime today.

I think if you live in an area where the populace are of average intelligence or higher, you won't see panic buying stampedes.

Hackney yes, Harrogate no sort-of-thing.

Noticed the petrol issue today; 4 stops/non-stops at stations to get petrol, the one i got was lucky as the petrol was ok, diesel out though.

Probably not helped by some twats filling their 4 cars at the house up and then driving home to let them sit there for a week.

Always wonder if the news reporting causes issues as some of the morons wouldn't have ventured out had they not read/watched some of the sensationalised stories.

Could be a strategic move to try and increase electric sales (i looked at them before i got a new car but decided it was one car change too soon - i'm sure Greta will be greeting)

Noticed the petrol issue today; 4 stops/non-stops at stations to get petrol, the one i got was lucky as the petrol was ok, diesel out though.

Probably not helped by some twats filling their 4 cars at the house up and then driving home to let them sit there for a week.

Always wonder if the news reporting causes issues as some of the morons wouldn't have ventured out had they not read/watched some of the sensationalised stories.

Could be a strategic move to try and increase electric sales (i looked at them before i got a new car but decided it was one car change too soon - i'm sure Greta will be greeting)
Funny I had the same thought today, this will now nudge more new car buyers electric...we're in for a bumpy ride it seems, gas and petrol being phased out this decade, plus cash probably...meanwhile china, india and other well populated places burning coal like mad and probably still using gas etc..

Now I'm not even remotely suggesting this is a MAJOR BREXIT CALAMITY, but it's just a small personal story from our own family.

A few months ago our daughter had what she called 'a downsizing programme' where she donated hundreds of her various cuddly and soft toys to the local hospice shop (it took two runs in the car to get them all out there, in cash terms I daren't quite even think about the total spend they represented, but they were at least going to a good cause).

Anyway, since then she's been expressing regret about a very small number of the ones she let go, and we've had various efforts to either get the actual toy back, or an identical replacement. (The high point of this was where Mrs Chopley managed to get a shout out on the main local radio station here, which was heard by a lady who lived on the west of the island who'd bought one of the toys, she returned it to the shop and Jnr was subsequently reunited with it, to her absolute delight.)

In the last couple of days Jnr has been starting to get upset about another toy that she let go, (for the record, she's autistic, and when she gets fixated on something, she can really get fixated on it), and Mrs Chopley has once again set upon the quest to find an identical replacement, and she finally tracked down the company that makes and sells them - they're based in Denmark. (Again, for the record, Mrs Chopley has been amazing at this several times over now with the 'downsizing programme aftermath'.)

You know what's coming next, Mrs Chopley tried to order a single toy from this company in Denmark, there was no option to ship to UK addresses (IOM is treated as an extension of the UK for this purpose), so she emailed them and explained why we wanted to buy the toy. A lovely lady in Denmark replied to her and said she was really sorry but they simply can't ship to the UK anymore for single item orders, or indeed even any sort of order smaller than an entire pallet of product, because the red tape, costs, customs declarations, form filling, unknown 'extras' that are liable to be added on and general fuckery with doing business with the UK now makes it completely uneconomical for them to do so.

This time last year they'd have just popped the toy in a padded envelope and put it in the post.

Yes I know it's just one disabled child who can't get a toy she wants, it's a tiny little 'Brexit story', it's not even a blip on the radar, but it's the type of story that is being repeated all across the UK on an individual and business level thousands of times over every single day.

And once again I'm left wondering, where's the good stuff? What are the benefits we're reaping for this damage we've done to ourselves? I always thought 'getting back our fish' was a pretty crappy argument for the Leave campaign considering the tiny fraction of GDP that fishing represents, and we didn't even get the fucking fish back, and instead actually devastated swathes of our fishing industry because they now experience the same as what the toy company in Denmark found - namely UK<>EU business just got a lot harder, and more expensive, and more bureaucratic.

Current plan is one of Mrs Chopley's friends in France has offered to have the toy shipped to her in France, and she'll take on the hassle of getting it over to us here.

Yay Brexit.

1632591699014.png

Last edited:
Funny I had the same thought today, this will now nudge more new car buyers electric...we're in for a bumpy ride it seems, gas and petrol being phased out this decade, plus cash probably...meanwhile china, india and other well populated places burning coal like mad and probably still using gas etc..
We're not too bad here for when it does happen - can install the chargers at home, but not sure for a lot of places, no driveways etc, how they'd go about it....all i've heard is soundbites; 'we will go fully electric' etc but with, maybe with similarities to this thread title, little meat on the bones :p

The E Cars are growing, albeit very slow so the economies of scale for lower prices etc aren't really there yet.

As a side note - go try the E Scooters in places that have them: they're cracking :p

Now I'm not even remotely suggesting this is a MAJOR BREXIT CALAMITY, but it's just a small personal story from our own family.

A few months ago our daughter had what she called 'a downsizing programme' where she donated hundreds of her various cuddly and soft toys to the local hospice shop (it took two runs in the car to get them all out there, in cash terms I daren't quite even think about the total spend they represented, but they were at least going to a good cause).

Anyway, since then she's been expressing regret about a very small number of the ones she let go, and we've had various efforts to either get the actual toy back, or an identical replacement. (The high point of this was where Mrs Chopley managed to get a shout out on the main local radio station here, which was heard by a lady who lived on the west of the island who'd bought one of the toys, she returned it to the shop and Jnr was subsequently reunited with it, to her absolute delight.)

In the last couple of days Jnr has been starting to get upset about another toy that she let go, (for the record, she's autistic, and when she gets fixated on something, she can really get fixated on it), and Mrs Chopley has once again set upon the quest to find an identical replacement, and she finally tracked down the company that makes and sells them - they're based in Denmark. (Again, for the record, Mrs Chopley has been amazing at this several times over now with the 'downsizing programme aftermath'.)

You know what's coming next, Mrs Chopley tried to order a single toy from this company in Denmark, there was no option to ship to UK addresses (IOM is treated as an extension of the UK for this purpose), so she emailed them and explained why we wanted to buy the toy. A lovely lady in Denmark replied to her and said she was really sorry but they simply can't ship to the UK anymore for single item orders, or indeed even any sort of order smaller than an entire pallet of product, because the red tape, costs, customs declarations, form filling, unknown 'extras' that are liable to be added on and general fuckery with doing business with the UK now makes it completely uneconomical for them to do so.

This time last year they'd have just popped the toy in a padded envelope and put it in the post.

Yes I know it's just one disabled child who can't get a toy she wants, it's a tiny little 'Brexit story', it's not even a blip on the radar, but it's the type of story that is being repeated all across the UK on an individual and business level thousands of times over every single day.

And once again I'm left wondering, where's the good stuff? What are the benefits we're reaping for this damage we've done to ourselves? I always thought 'getting back our fish' was a pretty crappy argument for the Leave campaign considering the tiny fraction of GDP that fishing represents, and we didn't even get the fucking fish back, and instead actually devastated swathes of our fishing industry because they now experience the same as what the toy company in Denmark found - namely UK<>EU business just got a lot harder, and more expensive, and more bureaucratic.

Current plan is one of Mrs Chopley's friends in France has offered to have the toy shipped to her in France, and she'll take on the hassle of getting it over to us here.

Yay Brexit.

View attachment 158858
Do you reckon it was a remainer or a leaver?

And answers or intelligent suggestions came there none.
Yeah, that frame of mind but I thought you'd already solved the problem? Anyway, off to queue at a garage, panic buy some broccoli and buy some 50% RTP lotto tickets.

And answers or intelligent suggestions came there none.
That is a touching story Chop, but my annoyance is reserved for whoever designed/created this red tape, it sounds overly restrictive, costly and complicated. I'm sure I could go on ebay and buy something from the far east or india without much trouble. Therefore I cannot understand how a danish firm faces such obstacles to post you a cuddly toy, esp when extra delivery costs for the receiver is not an important issue. I hope you and mrs D can get a successful outcome for your daughter.

We're not too bad here for when it does happen - can install the chargers at home, but not sure for a lot of places, no driveways etc, how they'd go about it....all i've heard is soundbites; 'we will go fully electric' etc but with, maybe with similarities to this thread title, little meat on the bones :p

The E Cars are growing, albeit very slow so the economies of scale for lower prices etc aren't really there yet.

As a side note - go try the E Scooters in places that have them: they're cracking :p
I'll probably wait until robin reliant bring out an electric 3 wheeler, bout what my budget might stretch to, or the ultimate in green tech ... a horse and cart :oops: :laugh:

Those scooters are lightning fast, but thief magnets i'd expect atm.

I'll probably wait until robin reliant bring out an electric 3 wheeler, bout what my budget might stretch to, or the ultimate in green tech ... a horse and cart :oops: :laugh:

Those scooters are lightning fast, but thief magnets i'd expect atm.
Yeah, didn't realise you can only use them in places that have grant schemes for them (like town centres), rather than weave through the estates :laugh:

Tbh, places abroad has a better infrastructure to enjoy them but still good for places with long water fronts etc , that way no one can see u go arse over elbow.

You could ride in on a horse and declare yourself the Covid saviour, whilst playing Raging Rhino while the horse does the hard work for u :p

That is a touching story Chop, but my annoyance is reserved for whoever designed/created this red tape, it sounds overly restrictive, costly and complicated. I'm sure I could go on ebay and buy something from the far east or india without much trouble. Therefore I cannot understand how a danish firm faces such obstacles to post you a cuddly toy, esp when extra delivery costs for the receiver is not an important issue. I hope you and mrs D can get a successful outcome for your daughter.

Thank you mack I appreciate the comment.

The good news is that the line of accountability to the people who are responsible for this new red tape is completely clear and easy to establish, it's the Tories and their shit Brexit deal that Johnson lied his arse off about, telling everyone how great and oven-ready it was.

There's a good piece in the Guardian today about Barnier and the Brexit negotiations, to say we were massively outclassed would be putting it very, very mildly. But then again, we hadn't had to do any trade negotiations for decades because the EU did it all for us (and did a very good job of it), we sent a David Davis and a Dominic 'I'm surprised how reliant we are on the port of Dover' Raab to a Barnier fight and it went as well as you might imagine.

(Honestly, just take a few minutes out of your day to read this article, we got bent over and rodded on a biblical scale. It's no one else's fault, the referendum and Brexit all happened on the Tories' watch - this shit is on them.)

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Rarely do we see the thinking of the other side of a negotiation so quickly, while the trail is still warm. Michel Barnier’s new book helps explain why Britain ended up being comprehensively out-negotiated over Brexit and saddled with a flawed withdrawal agreement and a deeply disadvantageous future relationship, both of which will cause us major problems for decades to come. This is therefore an important account.

1632642330745.png

Daily Mail surprised to find that telling people to fuck off for years eventually results in them doing exactly that.

I see the government is now proposing to pass emergency legislation to make it easier for EU workers to come to the UK.

1632649449509.png
Also, Covid and the 'pingdemic' aren't washing as an excuse any longer, with a majority of people polled, including 52% of Leave voters, now saying that they at least partly blame Brexit for all the shit that's going on.

1632649644337.png

Two thirds (67%) of voters believe the government has handled the crisis badly, according to a new Opinium poll for the Observer. Even a majority of Conservative voters (59%) thought that the government had responded badly. The majority (68%) said Brexit was partly to blame, including 88% of Remain voters and 52% of Leave voters.

And another one from the Daily Mail, just to remind Chopley that there are fuel shortages have affected countries all over the world ….

Attachments

• 1C90B60A-64BD-4746-BA43-467342B8B0C5.jpeg
    1C90B60A-64BD-4746-BA43-467342B8B0C5.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 9
Daily Mail surprised to find that telling people to fuck off for years eventually results in them doing exactly that.

I see the government is now proposing to pass emergency legislation to make it easier for EU workers to come to the UK.

View attachment 158877
Also, Covid and the 'pingdemic' aren't washing as an excuse any longer, with a majority of people polled, including 52% of Leave voters, now saying that they at least partly blame Brexit for all the shit that's going on.

View attachment 158883

Two thirds (67%) of voters believe the government has handled the crisis badly, according to a new Opinium poll for the Observer. Even a majority of Conservative voters (59%) thought that the government had responded badly. The majority (68%) said Brexit was partly to blame, including 88% of Remain voters and 52% of Leave voters.

We advertised for another 15 drivers. Advert went up a week ago. 98 applicants so far, none of which reside outside of the UK.

You can get drivers but if you're not prepared to pay a decent wage that goes with the job, you will have drivers leaving for other Companies.

I have been with my current Company for some 17 years. Other than drivers passing away, being sacked or retiring, not one person has left to go and work elsewhere.

Let me know if that doesn't work out as planned. If they ship it to Germany I'm happy to send it over to the IOM. No kid should suffer just because some politicians can't agree on a trading deal.

Let me know if that doesn't work out as planned. If they ship it to Germany I'm happy to send it over to the IOM. No kid should suffer just because some politicians can't agree on a trading deal.
You'll face exactly the same issues as Denmark if you do this as deliveries to the IoM are done via the UK's customs and mail checks. We need to set up an international soft toy smuggling route. Cornwall needs to get its smugglers' caves back in action where contraband was brought in from Spain and France back in the 17 and 1800's. Failing that, I suggest you buy/order some UK postage stamps online, wrap it up, address it and drive to Calais. Hand it over to one of the illegal migrants awaiting a clandestine channel crossing through our porous borders and slip them £50 to drop it into a UK post office when they get here, then it will be considered a UK internal parcel and not subject to customs or checks. If that fails then I believe if its sent to a UK national in Australia, Canada, S. Africa or NZ they can ship it over here with no duty if it's marked as a 'gift' and is worth less than £30.

P.S. When it has made its round-the-world trip there could be some more delays. Royal Mail probably don't have enough truck drivers to pick it up from the mail centre and distribute it, if they do they won't have any fuel to do the job anyway. Even if we're OK on those two points, the drivers may well be in hospital suffering from starvation as we don't have any food left on the shelves for various reasons. Those who do have food and fuel may go on strike as there's a 5% chance they won't have a turkey for Christmas and they didn't get on the waiting list quick enough. Those who don't go on strike and carry on working because either they couldn't care less about turkeys or don't bother with Christmas full-stop, will then probably be off work with stress as the Suez Canal blockage and worldwide shipping capacity shortage means that they can't get their cheap plastic Chinese junk for their kids' Christmas stockings. So we have a challenge here.

Anyway, I'm off out now to sit in a queue with my car engine idling and burning off £20 worth of fuel before I finally get to a working pump and top it up with erm... another £20 of fuel. :laugh:

Last edited:

Thanks bowki that's very kind, I really appreciate it.

Good news folks, famous notable Brain Void John Redwood has worked it out. (Once again, I had to check this wasn't from the John Redwood parody account.)

Why stop there John, if you can ride a scooter why not pilot airplanes, or go straight to nuclear physicist if you can strike a match?

1632732989528.png

I assume tomorrow's headline will be 'We're going to tell our mum you're being mean'.

Clearly a slight failure of logic since if Brexit is nothing to do with the crisis, why then is the proposed solution to pass emergency legislation to, erm, allow EU workers to come back to the UK, in a reversal of Brexit rules?

1632737501394.png

Good news folks, famous notable Brain Void John Redwood has worked it out. (Once again, I had to check this wasn't from the John Redwood parody account.)

Why stop there John, if you can ride a scooter why not pilot airplanes, or go straight to nuclear physicist if you can strike a match?

View attachment 158899

Admittedly that's not the best wisdom share from the Vulcan, but when he speaks the hoc listens, one of the last of the old school.

My Brother in law has a Telsa he bought a couple years ago. Rode in it this past summer, quite the car. He's a big bernie sanders guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back